Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 10 of 84 FirstFirst ... 891011122060 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by DonSchap View Post
    @ Darin: you need to "nit pick" a little closer, because both hands have ALL of their fingers and thumbs.

I suppose I could simply use the MENU on the α850 and select the APS-C Capture mode (11 MP) ... or reduce the resolution a bit, by going to 'M" (13 MP) instead of the "L" (24 MP). Most students do not have Full Frame imaging available to them, so I am going to assume they would not have this file size issue to worry about.

Where my desktop only has 2GB of RAM to manipulate an image in, the new MSI laptop has a full 4GB to mess with ... and a CORE 2 Duo processor to jockey it around. The ATI Radeon video card is also pretty neat, but that darn LCD screen is unreliable as a measured video evaluation/color management resource. It you tilt the screen just a bit, you get an entirely different looking shade due to polarization. That can be really hard to make image adjustments/judgments from.
    Don, I looked back at the image and you are right. When I looked at it, the angle of the left hand made it appear to me as though the fingers were all the same length.

On the editing issues, I hear you loud and clear. My current laptop only has 1 gig of RAM and the RAW conversion software really struggles to process the RAW files. So, I will be upgrading some time in the next several months.

I've also learned that one true difficulty of working off the laptop is the LCD screen "tilt factor." If you're not viewing it straight on, color and saturation can look dramatically different.

I'd be interested in hearing whether others only use desktops for editing their images or hook their laptops up to a desktop sized monitor for editing.
    Darin Wessel
    α 900
    Zooms: Tamron SP AF70-200mm f2.8 Di LD Macro; Sigma 28-90mm D macro, Konica-Minolta 18-70 f3.5-5.6
    Primes: Minolta 28mm f2.8; Sony 50mm f1.4
    Minolta RC-1000 remote commander

Film:
    Calumet Cambo CC400 4x5 View Camera
    YashikaMat 6x6 TLR (other accessories)
    Minolta Maxxum 7000 w/ Minolta 35-80mm f/4-5.6 & Minolta 2800 flash
    Minolta Maxxum 5000i & Vivitar 728 AFM flash
    What's next???

I only use a desktop for editing.
    Laptops are underpowered (unless you want no battery life) expensive and disposable (try and get a reasonably priced part for a 2 year old laptop).

Red face Art School is not always an image away ...

The real photography will take place next quarter. This is all Photoshop and Illustrator software usage. I have to take these classes in their natural progression.
    • Fundamentals of Video Production Students will study the technical terms of video production and learn to operate basic video production equipment, using typical industry techniques
    • Digital Darkroom The course addresses issues related to color theory, resolution, contrast and density controls and the production of photo quality digital prints from scanned film and direct digital captures.
    • Database and Web Prep This course will educate the student on photo database management, batch processing, and the transfer of work online. It will also include some exploration of AfterEffects, Dreamweaver, html, and Flash.
    • Digital Photographic Production In this introduction to digital photo production, student become acquainted with the concepts, hardware, and software related to digital image acquisition, manipulation, and output, including scanning, masking, layering, retouching, and printing.

On a monstrously positive note: My "Cabaret" poster got picked for display in the main hall! They chose 5 out of the 25 submitted. That's making this old guy smile!

Anyway ... here is some further development on the new "rock band" poster idea ... using Photoshop:

Name:  _DSC4335-working-E.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  850.0 KB
    Last edited by DonSchap; 02-04-2010 at 11:36 AM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Is it just me, or did your creature lose weight from the last image??? Laproscopic gastric bypass surgery???

On a more serious note, it's looking much better now that it is in context with the rest of the poster.
    Darin Wessel
    α 900
    Zooms: Tamron SP AF70-200mm f2.8 Di LD Macro; Sigma 28-90mm D macro, Konica-Minolta 18-70 f3.5-5.6

Film:
    What's next???

Red face Losing the load ...

Darin,

In the first series of shots ... the figure was "unoccupied", much like Frank's New Jersey "bench-sitters", during Halloween, last year.

The second series of costumed wonders were model operated ... and the model weighed all of 160 lbs. Yes, that "stuffed" feeling was finally gone and it shows. What a diet plan!

Anyway ... thanks for the comments ... and I'll get more feedback at school, tonight.

BTW: IMO, these intense colors really do print well on the EPSON 3800. I love that printer.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 02-04-2010 at 05:59 AM.
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Say it ain't so, Fundamentals of Video Production?!!??!?
    flickr

Canon 7D - 5D | 550EX - 430EX II - (2) PW FlexTT5 | 24-105 f4L | 70-200 f2.8L IS | 100 f2.8L IS | 50 f1.8 II

Does the school not mandate what system you use so that everyone is on the same page?

