Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 42 of 84 FirstFirst ... 32404142434452 ... LastLast
    Thanks Don i might just take some classes ,I have been unemployed for 4 1/2 years might as well do something more with my time .

Red face Back to skool

Well, it is not like I have not prepared for this choice, as you can see. I am hoping that sharing my school experiences can enlighten and enhance the product that turns out. My fellow students tend to not share the same level of enthusiasm for their craft, but then again, their respective experiences are a far cry from my own.

Anecdotally speaking: I remember when I was 18-22 yrs old ... school was not that exciting and film photography cost an arm and a leg, if you did any appreciable amount of it. With digital: the life of the party is the sheer, almost free cost of producing images. I decided to take the respective cost of film and put it into buying equipment to enhance the pursuit.

I mean everyone is welcome to justify how may pursue their photography, but I can clearly remember the costs of the E-6 process. I mean $300 for "potentially" 30 printed images (normally just 24 good ones) gives you a lot of fiscal leeway. That is, again, if you are doing any reasonable amount of imaging.

Have fun in your educational pursuit. It has been a mixed bag for me, so far.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 02-02-2011 at 09:19 PM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

I understand but to grasp a hold of some more Knowledge is always nice for me . Just like growing my orchids there's always room for Knowledge .When you think you know it all then you have stopped growing i have always said. I'm 37 and i haven't even cracked the ice of most stuff i have learned in life.

Lightbulb Striving for that look ...

Whether they realize it or not, everyone pushes for a persona in their work, to give it a look all their own. It is kind of like an unmentioned signature or thread that someone can see through your imagining.

A style, a look ... something tangible, yet not.

Anyway, here is another look at one of the images I took on Tuesday, BEFORE that monster storm. I don't know, but maybe I do better work better under pressure. Don't even ask how I got a cave entrance into the studio.

"... and in the darkness, bind them."

Name:  _DSC5701-cave-reduced.jpg
Views: 78
Size:  645.7 KB
    EXIF: SONY α850 w/ SIGMA 24-70mm f/2.8 EX DG HSM IF
    @ 60mm - f/8 - 1/250mm - ISO-200 - CWA - Studio Strobes - Remote trigger

It has a haunting look to it, does it not?
    Last edited by DonSchap; 02-03-2011 at 10:21 PM.
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

2011 College Photo Contest finalist

Getting there Don. Still a little bit of green screen hue in her hair at the top right. I'm still trying to decipher my notes to post the green screen tutorial.

But for now, I just received word that one of the four photos I submitted to the Photographers Forum 2011 Best in College Photography contest made the finals out of 13,960 submissions.

Name:  College Photo Contest.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  460.9 KB
    Darin Wessel
    α 900
    Zooms: Tamron SP AF70-200mm f2.8 Di LD Macro; Sigma 28-90mm D macro, Konica-Minolta 18-70 f3.5-5.6
    Primes: Minolta 28mm f2.8; Sony 50mm f1.4
    Minolta RC-1000 remote commander

Film:
    Calumet Cambo CC400 4x5 View Camera
    YashikaMat 6x6 TLR (other accessories)
    Minolta Maxxum 7000 w/ Minolta 35-80mm f/4-5.6 & Minolta 2800 flash
    Minolta Maxxum 5000i & Vivitar 728 AFM flash
    What's next???

Nice one, Darin, it looks ... surreal!

Thumbs up Definitely

Attention-getting, Darin.

You and Frank have really enjoyed the experimentation angle of photography with some awesome results.

Most excellent and thank you both for sharing your efforts. They are inspiring. Keep 'm coming ...

flickr & Sdi

Quote Originally Posted by Peekayoh View Post
    Nice one, Darin, it looks ... surreal!
    x2, that is superb.
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

Thanks to all.
    Here's the three that didn't make it.
    Name:  College Photo Contest-2.jpg
Views: 49
Size:  360.8 KB

Name:  College Photo Contest-3.jpg
Views: 48
Size:  584.4 KB

Name:  College Photo Contest-0237.jpg
Views: 48
Size:  366.3 KB

I've posted some of these before.
    Darin Wessel
    α 900
    Zooms: Tamron SP AF70-200mm f2.8 Di LD Macro; Sigma 28-90mm D macro, Konica-Minolta 18-70 f3.5-5.6
    Primes: Minolta 28mm f2.8; Sony 50mm f1.4
    Minolta RC-1000 remote commander

Film:
    Calumet Cambo CC400 4x5 View Camera
    YashikaMat 6x6 TLR (other accessories)
    Minolta Maxxum 7000 w/ Minolta 35-80mm f/4-5.6 & Minolta 2800 flash
    Minolta Maxxum 5000i & Vivitar 728 AFM flash
    What's next???

Thumbs up Development of an idea

Another variant "product shot" is added to the list, using an "original" background as requested by the instructor.

Name:  _DSC5578-worked-stars-w-logo-&-slogan-contrast.jpg
Views: 36
Size:  490.8 KB

Happily, as I use Photoshop, I am figuring out a better solution to reflected green issues. A lot of masking and replacement color.

This should be a "finalist" for the Project images
    Last edited by DonSchap; 02-09-2011 at 08:38 AM.

flickr & Sdi