Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 24 of 84 FirstFirst ... 1422232425263474 ... LastLast

Talking Reversing sides

Happily, this solution cost no more $. I was able to reverse the horizontal mounting from the left to the right, quite simply, actually, and that did it

The mecablitz flash head is now completely clear of the gimbal mount and the camera has relatively full tilt, again.

I suppose it is a little awkward, considering the normal left-hand side operation of the mount, but it is flexible enough for the change around and does work from the right-side, too. I can achieve about 210 of y-axis rotation with it now. 0 being completely horizontal ... from -82 on the decline to +118 on the ascent, before the mount meets the mecablitz's hot-shoe adapter. Anything on the hot-shoe precludes any further rotation. Regardless, this +118 is well past vertical (90) and I can always rotate the x-axis 180 around and track back down.

EDIT: I took a few to kind of show the operation, now

Okay, let's swing through vertical ...

Vertical

28 past Vertical

Try that with a ball-head!

I suspect you would like this, Pete. It can really handle all the weight.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 09-03-2010 at 12:23 AM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

It's just the extortionate prices that put me off.
    Name:  Gimbal Heads.jpg
Views: 170
Size:  452.3 KB

I think I'll try the Indian Sidekick and see how it goes.
    I don't have anything really heavy as yet.

Cool This, basically ...

clears the way for acquisition of the 300mm f/2.8 and 500mm f/4 or 600mm f/4 lenses.

Name:  Minolta 600mm f4 DCRP.jpg
Views: 207
Size:  83.9 KB

I said it "clears the way" ... (tap tap tap)

Good luck with that Indian unit. It does not appear to have a throat-lock on it, to keep the world from spinning.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 09-03-2010 at 08:57 AM.
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

I start class today - Digital Darkroom. Good thing is the school upgraded to CS5 so there should be no compatability issues with the photos I work on at home and bring to school.

I'm looking forward to the class and learning advanced blending techniques. Stay tuned.
    Darin Wessel
    α 900
    Zooms: Tamron SP AF70-200mm f2.8 Di LD Macro; Sigma 28-90mm D macro, Konica-Minolta 18-70 f3.5-5.6
    Primes: Minolta 28mm f2.8; Sony 50mm f1.4
    Minolta RC-1000 remote commander

Film:
    Calumet Cambo CC400 4x5 View Camera
    YashikaMat 6x6 TLR (other accessories)
    Minolta Maxxum 7000 w/ Minolta 35-80mm f/4-5.6 & Minolta 2800 flash
    Minolta Maxxum 5000i & Vivitar 728 AFM flash
    What's next???

Thumbs up Excellent effort

"Digital Darkroom", here, involved the panorama shots, collage images, face symmetry and a few other novel images. Personally, I thought there would be more to it. I suppose things evolve over time and as the software changes. Not every curriculum is the same, so trying to find parallels and standards is still a little rough.

I have found that self-exploration offers a whole lot more, in the BIG picture. Photography is still at the whim of the photographer. I suppose that is part of the attraction. Just getting out there and getting the shot. Learning the skills to cultivate it ... that is where the formal training seems to be the most advantageous. Having someone knowledgeable to assist in "developing" those skills is a boon.

Good Luck, Darin.

flickr & Sdi

Quote Originally Posted by DonSchap View Post
    "Digital Darkroom", here, involved the panorama shots, collage images, face symmetry and a few other novel images. Personally, I thought there would be more to it. I suppose things evolve over time and as the software changes. Not every curriculum is the same, so trying to find parallels and standards is still a little rough.

I have found that self-exploration offers a whole lot more, in the BIG picture. ....
    Don and everyone,

The digital darkroom class I'm taking this semester has a series of weekly assignments pretty much dictated by the instructor along with a midterm portfolio and final portfolio of our choosing that utilizes the techniques learned in the class. This weeks assignments involved resolution (knowing its limitations and optimizing for output to printer, web, etc), perspective control using the crop tool, adding text, touch-up tools, and preliminary image blending within the same image and between two images. Pretty basic and mostly stuff I already knew. But, I did not know you could use the Clone Stamp tool to select from one image and clone onto a second image. Here's the example I did:
    Name:  Blending-Lesson1.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  233.4 KB

The rest of the weekly assignments go through each of the tools in PS and include beauty touch-up, blending, merging, probably panorama, graphics, etc. Stay tuned.
    Darin Wessel
    α 900
    Zooms: Tamron SP AF70-200mm f2.8 Di LD Macro; Sigma 28-90mm D macro, Konica-Minolta 18-70 f3.5-5.6

Film:
    What's next???

Blending images

Part of today's class and workflow - blending two images. The background photo is one I took this past 4th of July. The fighter is from a web based stock photo agency. The result.
    Name:  3_WesselDarin4.jpg
Views: 164
Size:  113.8 KB
    Darin Wessel
    α 900

Film:
    What's next???

Thumbs up Now, you're having fun!

I am not certain what exactly gave it away, but I could tell you were not there to photograph this out-of-this-world event, Darin. I mean, who knew?

These are exciting variations in our chosen hobby and definitely worthy of investigation and manipulation. Good job.

Add more: perhaps an over-the-shoulder, out of focus X-wing tip to give it perspective, point of view and depth.

flickr & Sdi

How to you size the clone from one image to the next?? I tried to select the image I wanted to clone and transform it to a smaller size but that didn't work. Something else to try and put to use.

Thanks

Frank
    Sony A77
    Sony A580
    Sony A 100
    Maxxum 400si.
    Sony 18-70 Kit Lens
    Minolta AF 35-70
    Minolta AF 50 f/1.7
    Tamron 70-300 f/4-5.6 Di LD
    Tamron 60mm Macro
    Tamron 17-50 f/2.8
    Tamron 2x Converter
    Sony HVL-F42AM
    Quantaray 70-300 4.5-5.6 Macro
    Slingshot 200 Bag

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22083244@N06/

http://s305.photobucket.com/albums/nn219/sparkie1263/

Frank,

In your destination image, you want to create a new blank layer. Go to your source image and with the clone stamp tool, select a portion of the image you want to clone. (Note, if your source image is the same size or nearly the same size as your destination image, you might want to use the image resize function in PS to downsize it somewhat at first, but larger than what you think you will ultimately need.) Return to your destination image, make sure your new blank layer is selected and start cloning. You don't need to be exact because you can clean up the edges by erasing and/or masking on the clone layer.

Once you get your cloned image cleaned up, you can then use the transform tools to downsize the cloned image to the size you want. You can reposition using the move tool as well.
    Darin Wessel
    α 900

Film:
    What's next???