Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Threaded View

Exclamation Noob Alert!

Just kidding ...

Quote Originally Posted by jr_rodriguez View Post
    Don,
    I realize I am a noob, but I don't understand why you are using such small apertures on portraits. I thought those were usually done with larger apertures (softens features, imperfections,etc). Also, it's affecting the bokeh, or lack thereof. Any particular reason for shooting like that?
    Okay, I attended a "glamour shoot" conducted by Calumet Photography, back in September. I, also, used to think that wider aperture was better when it came to doing studio imaging. It is, when you do the close-up, but when you shoot full body ... the wide aperture tend to obliterate arms, legs and anything outside the plane of focus. The longer the lens, the worse this is.

During the glamour shoot, to accommodate all the various lenses and cameras they had in attendance, they upped the flash intensity to an incident light strength of f/11 @ ISO 100 and shutter speed of 1/125 sec..

What that means is that if everyone set their camera in manual mode to these settings, they had the proper light intensity level to take the image. Now, if you wanted to play with the aperture, you could squeak it up to 1/250-sec, but anything higher and your shutter is out of sync with your studio strobe and half the image gets wasted.

Doing the math, a setting of 1/250th-seecond is only halving the exposure. Which means you can widen to a grand old f/8-setting to compensate. I defy you to have a darker ISO-setting than ISO-100.

So, what you get it plenty of source light to properly expose your subject, no matter how they move. The tighter aperture gives you a wide depth of field ... so no body parts are out of focus ... as they move. Personally, the result is a lot more glamour "keepers." If you want to defocus the background, you can select it and do that in post processing with Gaussian Blur. Just always have the subject in clear focus and it will work.

Again, keep the model in focus, unless you are doing art shots, where the emphasis is on the eyes or some other part ... and you want to de-emphasize the rest of the body. MY take in this is DO NOT try to cover cosmetic imperfections with aperture. Use your PS tools for that kind of editing. It is far more precise and a heck of a lot easier to control.

I hope that explains it. That's how I got it from the teaching professionals.

Take it or leave it ... as always, your choice.

a850 w/ SONY 50mm f/1.4
    @ f/10 - 125th sec - ISO-250 - CWA - Manual - Fill Flash Slave w/ HVL-F20AM & Natural daylight - (post) Gaussian blur of background.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 11-12-2010 at 12:31 PM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi