Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 7 of 84 FirstFirst ... 567891757 ... LastLast

Thumbs up Critique is appreciated

Thanks, for the suggestion, Peter ... and Frank, thanks for the comment on Facebook.

Like I said, it is an "initial draft" BEFORE I head back to class, on Tuesday. I wanted to get something together and then tap the professor's insight for the final adjustments or suggestions.

I have made them and copied the changed image to the above location ^
    Last edited by DonSchap; 01-17-2010 at 11:58 AM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Quote Originally Posted by DonSchap View Post
    I am so tired of having to complete with fresh-faced (pimple-faced) kids coming out of the tech schools and taking sub-level pay, because this horrid economy and then doing the 7/24-thing, besides, because they do not have a "real" life. It just presents murderous bargaining position for a raise ... which has been a mere 3% or less for the past six years ... with the added insulting remark, "If you don't like it, there's the door, pal! There are half-a dozen IT-pukes just waiting to take your place."

"Fine, hire them!"
    And for some reason you think you won't be competing with those same kids for a photography job . Look around your classes - any other 50ish students? Go ahead and spend your hard earned cash for a piece of paper. Why not invest instead in equipment that would allow you to get into the wedding photographer business and start bringing in some cash? It's your choice, just don't be a fool and think you're not gonna compete with the younger set for a photography job as well. Good luck.
    Dennis

Canon 5D
    Canon 20D

Georgetown, KY Photographer
    Retouching

Cool The Ocean of Life ...

There just are not that many formally trained photographers out there. Personally, at this point, I am not that interested in doing weddings. Lugging gear around is not my strongest point, these days. I have some flexibility in doing all of this ... and that is key to my decision making. My immediate needs are pretty well taken care of, kids are off to their own lives ... so I am concentrating on the business-end of photography, for the moment and, perhaps, teaching at the end of the degree path.

Physically competing with 20-30 year olds is folly, I agree. I suggest it is much better in a consultation and management of resources position. Somewhere in all of it ... I hope to connect with serious and upcoming players. I have a leg up on the younger members, due to my equipment edge.

I lose all that in "I.T.", as it changes way too fast, in my opinion, and these companies will snap up these numerous, desperate and less costly people people in a heartbeat, to reduce operating costs. If anything, these younger folks have a true leg up on me, being indoctrinated with the most current technologies and training available, as they exit school. Photography, not so much, as Photography is recorded history. In the I.T. world, age discrimination is a complaint that is truly hard to make stick. I have watched as time and again, such cases are turned away with no compensation or concern. 20-30 years with a company and gone, the next day, if and when they replace you. The average permanent position is less than 5-years, these days. Heck, technology-wise, you cannot walk into a cell phone store, between contracts (2 years) and find the same kind of phone in use, let alone a computer?

I was involved in putting together the first cellular system ... and it is no longer even in use. Having that kind of "history" means NADA! You are just a gear in a much bigger machine. A "no-impact" player.

Photography, not so much. Year after year, as you know, its the same great lenses and methodology that all the new cameras hook up to. A much calmer sea, if you will, to navigate upon. Here is where experience stays a little more even with knowledge ... and counts a lot more than knowing electronic technologies that are long gone. Plus, add to that the fact that YOU can make a name for yourself, if you so desire. It does not have to be "My Best Friend's Wedding" all the time. There are other avenues of pursuit and ... fame.

I appreciate the good luck wish and will continue to hit the books, realizing its the journey in life, not the destination. You will not get run over by the youth in this sport. You can take their picture from the sidelines and do equally well.

All the best back at you ... and set your sights a little higher.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 01-17-2010 at 05:23 PM.
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

There just are not that many formally trained photographers out there.
    Very true. Photography is one where the degree is not that important (imo), while a good portfolio is or should be. I see questions on other forums where a person has taken a job and then asks basic questions about how to shoot it. There seems to be so many out there that want to jump into the business without thorough knowledge.
    Personally, at this point, I am not that interested in doing weddings.
    I'm with you there. I've gotten talked into doing 3 and I'm cool with that number not growing. Hats off to the ones that do them tho.
    I have some flexibility in doing all of this ... and that is key to my decision making. My immediate needs are pretty well taken care of, kids are off to their own lives ... so I am concentrating on the business-end of photography, for the moment and, perhaps, teaching at the end of the degree path.
    That's definitely an advantage. I'm looking at expanding my business once I retire from my day job. I take a few jobs here and there, I don't really pursue it that much.
    I lose all that in "I.T.", as it changes way too fast, ... If anything, these younger folks have a true leg up on me, being indoctrinated with the most current technologies and training available, as they exit school.... Having that kind of "history" means NADA! You are just a gear in a much bigger machine. A "no-impact" player.

Photography, not so much. Here is where experience stays a little more even with knowledge ... and counts a lot more than knowing electronic technologies that are long gone.
    I know what you're saying here, just not sure I 100% agree with you. Yes, I.T. changes constantly and at an ever-quickening pace. As you said, photography has changed little over the years. Yes, cameras have changed and become more sophisticated, but the basic use is the same. Aperture, shutter speed, ISO, focal length, lighting, exposure, etc. doesn't change. Therefore, some kid directly out of school will be pretty much on the same level. You've been involved in I.T. for many years and some of the technology you cut your teeth on, the kids today don't have a clue about. There are still some antiquated systems out there that the youngsters don't have a clue how to maintain. That knowledge does give you an added worth. Yes, you must stay current with changes as well. I've been in the communications field for a little over 33 years now. Believe it or not, there are some companies that still use analog circuits. Some of the newer guys don't have the first clue on what to do if one of them goes down. There are very few of us "old farts" around that know how to work on them. Yes, I get kidded about some of the old technology I've worked on (remember 8 party lines?), but they ask me more than I ask them.
    ...realizing its the journey in life, not the destination.
    True enough.
    Dennis

Canon 5D
    Canon 20D

Georgetown, KY Photographer
    Retouching

Don,

The slogan on the poster took a bit (or a bit too long) to understand that "gut" was supposed to be with a German accent to sound like goot (English translation good). It was distracting and took away from the overall message and image.
    Darin Wessel
    α 900
    Zooms: Tamron SP AF70-200mm f2.8 Di LD Macro; Sigma 28-90mm D macro, Konica-Minolta 18-70 f3.5-5.6
    Primes: Minolta 28mm f2.8; Sony 50mm f1.4
    Minolta RC-1000 remote commander

Film:
    Calumet Cambo CC400 4x5 View Camera
    YashikaMat 6x6 TLR (other accessories)
    Minolta Maxxum 7000 w/ Minolta 35-80mm f/4-5.6 & Minolta 2800 flash
    Minolta Maxxum 5000i & