Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 41 of 84 FirstFirst ... 31394041424351 ... LastLast

Green Screen Options and Editing

So I found my notes from the recent Pasadena Lightroom Imaging Group presentation on editing green screen images. The only problem is that they were mostly written in the dark while trying to watch what was being done on the projector.

So, over the next couple of days I'll be posting some of the editing tips on this subject. (I normally would have tried to figure out my notes and post it in one shot, but I have a number of deadline projects due at work.)

Green screen on a budget.
    Can't afford a green screen back drop ... paint your own using Behr candy apple green luster. Don't use gloss because it can produce hot spots, especially when using flash, that don't match the same green color.

Preliminary Editing and Selection
    Using Adobe RAW or Lightroom, increase the saturation and reduce the contrast. This helps in the color selection later.

Then open as a "Smart Object" in PS. (This will allow you to perform additional adjustments to the RAW file later, namely adding the contrast back in.)

Using the eyedropper tool take a 5x5 or 11x11 sample of the most saturated area of green screen.

That's all for now ... stay tuned for more later.
    Darin Wessel
    α 900
    Zooms: Tamron SP AF70-200mm f2.8 Di LD Macro; Sigma 28-90mm D macro, Konica-Minolta 18-70 f3.5-5.6
    Primes: Minolta 28mm f2.8; Sony 50mm f1.4
    Minolta RC-1000 remote commander

Film:
    Calumet Cambo CC400 4x5 View Camera
    YashikaMat 6x6 TLR (other accessories)
    Minolta Maxxum 7000 w/ Minolta 35-80mm f/4-5.6 & Minolta 2800 flash
    Minolta Maxxum 5000i & Vivitar 728 AFM flash
    What's next???

Cool If time is of the essence

Quote Originally Posted by DWessel View Post
    That's all for now ... stay tuned for more later.
    Thanks, Darin.

Hopefully some of the other members can muck around with this type of active masking.

The fact is, today, I was catching "flack" from the instructor for copping to this rather flexible electronic background. He would prefer that I do some kind of experimental active and genuine background in the actual camera shot ... making it unique and creative, but that usually takes timing and coordination. Most of all, it arguably takes a flippin' staff of people timing everything to a faction of the second. Oh, you can get a clever robotic solution, I suppose and have the computer time everything, but that also takes some planning and the pure engineering of it. Then, of course, the trial & testing. Believe me when I say, I am not against doing it that way, but I only have so many "extra" hours in my week and I cannot see that happening. It is just not practical.

Heck, I cannot even get other students to show up on time or even feign interest! The school does not reward cooperation, in my opinion. Everyone seems to be striking out on their own for a more controllable, albeit less sensational result. I think it may be an indicator of my fellow student's rather lackluster efforts that I have witnessed in the past year. Personally, I feel the participating members of this forum are far ahead of anything that is tangibly coming from the ranks of students I have met. In a way, that is exciting and worthy of note. Ambition does not reside in where you learn, but how you learn and where you heart is.

Aside from the students, ask family to help ... yeah, right! Good luck with that.

Sorry, but as much as I would love to get a modicum of real cooperation ... all it really is going to do is co-opt my creation to the point of failure.

Okay, I may attempt some cute thing or two for the background, just to placate the initiative and say "I did that", but when the final image is being done, it will probably be a "green screen" screamer. The sheer 'control factor' is just too ... well, it is practically intoxicating. <- sunglasses to cover my lust-for-power bloodshot eyes!
    Last edited by DonSchap; 01-27-2011 at 08:39 AM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Just remember who gives out the grades.
    Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

Red face Just throw it in the mixmaster and stand back!

Believe me, Peter, I have had my fill of academics dictating my work. Cripes, it is the rage, I would say. The idea of artistic license often seems to be a conservative 55mph on the open highway of photographic production.

Over and over, they say "this is a place to experiment and go beyond the norm." Personally, it still boils down to the critique and somebody's opinion, no matter what you did or attempted to do.

After years and years of the "safe" & practical world, I am not buying this drivel, nor do I believe that they practice what they preach. It is all about control, usually being yours against theirs. Even presenting on the forums, we are "limited" in one way or another.

Yeah, I guess it is about the grade ... but, I had hoped I could shape it a little better than this random hodgepodge it appears to be.

EDIT: May shooting date has moved to next week, instead of this weekend ... but for my patience, I believe I may have MUA (Make-up Artist) support that I did not have for Saturday. The added attraction is that it will be for TFP (time for pictures) and not be an outlay of $$$, from a very good and established artist.