Like Sheridan College here gives you a DSLR for the entirety of the course so you have the same equipment as everyone else and don't have to use your own!
    Canon EOS 7D

flickr
    FLUIDR

The school also likes Apple computers ...

But, I am much happier using the PC. Have been for the past 25 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Elisha82 View Post
    Does the school not mandate what system you use so that everyone is on the same page?

Like Sheridan College here gives you a DSLR for the entirety of the course so you have the same equipment as everyone else and don't have to use your own!
    In their new student package, they offer a Nikon D80 to the students. I told them I have my own system and prefer the interface and support I have. They charge a pretty nickle for the camera, also.

If they offered a Nikon D3x, at a tremendous discount, for student use ... I might actually pause for a minute. That could be something worth trading to, but they don't ... so as far as I am concerning, negotiations are off the table. I will continue to use my "bargain brand."

Quote Originally Posted by dr4gon View Post
    Say it ain't so, Fundamentals of Video Production?!!??!?
    I got to school, early, yesterday, met with my education counselor for about fifteen minutes and wound up pre-registering for a couple of different selections, than what the course map had suggested, as detailed in above posting. I will eventually take the other two, but in a different quarter and course load. I had asked about the "video!" course that was required and found out that it is a "101" course and part of the curriculum for dealing location techniques. It ties into the future "Location Photography" course, as a pre-req.

Here is what is coming up in April 2010:

• Fundamentals of Video ProductionStudents will study the technical terms of video production and learn to operate basic video production equipment, using typical industry techniques
    • Digital DarkroomThe course addresses issues related to color theory, resolution, contrast and density controls and the production of photo quality digital prints from scanned film and direct digital captures.
    • Print ProductionThis course introduces the production process for printed materials. All aspects of production, from file formatting to binding, are explored.
    • Professional DevelopmentThis course prepares students for their chosen field by examining career paths, assessing their experience, introducing them to methods to further develop their skills and marketability, and giving them practical experience in writing business correspondence and interviewing.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 02-04-2010 at 11:39 AM.

flickr & Sdi

Quarter Cram

Boy Don, your post reminded me of what it was like to be on the 10 week quarter system. UC San Diego, where I got my BA was on the quarter system. It was cram as much information in and immediately regurgitate what you just learned. Before you knew it, you were on to the next quarter.

When I got to law school on the 16 week semester system, I really began to appreciate those extra 6 weeks.

I especially like the 16 week semester for the photography classes at the local JC. That's 16 weeks of access to the photo studio and labs.
    Darin Wessel
    α 900

Film:
    What's next???

Thumbs up Once trained ... in better shape

You can be sure it is all about getting them out there making money. There is a lot of positive energy ... but, also a tremendous push! The school makes significant money off the "back to school" syndrome, since employment is very much still in the tank.

I was talking to the security guard, who also works with the school building across the lot ... which is all "IT" technical training. He says the place is packed with 40-50 year olds, trying to maintain some semblance of control on technology leaps and having to keep the newbies at bay, who will work for dirt wages and be in much better health, as "IT" tends to stress-afflict most people (heart-attacks, hypertension, and other maladies) and burn them out at an accelerated rate. I told him I can truly relate, as I have let go of the IT-leash ... in favor of the arts, near the end of my working career.

This quarter, I am spend evenings at the school. The next quarter, that looks like it will change. It is kind of weird not being able to keep a constant schedule, like I did in junior college, and there are not that many full-time jobs that will tolerate a changing schedule every ten weeks. Heck, part-time jobs would probably be pressured to adapt.

As a tangible goal, I want to get myself into something just a bit more constant and stable, than to have a six-month technological generation turn-over. I mean that is rough! Oh sure, the camera equipment improves time and again, but the methodology of taking a decent image is still much the same as it was when I did it way back in high school. The elimination of film was a true gift, allowing people to keep their hard earned money spent on time-constrained media and expensive silver-based supplies for the disappearing film industry.

I may, occasionally, perforate my class schedule with a quarter off, here and there ... just to allow myself to breathe, because at this rate ... it can look more than a bit overwhelming. I am not running to join the industry. I'll leave that to the kids. I would just like to help them along, if I can. Call it a "legacy of instruction", if you will.

I know I have shown how much it used to cost to produce images, at a reasonable level of interest, and how you can easily estimate a savings of $3000/year ... which you can turn around and use to buy new lenses, support items and other necessities ... rather than media, developing labor and chemicals.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 02-04-2010 at 09:25 PM.

flickr & Sdi