Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 15 of 84 FirstFirst ... 513141516172565 ... LastLast

Red face A preliminary attempt ...

Quote Originally Posted by DonSchap View Post
    I ordered up the George Pal-version of the war machine.
    The model arrived, tonight, and I immediately fired off a couple of images out of the α700 to play with with Photoshop. I have to be careful with how I light it because the entire surface of the craft is a reflective deep titanium color. Any dark areas in the light tent are picked up and reflected in it. Yeah, that means the lens poking through the side of tent.

Anyway, here is a rough attempt at some PS work.

Name:  Martian-WM-A.jpg
Views: 169
Size:  154.7 KB

Name:  _DSC1202-red-green.jpg
Views: 168
Size:  375.6 KB

Name:  _DSC1224-at-lowry-afb.jpg
Views: 175
Size:  426.2 KB

And here is the preliminary attempt at the "lyrical" poster concept:

Name:  Project-4-Preliminary-Poster.jpg
Views: 173
Size:  467.5 KB

The poster, above, is an active YouTUBE link to the theatrical performance of the song.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 03-12-2010 at 04:04 PM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Smile The "School" gets cooked!

Okay ... how about this idea? The Art School gets itself in the Martian's sights. And slow and surely, they moved their way against us.

Name:  Ai-building-under-attack-light-beams.jpg
Views: 147
Size:  516.2 KB

Recognize that bony paw? Yep, "Lava for Andrew" (<- click here) ... got some more mileage out of it.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 03-18-2010 at 12:46 AM.
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Cool The eyes have it!

Working up another class, GD131, Digital Imaging (Illustrator), one of the things they want is an advertisement piece for branding an item (product). I thought perhaps a "contact" or "liquid tears" formula product might be cool, since we are "all eyes" in our work.

I believe I may use this Photoshop image ...

Name:  Right-Eye-variant-4.jpg
Views: 139
Size:  546.1 KB
    partial EXIF: SONY α850 w/ TAMRON SP AF 90mm f/2.8 Di MACRO lens w/ ring light

as my background support for a billboard (something eye-catching, so to speak) and then digitally super-impose the little dropper bottle next to it with all the necessary ad stuff.

Here's lookin' at you, pal!
    Last edited by DonSchap; 03-15-2010 at 04:03 AM.

flickr & Sdi

Red face Composition redoi to satisfy the faculty critics ...

Well, like anything I've done at this school, someone always has some kind of improvement ... and sometimes I can see the critique and other times ... well, not so much. And sometimes, its plain impossible to get people to do what you may need for the project. Such is the case, here. I need some "fleeing masses" ... to properly complete the composition and I'm just not going to get that from my stock images. Not too many times where I have been:

1. on location where everyone's lives were threatened (perhaps the airshow ... but, then again, none of the ones I have attended)
    2. they were running my way with that look of panic
    3. ... and had the camera along with me, at such an event, ready to rock!

I figure they cannot take too much off for the friggin' impossible.

EDIT: I had this rather bizarre-looking creature in my son's old toy pile ... looked threatening enough, so here's the crowd ... of hungry "martians"!

Version deuce of "Hell on Earth" Ulla!

Name:  Project-4-redo-FINAL-3_HDR2.jpg
Views: 108
Size:  474.0 KB
    Last edited by DonSchap; 03-18-2010 at 10:20 PM.

flickr & Sdi

Nothing as fancy as Don's edja-macation

The first assignment for my digital camera class is in. Nothing as fancy as Don's projects.

It was a studio shoot with blue backdrop shot digitally and with B&W film. First aspect is a comparison of digital to film which required converting the color digital image into a B&W. Second aspect was a drop-out of the blue screen and merge of the studio shot into another background photo.
    The original studio shot.
    Name:  Studio-Shoot-Orig.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  26.8 KB

The B&W conversion.
    Name:  Portrait-DLW-B&W-Web.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  28.7 KB

The drop-out and new background.
    Name:  Drop-Out-01W.jpg
Views: 96
Size:  26.5 KB
    Darin Wessel
    α 900
    Zooms: Tamron SP AF70-200mm f2.8 Di LD Macro; Sigma 28-90mm D macro, Konica-Minolta 18-70 f3.5-5.6
    Primes: Minolta 28mm f2.8; Sony 50mm f1.4
    Minolta RC-1000 remote commander

Film:
    Calumet Cambo CC400 4x5 View Camera
    YashikaMat 6x6 TLR (other accessories)
    Minolta Maxxum 7000 w/ Minolta 35-80mm f/4-5.6 & Minolta 2800 flash
    Minolta Maxxum 5000i & Vivitar 728 AFM flash
    What's next???

All at sea I guess.
    So is this a course in post processing and did you actually shoot film as well?

Quote Originally Posted by Peekayoh View Post
    All at sea I guess.
    So is this a course in post processing and did you actually shoot film as well?
    Aaarrrrrggggg. Avast, the class is Introduction to Digital Photography. Since the course prerequisite is B&W film photography (or a portfolio assessment), almost everyone in the class has B&W film under their belt. So, the goal of the initial assignment was to get a comparison of the two media, the positives and negatives of processing analog vs digital, etc.

The class, of course, includes a certain degree of post-processing in Photoshop.

The assignment was shot in film as well.
    Last edited by DWessel; 03-20-2010 at 08:58 PM. Reason: missing information
    Darin Wessel
    α 900
    Zooms: Tamron SP AF70-200mm f2.8 Di LD Macro; Sigma 28-90mm D macro, Konica-Minolta 18-70 f3.5-5.6

Film:
    What's next???

Question Edja-ma-cated?

I want you guys to know that the earlier Photoshop CS4 work was on the extreme, of course. Taking routine techniques to a much higher degree than just correcting images and formulating solutions for composing entirely new compositions from images. The pressure to do this correctly is amazing, especially light angles and other effects to create the all encompassing ... "believability."

Was I successful? No way! Some of this is beyond my current understanding of the tools. It would take years to refine some of these techniques through trial and error. I have watched "masters" try to replicate their own work and technique, only to fail. Even when educated, the balance is that hard.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 03-20-2010 at 11:11 PM.

flickr & Sdi

Quote Originally Posted by DonSchap View Post
    I want you guys to know that the earlier Photoshop CS4 work was on the extreme, of course. Taking routine techniques to a much higher degree than just correcting images and formulating solutions for composing entirely new compositions from images. The pressure to do this correctly is amazing, especially light angles and other effects to create the all encompassing ... "believability."

Was I successful? No way! Some of this is beyond my current understanding of the tools. It would take years to refine some of these techniques through trial and error. I have watched "masters" try to replicate their own work and technique, only to fail. Even when educated, the balance is that hard.
    Or, as my teacher said yesterday, there are many professional photographers who turn their digital editing over to professional editors with 10-15+ years of experience in just digital editing. Just like there used to be numerous professional photo retouchers who photographers would use to work with their images and analog film techniques to create similar effects.
    Darin Wessel
    α 900

Film:
    What's next???

Lightbulb Other educational pursuits ...

One of the other classes I was involved in, this quarter, was "Typography", the study and use of type and its historical development.

The final project is how type is used in photography. I decided to develop my own type face by constructing it from real-time parts I had lying around. such as "bowie-knife" font:

Name:  Knife-font.jpg
Views: 75
Size:  285.2 KB

The rather brutal aspect of using this font on a "routine" basis is that misspelling something could be a real chore to correct. Someone could get hurt!

EDIT: This font idea turned out to be a big hit with the class ... and I got an "A" on the FINAL! Hah!
    Last edited by DonSchap; 03-22-2010 at 07:46 PM.

flickr & Sdi