Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 33 of 84 FirstFirst ... 2331323334354383 ... LastLast
    id suggest you have a long way to go before thats something you need to worry about don. lol
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

Look, Mate,

I already had my heart set on tomorrow morning, so do not be handing me guff about it. It is my disappointment ... and I'll manage it as I will. I get plenty of practice on and off the battlefield, thank you.

Here's lookin' out for a better day. -click-
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

I'll drink to that, hic!!!

Talking Big Bear Buddy

Well, it was back to the zoo, today, to collect more images for the 50-page volume I have to create for the Photo Essay.

Overall, I think I did get a couple of interesting shots. What really made me smile was when I walked up to the polar bear and he seemed to recognize me from last week's encounter, in the tank. We were at the opposite end of the enclosure ... the on land, dry end. As I walked up, he turned, saw me, stopped what he was doing, walked over to the huge window that was between us, again only separating us by scant inches and began rolling around and rubbing up against the glass, as if asking me to give him a good scratchin', like I do with my pup.

It kind of freaked the people out, that were walking up behind me. They all congregated, to see this.

Don't get me wrong, I have no intention of going one-on-one with the polar bruin, but it was rather amazing to me, that he would be so motivated when he saw me to do that. He literally ignored everyone else. Must be my white-chin fuzz ... he can relate.

"Hey, go ahead and give me a scratch, big guy!"

Name:  _DSC3266-adj.jpg
Views: 81
Size:  439.2 KB
    a850 w/ SIGMA 24-70 f/2.8
    @ 35mm - f/3.5 - 1/200th sec - ISO-400 - Manual - AF - Handheld

Sure made a mess of the window, licking and nosin' it ... then with the paws.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 11-14-2010 at 03:04 PM.
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Quote Originally Posted by DonSchap View Post
    What really made me smile was when I walked up to the polar bear and he seemed to recognize me from last week's encounter, in the tank. We were at the opposite end of the enclosure ... the on land, dry end. As I walked up, he turned, saw me, stopped what he was doing, walked over to the huge window that was between us, again only separating us by scant inches and began rolling around and rubbing up against the glass ...

Sure made a mess of the window, licking and nosin' it ... then with the paws.
    Don,

He may have come over saying mmmmhhhhhh, good meal behind that glass.

Or, more likely, he said to himself, hey there's that photographer guy that keeps taking pictures of me. Well let's see how he likes a big dirty polar bear. Maybe now he'll leave me alone.
    Darin Wessel
    α 900
    Zooms: Tamron SP AF70-200mm f2.8 Di LD Macro; Sigma 28-90mm D macro, Konica-Minolta 18-70 f3.5-5.6
    Primes: Minolta 28mm f2.8; Sony 50mm f1.4
    Minolta RC-1000 remote commander

Film:
    Calumet Cambo CC400 4x5 View Camera
    YashikaMat 6x6 TLR (other accessories)
    Minolta Maxxum 7000 w/ Minolta 35-80mm f/4-5.6 & Minolta 2800 flash
    Minolta Maxxum 5000i & Vivitar 728 AFM flash
    What's next???

Cool Beatin' up the bruin

Okay,

Bust on my muddy "friend." It was a good time, regardless.

At least he was playful, unlike this Grizzly.

Name:  _DSC3439-crop-adj-small.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  437.5 KB
    a850 w/ SIGMA 24-70mm f/2.8
    @ f/8 - 1 sec. - ISO-400 - Fluorescent WB - Tripod

I also got the Wolves to give me the eye, too!

Name:  _DSC3485-crop-adj.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  556.6 KB
    a850 w/ SONY 70-400mm f/4-5.6 G SSM
    @ 280mm - f/5.6 - 1/125 sec. - ISO-400 - Daylight WB - Tripod - Mecablitz 76 MZ5 fill flash

Last edited by DonSchap; 11-14-2010 at 08:11 PM.

flickr & Sdi

Unhappy Today was a rough day ...

Today, I took on the academic "powers-that-be" .. and the entire group got whacked by the leading authority. No one left un-scarred ... which is the way it should be, I have been told. Oh, there was some really dancing about to behold, but their squirming was evident. I think some underbellies were exposed ... which needed to be.

In general, if you are the only left with mud on your mug, then you picked a bad fight. But, if they're limping and looking sheepish ... your point was made, regardless. Today was such a day. You can't let the bullies win, no matter how "all powerful" they believe themselves to be.

Of course there will be repercussions ... there always are. The simple part ... I stay a student and can still buck the system when they screw up.

flickr & Sdi

what pray tell did you "take on the authorities" about ? how good sony is? lol
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

Quote Originally Posted by DonSchap View Post
    Today, I took on the academic "powers-that-be" .. and the entire group got whacked by the leading authority. No one left un-scarred ... which is the way it should be, I have been told. Oh, there was some really dancing about to behold, but their squirming was evident. I think some underbellies were exposed ... which needed to be.

In general, if you are the only left with mud on your mug, then you picked a bad fight. But, if they're limping and looking sheepish ... your point was made, regardless. Today was such a day. You can't let the bullies win, no matter how "all powerful" they believe themselves to be.

Of course there will be repercussions ... there always are. The simple part ... I stay a student and can still buck the system when they screw up.
    Can you be more specific, Don? All this vague stuff is actually kind of annoying. You don't need to name names, of course. I'm just trying to figure out what you are even talking about...

It revolved around a shoot I had set up ... and I went to a lot a trouble getting it set up and ready for everyone involved ... and "the school" canceled it, because of concern for a no longer existing issue. As you might expect, I was rather annoyed with this position and dealt with it at the very top of the food chain.

Anyway, I was able to save MY shoot from being canceled, but "the class" wound up losing their opportunity, because "the school" still will not accept that the problem has been rectified. Not only that, to demonstrate the "poor sportsmanship" I am dealing with, they are marking me absent, because the two shoots were originally scheduled during the class period (to avoid interference with any other classes) and I will be attending to the shoots and not in class. The worst part, the work being done is specifically for this class.

I suppose I deserve this, because I went the "extra mile" that most students in the class will not and this is the thanks you receive when you do so. It is laughingly juvenile, in the way it is being handled and I am personally disgusted with the continued abuse of authority involved, because I did not let them win and quietly go off into the night. I am seeing this out. I will not disappoint the people I have enlisted to make this shoot happen ... just because some administrator will not relent.

Anyway, tomorrow is the shoot ... and hopefully, I can jack out some cute stuff.

I hope that helps, without getting too specific.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 11-16-2010 at 09:34 AM.

flickr & Sdi