Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 13 of 84 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363 ... LastLast

Red face Beauty is in the eye of ... whomever! I guess

You know, even I felt the quadrants were a little simple, but I asked one of the other students, at Oakton ... what they thought, proposing the shattered crystal idea, and she insisted the quad-idea was far more "eye-catching" ... kind of like the "Andy Warhol" stuff, back in the seventies.

Name:  framed-warhol-posters.jpg
Views: 199
Size:  175.9 KB

Upon second glance ... what the heck? Why not? If it was good enough for the public, back then ... Viva Retro!

Then again, when you have reached what you thought was the end of the road ... and it says, "STOP HERE" ... and you don't.

PIXEL THIS!

Name:  GD251-Project-3-proto-Unlucky-13.jpg
Views: 192
Size:  572.3 KB
    Last edited by DonSchap; 02-19-2010 at 02:20 PM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Red face A tweak or ... more? Oops!

So ... taking this is a more progressive looking direction.

Planet Chicago undergoes some very dynamic changes as Yellowstone's Caldera finally "wakes up" from its 600,000 year sleep.

"Good Morning, Chicago!"

Name:  GD251-Project-3-proto-14-envisioned.jpg
Views: 189
Size:  675.9 KB
    Last edited by DonSchap; 02-24-2010 at 10:54 AM.
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Thumbs down Pop goes the planet!

Here is the redeveloped first image of my trilogy sequence, "Out of Bounds" Planet Chicago, quietly going about its routine of building and working.

Name:  GD251-Project-3-1st-image-C.jpg
Views: 145
Size:  498.9 KB

and ... this may be a reach ... for the second image ... some added pressure of the day!

Name:  GD251-Project-3-proto-15.jpg
Views: 161
Size:  892.4 KB

Edit: The second image has been redeveloped and this one is no longer being used for Project 3

I know, I know ... I have to get a grip, because I am feeling some overwhelming pressure to get this school project done.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 03-03-2010 at 02:52 PM.

flickr & Sdi

Cool The final sequence image

Here is the last (draft) image of the trilogy composition, "Out of Bounds" ... and while it may be a long way off from what you can do with Photoshop, it does complete the assignment as specified.

Name:  GD251-Project-3-proto-15-deflate-variant-sharpened.jpg
Views: 135
Size:  655.6 KB

Edit: This image has been redeveloped, this one is no longer being used for Project 3

In a way, in light of the sudden rash of earthquake activity, it does feel a bit ... strange to compose this sequence.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 03-03-2010 at 02:48 PM.

flickr & Sdi

don, dont you think it wouldve made more sense for the course to start off with the photography bits first and then the photoshop bits ?
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

impressive stuff Don ! Well Done !
    Sony α700
    Sony DT 18-250mm F/3.5-6.3
    Sony 100mm F/2.8 Macro

Red face It is, now, "Occasional Photography" ... as needed

Quote Originally Posted by Rooz View Post
    don, dont you think it wouldve made more sense for the course to start off with the photography bits first and then the photoshop bits ?
    "Mate!" - I did the "required" photography elements, up to this point, in the prior three years @ the local college using the Canon 20D and the SONY a100 & a700. There, they taught us the "basic" PS CS2 stuff and the assignments were completed. While, perhaps, not nearly as in-depth as some of the students that spent the big bucks and went to this "Art" school from the "get go", there are several more shooting classes coming up. My 'basic' stuff is tagged as "completed." Now, the classes are Illustrator CS4 and Photoshop's CS4 advanced image manipulation (not basic PS), involving masks, layers, channels, paths, texturing through blending ... mostly just post processing and background material, with some occasional subject shooting, as required.

Oh sure, I could do simpler imaging, like the inexperienced and less imaginative (at this point) teen/twenty-year-olds mostly are, but I like to inspire loftier thought lines. I am, by no means, saying my stuff is better or more inspired, just different. I know that I am not paging though texts or scanning other people's work for inspiration. This is all coming out of the ol' noggin', for what it is worth, employing some of the PS techniques I am learning and starting to employ. I kind of enjoy the jaw-dropping looks I get, when I open the portfolio and draw out the prints. One thing is for sure, it is time consuming as some of the PS techniques are quite involved. I am still struggling with getting that "liquid text"-look to come out right.

On of the novel aspects of this is that I can use and glean through material I had generated years earlier, as the shots have to be generated from your own work ... and thanks to Frank and his pointing out the polar filtration process, a year or so ago, I was able to incorporate the idea right into this project, creating a truly different look for project submission.

In a way, I can liken this post processing awareness to kind of what happened when HDR first hit the streets and people pushed the sliders too far. Yes, they had exceeded the intent, but had, by some people's evaluation, created a new category of photo art.

One of the future classes is "Shooting Animules in the Australian Outback", considered a field class. Personally, I consider it more of a desert class. I know "fields": tall grasses, flowers and occasional tree lines, all waving in the summer wind ... and "the Outback" is no field, my friend. Okay, just kidding about the class (obviously) but, I do have:

"Location Photography" – This course explores the special needs of location photography, including both the technical and logistical aspects of location work. Students are challenged with a variety of assignments related to fashion, portraiture, product, stock, and architectural photography

Which is coming up and that promises to be very challenging, this year, in light of the exceptionally cooler weather we have been encountering in the United States. As more of a "real time" class ... I suspect I will be spending a lot more time running around getting my more up-to-date shots.

The last project for the Advanced Image Manipulation class has been relayed to me as "do something that you have always wanted to do with Photoshop, with a lyrical interpretation." The other three projects were worth 100 pts a pop, but it is 200 pts for this last one. Hell, it is only a grade, right?
    Last edited by DonSchap; 03-03-2010 at 01:02 PM.

flickr & Sdi

Red face Back to the wood shed ...

Well, as usual ... nothing is ever "good enough", so I scrapped my last two images and redid them with another technique to try...

Here are the redos:

Image 2

"For all the technology and advancement ..."

Name:  GD251-Project-3-Wednesday-Image-2.jpg
Views: 110
Size:  643.9 KB

& Image 3

"... it simply couldn't save us."

Name:  GD251-Project-3-Wednesday-Image-3.jpg
Views: 110
Size:  588.7 KB

"Savage!"
    I say, "Just savage!" "What are the 'guts' of your planet doing, today?"

Anyway ... you guys see any improvement worth noting? Been kind of quite.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 03-03-2010 at 02:47 PM.

flickr & Sdi

Lightbulb Image 1 developed & a PNG file Composite test

My first image was just a little too plain and as I sat in class, tonight, I re-examined to scope of the image. I then gave it the "evil eye" ... and Voila!

Name:  GD251-Project-3--FIRST-image-mod-3.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  506.8 KB

Now, it has something that includes a reason to support the "hand effect"

I then made a composite of the trio ...

Name:  Compsite-of-trilogy-DCRP.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  376.6 KB

I tell ya, this stuff is inspiring ... despite some of the "novice efforts" I've been exposed to. It is amazing how much useful information and technique we have shared with one another.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 03-05-2010 at 01:00 AM.

flickr & Sdi

Quote Originally Posted by DonSchap View Post
    Anyway ... you guys see any improvement worth noting? Been kind of quite.
    try posting them here. http://www.steeldolphin-forums.com/

maybe you;ll get more feedback, (and probably much better quality), cos its more relevant to that forum.
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr