Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 11 of 84 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast

Red face Ongoing work ...

Adjusting the poster a bit more ... here's the final version:

Name:  L4A-Breakaway-Jacket-Poster-w-bone-letters.jpg
Views: 227
Size:  655.1 KB
    (prototype poster for educational use only)

I modified the letters of the "Album Title" to offer some morphing into bone, akin to the creature's hands.

I am finding that these things get really intense with memory. The thing is almost 300MB
    Last edited by DonSchap; 02-10-2010 at 01:15 AM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Cool The personal "Logo" project

One of the other things this quarter is bringing is using Adobe Illustrator to create a scalable "logo" for yourself ... or your business.

The Illustrator interface is definitely a challenge, once you are conditioned to using Photoshop. "You must unlearn what you have learned ..."

So, here is my first effort at using a software I have never really taken a look at until a couple weeks ago:

Name:  SDI-aperture-w-gradient-SONY-orange-sdi.jpg
Views: 296
Size:  265.1 KB

I took my main idea from the MF 135mm f/2.8 [f/4.5] STF lens, since it is so unique looking once the twin apertures are extended (this does not really happen when you use it, though. You only get one or the other, not BOTH).

I also adopted the SONY orange for the initials. What the heck, it is school after all.

Here's the 100x100 size:

Name:  SDI-aperture-w-gradient-SONY-orange-sdi-mini.jpg
Views: 231
Size:  16.3 KB and the B/W version: Name:  SDI-aperture-w-gradient-SONY-white-sdi.jpg
Views: 234
Size:  12.1 KB

How does that work for ya?
    Last edited by DonSchap; 02-06-2010 at 03:18 AM.
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Logos

I like it Don. I think the logo with the touch of orange catches the eye's attention more than the B&W. And, that comes from someone who's not a real big fan of orange.
    Darin Wessel
    α 900
    Zooms: Tamron SP AF70-200mm f2.8 Di LD Macro; Sigma 28-90mm D macro, Konica-Minolta 18-70 f3.5-5.6
    Primes: Minolta 28mm f2.8; Sony 50mm f1.4
    Minolta RC-1000 remote commander

Film:
    Calumet Cambo CC400 4x5 View Camera
    YashikaMat 6x6 TLR (other accessories)
    Minolta Maxxum 7000 w/ Minolta 35-80mm f/4-5.6 & Minolta 2800 flash
    Minolta Maxxum 5000i & Vivitar 728 AFM flash
    What's next???

Red face More self-serving ... help yourself

Well, after further review at Ai, tonight, it was suggested that I "de-complicate" the design, making it more "logo-ish" and less of an illustration.

So, here is the more "uplifting" result:

Name:  SDI-aperture-final.jpg
Views: 225
Size:  178.8 KB

and the subsequent "mini-me":

Name:  SDI-aperture-final-mini.jpg
Views: 208
Size:  15.1 KB

Darn thing looks like it is in one hell of hurry to get somewhere, doesn't it? (I made the edit to the above poster)
    Last edited by DonSchap; 02-09-2010 at 11:49 PM.

flickr & Sdi

I saw these on flickr, and meant to comment. The band poster is quite nice. I wouldn't want to go to the concert with that poster, but it's cool work.

The memory thing. Geez. I used to work in the Kinko's that serves NC State, which despite being a tech-heavy school, has one of the most respected design schools. So I dealt with a lot of this kind of stuff. Photos in photoshop can be tough, but some of these design documents turn into absolute monsters, ones that would make the guy in your poster run for cover. Every mouse click would take 10 minutes to render. Of course we were working with a whopping 512mb of memory in many of those cases.

I like the logo. I love what is possible in Illustrator once you start getting a handle on it. Wonderful software, a little newer and less complicated/feature bloated than PS. I'm trying to imagine it in logo places and wonder if the d would be a bit overwhelming, but its hard to tell. Nice, simple design though, and would probably even work pretty well in monochrome.
    Jason Hamilton
    Selective Frame

EOS 5D - Canon EF 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF 35 f/2, EF 50mm f/1.8 Mk II, EF 70-210 f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF 85mm f/1.8 USM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro, Helios 44-2 58mm f/2 (with EOS adapter), 430EX, Canon S90
    Nikon FE - Nikkor 35mm f/2 AI'd, Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 AI, Nikkor 105mm f/2.5 AI, F to EF adapter, 2xVivitar 285, other lighting stuff
    Mamiya C220 - 80mm f/2.8

Gear List flickr

Thumbs up Feedbark

Thanks for the feedback, Jason. One of the real harsh aspects that I have to deal with, continually, is not having solid model support. Plus the fact that darn mask is an absolute monster to breathe in (I may have to build a fan into it). The unfortunate model is really taxed with the time available to withstand the oppressive environment and your lighting better be close, once you don the mask. Sweat city!

I suppose if I went outside ... the cold would make for a much better environment for the model. I'd be frozen, though. I have to remember,though, talent comes and goes ... it is the artist that remains. Yes, that's a good thing.

