Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 14 of 84 FirstFirst ... 412131415162464 ... LastLast

Cool The Steel Dolphin

They really do little with photography ... it's almost all based on illustration techniques ... and while that can be fun ... it is not what I am after. There are only three weeks left to the class, anyway. One final project. Now, get this ... a printed and mounted 24 x 36-inch image. Estimated cost ... $90! Ideas are to be submitted by Tuesday, 3/9.

Unfortunately, It cannot be done on my EPSON 3800, as 17-inches is as wide as it goes. I need to find a EPSON 7880 to make it happen, but I am not buying one of those. $3995 MSRP for the Colorburst edition! A kick-rear printer, but seriously out of my price range.

I could pick up a 7600 for a reasonable price, but while the 3800 easily takes a table top, that bad boy takes up some serious room. The ink cartridges are $70 each and it takes seven.

Oh, what fun

If you guys really want to see an ink-eater ... the EPSON 11880 can handle 64" wide paper.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 03-05-2010 at 08:04 PM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

I would think that as much as you're spending for tuition at the school, that they would have printers available to produce the sizes that the professors are asking for.

And on another education note, I just started my 16 week digital photography class at the local Junior College. All we need to supply is the paper, which is not bad. Next semester will either be ditigal darkroom or experimental photography. Haven't quite decided yet.
    Darin Wessel
    α 900
    Zooms: Tamron SP AF70-200mm f2.8 Di LD Macro; Sigma 28-90mm D macro, Konica-Minolta 18-70 f3.5-5.6
    Primes: Minolta 28mm f2.8; Sony 50mm f1.4
    Minolta RC-1000 remote commander

Film:
    Calumet Cambo CC400 4x5 View Camera
    YashikaMat 6x6 TLR (other accessories)
    Minolta Maxxum 7000 w/ Minolta 35-80mm f/4-5.6 & Minolta 2800 flash
    Minolta Maxxum 5000i & Vivitar 728 AFM flash
    What's next???

$90. I'd print it in two halves.

Lightbulb Research Project

Quote Originally Posted by Peekayoh View Post
    $90. I'd print it in two halves.
    Yeah, Peter, splitting it in half is really going satisfy the requirements.

It will be a challenge, but right now I am more concerned the "WHAT" I am going to print. I want to put together a really neat looking poster ... but, again, it has to be based on "original art." Currently, I am considering something along the lines of the War of the Worlds.

Name:  thunderchild.gif
Views: 552
Size:  32.3 KB

Funny thing is, off in your neck of this wide world is a gentleman by the name of Nigel Humphreys, creative director of the Sculptoria Studio and the controller of the only possible model version of the martian's War Machine I might be able to acquire to do this. It looks just like this ...

Name:  SCULPTORIASTUDIO.jpg
Views: 467
Size:  65.7 KB

George Pal's-version of the war machine is available all over the place,

Name:  pal-wotw-machine.jpg
Views: 292
Size:  22.5 KB

but the "Victorian" version is far more fascinating, in my opinion.

Anyway, here is the info for this fellow:

Sculptoria Studio
    Bold Street,
    BOLTON,
    BL1 1LS

Tel : 01204525727

I sure can make it hard on myself, but if you could, Peter ... and it is not too much of a project ... could you find out if this model is ready to go public? It has been in production for over three years!

Despite my pursuit of creativity, I still need a model to photograph, otherwise I am a Graphic Designer ... and that is a little too direct. I believe that marrying the two, photography and GD, is really a lot more fun.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 03-07-2010 at 07:16 PM.
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Question Time is nearly up ... will this work?

I did take one more crack at my last project, "Out of Bounds", by tying it back to ... reality? and attempting to capture that "out of bounds" feeling, where reality and imagery come together, through the magic of Photoshop.

"Here! Recycle THIS!"

Name:  GD251-Project-3-THIRD-Image-out-of-TV.jpg
Views: 305
Size:  632.8 KB

Okay, okay ... I admit, I am kind of new at doing this.

Comments?
    Last edited by DonSchap; 03-07-2010 at 06:57 PM.

flickr & Sdi

Don, I wouldn't hold your breath on that model. The sponsor pulled out so the thing is on the back burner until finance is sorted out.

Red face A deadline is a deadline

Thanks, Peter ... I kind of figured there were major issues with it, considering the sudden disappearance of promotional support. I have made some alternative plans, with this possibility in mind, but I had hoped something might have changed. The "final project" has to be completed by the end of the month.

I have written Creative Director Humphreys an email, to see where he might be on this idea. All I really need is some studio time with the model to capture certain angles for the imaging. Photoshop would do the rest.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 03-08-2010 at 01:38 PM.

flickr & Sdi

Back to the drawing board!

Unhappy Anticipation ... is keeping me waiting

Nah ... I kind of anticipated the negative results ... and, last night, I ordered up the George Pal-version of the machine. I will try and carve out some ideas, today, to present as preliminary sketches in class, on Tuesday. I have this design image, in my mind, of a fleeing human being "zotzed" by the martian heat ray, as the craft and others sweep along the horizon. Like I mentioned earlier, I would have rather had a few of the "towering tripods" in the background, instead of a "hovercraft", as it would provided some interesting angles to the image. Uuuu-lah!

Name:  Variation-of-dawn.jpg
Views: 264
Size:  31.2 KB

If I need a real horrible threat of a tripod, I suspect I can use my own camera tripod, as it has been rejected & banned by some of the finer establishments in town! Lord knows that I have been sizzled pretty good by the prices of the "optical weapons" that sit atop it.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 03-08-2010 at 10:55 AM.

flickr & Sdi

Cool Moving on ... despite some rather sad personal issues

I did stumble across a new source for the Jeff Wayne-version of the Martian "fighting machine" (similar to the one above) and a Martian "handling machine", which is more spider-like, lower to the ground and used for the collection of humans. I doubt these models will arrive in time for my current project, but I am hoping that I might be able to engage a "redo" shoot and modify the poster accordingly, after I submit the final project on time. It's a tough call, right now.

Anyway, after initial discussion, it looks like "War of the Worlds" will be my final GD251 project.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 03-10-2010 at 10:13 PM.

flickr & Sdi