Again, there is so much to this relatively little shoot, it has all sorts of trepidations inside of it. Yeah, even I get nervous when I involve other people. There are so many contingencies and problems you try to mitigate, but it seems more like toleration than much of anything else. If you can just get through the shot ... review it ... and suddenly realize what it is you FORGOT! A light here, a reflector there, a slight twist of the subject's anatomy ... a localized highlight you always want but just cannot quite get the angle.

Lord knows I have one of the best models in the industry, in my opinion (as well as a few others) ... and cooperation, as we all should know, is totally key to almost any shoot.

Will it actually turn out? Every time ... I can only wonder.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 01-28-2011 at 08:31 PM.
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Smile Stepping out ... way out

Here is a 'green screen' "1969 Lunar Landing" taken with the TAMRON SP AF 90mm f/2.8 Di 1:1 MACRO lens

Name:  _DSC5487---Moon-Landing.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  81.6 KB
    EXIF: SONY α850 w/ TAMRON SP AF 90mm f/2.8 DI 1:1 MACRO
    @ f/22 - 1/250 sec - ISO-200 - 4x Studio Strobe - Dist: 3-ft - Green Screen backdrop

Guess you had to be there, huh? Back when they invented "color" digital imaging? As I recall, it was all B&W, back in ol' '69

Name:  _DSC5487---Moon-Landing-B&W.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  74.9 KB
    Last edited by DonSchap; 01-31-2011 at 01:21 PM.

flickr & Sdi

Don,

Given the shadows on the moon, I would think that it would be a crescent Earth in the background.
    Darin Wessel
    α 900
    Zooms: Tamron SP AF70-200mm f2.8 Di LD Macro; Sigma 28-90mm D macro, Konica-Minolta 18-70 f3.5-5.6
    Primes: Minolta 28mm f2.8; Sony 50mm f1.4
    Minolta RC-1000 remote commander

Film:
    Calumet Cambo CC400 4x5 View Camera
    YashikaMat 6x6 TLR (other accessories)
    Minolta Maxxum 7000 w/ Minolta 35-80mm f/4-5.6 & Minolta 2800 flash
    Minolta Maxxum 5000i & Vivitar 728 AFM flash
    What's next???

Red face Good point ...

I'll horse around and give the Moon's surface a 90-degree twist.

That is a lot easier than moving the Sun, although it is Apollo we are talking about.

"Yield, I say, you mighty steeds!"

-beep- "Hey, did you feel that, Buzz?"

-beep- "Yeah. I think it was the Man in the Moon. The Earth just shifted 90 to the right!"

-beep- "In the immortal misquoted words of Jim Lovell, who has not spoken them yet ... 'Houston ... we have a problem'."

Name:  _DSC5497-adj.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  74.9 KB

Name:  _DSC5497-adj-B&W.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  64.3 KB

The devil is in the details, eh? Better?
    Last edited by DonSchap; 01-31-2011 at 01:20 PM.

flickr & Sdi

Talking Green Scream

Okay,

I had a little fun with the "green screen", today, right before "THE STORM" (and I mean just an hour, too) ... and did a preliminary look with my model in exotic make-up.

I wish we had had more time to explore the possibilities, but ...hey, they closed the school at 3:00pm and it is closed, tomorrow, too.

Name:  _DSC5577-worked.jpg
Views: 60
Size:  179.8 KB

This just the first ... still plunging through the shots

EDIT: Hopped in with a B&W rendition:

"So, little human ... back in my space, again"

Name:  _DSC5601-reworked-B&W.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  211.6 KB
    Last edited by DonSchap; 02-02-2011 at 06:41 AM.

flickr & Sdi

Don, selection needs a bit of refining, but otherwise ....

Lightbulb Dynamics of "the room" ...

With the curved green room, I can see how the video use of the room makes for a frame-to-frame exchange during a moving transition, but stills tend get creamed by the angular reflections. The flat drape was much better at this (less edge reflection angle), but mine is a little too small (10' x 12') for full body shots. the larger 10' x 24' allows for a better spread, for the lamp placement, but I do not have a 24' room to do this in.

On second thought, there is a clear area up on the other side of the 5th floor, in the building, but it is lined with exterior windows, so there will be some "additional" lighting issues that would need to be draped or, perhaps, I could shoot at night.

That $200 expense for the backdrop is a knock in the head, though. Man, I need a benefactor/patron-of-the-arts or something.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 02-02-2011 at 03:44 PM.

flickr & Sdi