Perhaps, I should have put a guitar in the creature's hands ... with lava spewing from it. Hey, now that's an idea for the "next" BAND POSTER! (Slapping head. As if ... )

I have to say, when the EPSON 3800 spit out the 11x17, it did turn out looking pretty nice. Once your color management has the computer screen matching the printer ... man, that is so nice and saves you a grunch of moolah in media costs. I really wanted that "eye-catching" element to it and I think I achieved that. The ink cost alone was still substantial, but one-pass got 'er done!

The logo was an inspiration from an image I had of the SONY 135mm f2.8 STF lens. I was looking to incorporate the dual aperture aspect and still keep it looking ... well, simpler. With some suggestions I received from other students and staff, the final result is what "stuck to the wall", so to speak. Time will tell if we have a winner.

I had to "re-learn" the Adobe interface to use Illustrator. Even though some of the drawing icons look similar ... their performance in the program is not. I spent several days trying to get use to it and master the tools. I fully appreciate that time on the program is crucial to you ability to use it.

What I truly find amazing is the amount of time you wind up throwing at these class projects and it hearkens back to trying to please the bride, with wedding shots. Tweak, tweak, tweak ... trying to use software that will assist you to do this quickly. Yes, there were "simpler days" when using film, in this regard. You only had the magic of optical filters, dodging and burning techniques, and time in the dark room. The stress and time consuming nature of it all tended to make "reality" your guide for each effort. Today, though, with the convenience of the digital darkroom ... you could lose 6-8 hours, easily, as you sit comfortably parked before the glowing screen.

Reality? What's that? More like, virtual reality.

Anyway ... thanks for the input.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 02-10-2010 at 10:12 AM.

flickr & Sdi

Talking Do ya, do ya want my love, woman?

Well, tonight was the presentation of the "band branding" ideas ... and we did it in a major fashion. The presentation had issues and we subsequently got burned because of other factors, but the originality was unquestionable ...

Name:  DSC04422-total-flames-w-eyes-&-logo.jpg
Views: 198
Size:  433.1 KB

Kudos to the young lady who spent the better part of 40 minutes in that outfit, just this side of Hell. Whew!
    Last edited by DonSchap; 02-12-2010 at 02:20 PM.

flickr & Sdi

Project 3 - "Breaking out of the box"

In the tradition of scholastic extremes, the next project entails new art manipulation that purposely breaks the traditional bounds and has three images interlacing with one another, in a kind of storied progression.

The photography on this is one thing (original art - all of it), the concept is totally another.

Design and functionality are the primary criteria for the grade. Conception and execution are key. In a way, it is a simple outreach for what the software (Photoshop, et al) can do.

While I am brainstorming this ... if anyone else has an approach to something along this line, I am all ears. Time is of the essence.

Thanks

flickr & Sdi

Pictures within pictures maybe? My step-father is a painter and has done some really good stuff where the image kinda looks like his desk abstracted in a dream, but there might be a post-it-note on a bulletin board or something, and it will have it's own totally different art on it, often an entirely different subject or style.

Also read this on the new MTV logo, and how it is being used as a canvas for images, a common theme in marketing right now.

http://www.creativereview.co.uk/cr-b...refreshes-logo
    Jason Hamilton
    Selective Frame

EOS 5D - Canon EF 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF 35 f/2, EF 50mm f/1.8 Mk II, EF 70-210 f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF 85mm f/1.8 USM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro, Helios 44-2 58mm f/2 (with EOS adapter), 430EX, Canon S90
    Nikon FE - Nikkor 35mm f/2 AI'd, Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 AI, Nikkor 105mm f/2.5 AI, F to EF adapter, 2xVivitar 285, other lighting stuff
    Mamiya C220 - 80mm f/2.8

Gear List flickr

Lightbulb That ring thing ...

This is my basis for the next project, which is termed: "OUT OF BOUNDS"

Name:  Project-3-Idea.jpg
Views: 214
Size:  474.3 KB

I need to develop a flow, but I believe this is the end target image, comprised of two 360 panorama images (the original which I took from the Observatory atop of the John Hancock Building, in Chicago, back in August 2008) ... and two variations of the polar coordinate tool.

It kind of reminds me of Jeff Wayne's War of the Worlds, The Eve of War:

JOURNALIST: "No one would have believed, in the last years of the
    nineteenth century, that human affairs were being watched from the timeless worlds
    of space.

No one could have dreamed we were being scrutinized, as someone with a microscope
    studies creatures that swarm and multiply in a drop of water. Few men even considered
    the possibility of life on other planets and yet, across the gulf of space, minds
    immeasurably superior to ours regarded this Earth with envious eyes, and slowly and
    surely, they drew their plans against us."

Then, I had this idea to, quite literally, eliminate "negative space" ...

Name:  Project-3-idea-down-the-tube.jpg
Views: 234
Size:  775.6 KB

In light of the recent 4.3 Earthquake we had in nearby Sycamore, IL ... I feel the above image has ... sorry, experienced IMPACT!

How's that for a "picture within a picture ... within a picture ... etc", Jason?

Anyway, suggestions?
    Last edited by DonSchap; 02-13-2010 at 01:59 AM.

flickr & Sdi