Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 12 of 84 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262 ... LastLast

Wink Recycle ... when it comes to flash time ... shorter is better

Tonight, I was invited to watch a young photographer and her Nikon D3 go to work. She set up her lighting using four electronic flashes (2x SB-600 & 2x SB-900) and it was truly enlightening to see that she went through just about the same difficulty I do with the SONY system.

Just about forty minutes worth of setup and then another half-hour worth of shooting gymnastics

Again, the thing that just sticks in my craw is "battery management" for these damn flashes. It would be so much easier if the manufacturers would allow a direct AC/DC connection to these "portable" flashes, instead of relying on the often unreliable battery set (of 4) per flash.

My rule of thumb is eight (8) batteries for each flash, but to each their own. That's 32 batteries on the recharge cycle. Have fun with that. Personally, I say "eliminate the damn things" if you are indoors and use light-cabled AC adapters instead. You would get duration, high-reliability and superior recycle. How could you argue with that kind of result?

Anyway, it was comforting to see that some things don't change across the brands. After all this time, they all still stink!
    Last edited by DonSchap; 02-15-2010 at 10:16 PM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Quote Originally Posted by DonSchap View Post
    This is my basis for the next project, which is termed: "OUT OF BOUNDS"

I need to develop a flow, but I believe this is the end target image, comprised of two 360 panorama images

Then, I had this idea to, quite literally, eliminate "negative space" ...

In light of the recent 4.3 Earthquake we had in nearby Sycamore, IL ... I feel the above image has ... sorry, experienced IMPACT!

How's that for a "picture within a picture ... within a picture ... etc", Jason?

Anyway, suggestions?
    Don,

That's quite a difference in feeling between the images. I like elements of both. The top image to me sends more of a message of no matter how big we might think things are, they are often quite small from a different perspective. The bottom image has more of an abstract artistic quality.

And, I hate to burst your bubble, but most Californians don't even pause for a 4.3 earthquake. Indeed, if they strike at night, I don't even wake up.
    Darin Wessel
    α 900
    Zooms: Tamron SP AF70-200mm f2.8 Di LD Macro; Sigma 28-90mm D macro, Konica-Minolta 18-70 f3.5-5.6
    Primes: Minolta 28mm f2.8; Sony 50mm f1.4
    Minolta RC-1000 remote commander

Film:
    Calumet Cambo CC400 4x5 View Camera
    YashikaMat 6x6 TLR (other accessories)
    Minolta Maxxum 7000 w/ Minolta 35-80mm f/4-5.6 & Minolta 2800 flash
    Minolta Maxxum 5000i & Vivitar 728 AFM flash
    What's next???

Unhappy Whammer with the hammer!

I happened to be doing my homework, up on the second floor, when that quake hit at 4am. I heard a lot of noise, out in the backyard, and did not realize it was an "earthquake." I just thought it was someone prowling around, tripping over all the winter fodder in the yard. Problem was, none of the security lights or cameras saw anything, basically, because there was nothing to see.

I mean, let's be honest ... who would expect anything like an earthquake, here in Chicago? We are not located on the "Ring of Fire", but more like the "Ring of Corn & Soybeans." We'd probably be more likely to fall prey to a locust infestation or an asteroid strike!

Name:  ast strk.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  333.4 KB

Now, there goes the neighborhood!

BTW: Thank you for your comments on my most recent project entry. No one can nail me for being too predictable, that's for sure, except when it comes to in-the-body image stability.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 02-16-2010 at 10:45 AM.
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

I think that photo is bogus. Gravitational forces would have pulled the asteroid apart before it struck.

I think that photo is bogus, because we're still here .
    Darin Wessel
    α 900
    Zooms: Tamron SP AF70-200mm f2.8 Di LD Macro; Sigma 28-90mm D macro, Konica-Minolta 18-70 f3.5-5.6

Film:
    What's next???

Lightbulb Expanding on the "Out of Bounds" theme ...

Quote Originally Posted by Peekayoh View Post
    I think that photo is bogus. Gravitational forces would have pulled the asteroid apart before it struck.
    Hey, that was the small piece ... you have seen the "mother" it came from!

Concerning "Project 3"

The instructor reviewed my project idea and recommended some alterations. I am a little dubious ... but, I cleaned it up and put forth a new twist, duplicating the southside buildings to offer a more "balanced" central image.

Name:  GD251-Project-3-proto-3.jpg
Views: 82
Size:  294.8 KB

I still need to look at some "outside the image" ideas. He didn't buy into the collar panoramas, looking for a more "geometric" combination of three images.

Hey, here's a thought ...

Frank, what are the chances of getting a twelve-shot, 28mm panorama from the top of the Empire State Building? It has to be similar!

And if Darin could get a twelve-shot LA ... from one of the towers ... DCRP Coast to Coast coverage! Now, that would be a cool project. Of course, that's given a somewhat clear day to shoot on. I need it done in three days!
    Last edited by DonSchap; 02-16-2010 at 08:59 PM.

flickr & Sdi

Don,

Love the new version of the image.

A panorama like that in LA would be tough. Don't know of any of the tall buildings here that have an observation deck like that of the Sears Tower or Empire State Building. And, unfortunately all of the highrise buildings have much tighter security.
    Darin Wessel
    α 900

Film:
    What's next???

Question Why not SF?

Yeah, in this day and age, I probably would have better luck with trying an aerial contract shot, Darin. It was just a thought.

I wonder if Jeff Keller has a "pano" from the top of the Coit Tower? That would solve it, too. "City by the Bay", with some rather obvious landmarks ... Alcatraz Island, Golden Gate Bridge, TransAmerica Building and the Bay Bridge.

EDIT: Okay ... here it is ...

Planet SF!

Name:  360-degree-SF-background-gradiant.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  342.4 KB

Okay, got Manhattan ... from the Empire State Building. My worlds are ... complete?

Name:  NYC-360-sphere-backgrd.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  646.2 KB

And then, using the "US Night" shot as a stellar back drop ...

Name:  Worlds-apart.jpg
Views: 77
Size:  336.3 KB

I guess I am just too tired ... weird stuff ... if the "green" folks have their way, more than likely only "Do as I say, not as I do" Al Gore's house will be observable from Space. The rest of us will be shaking chemical lights.

Name:  chemicallightsticks.gif
Views: 66
Size:  23.5 KB
    Last edited by DonSchap; 02-17-2010 at 10:33 PM.

flickr & Sdi

Question What do you think ?

Okay ... giving the "Out of Bounds" theme ... current development of it has brought me to this:

Name:  GD251-Project-3-proto-12.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  650.7 KB

Comments?
    Last edited by DonSchap; 02-19-2010 at 11:54 AM.

flickr & Sdi

Sucks to be on Planet Chicago, looks like it is soon to be no more.

As far as the image goes, I like the concept. However, I'm going back and forth as to whether I like the quadrants of color shade. Wonder how it would look with some more shades added in ... as if Planet Chicago were a crystal with the explosive light passing through it and being divided. Just a thouhgt.
    Darin Wessel
    α 900

Film:
    What's next???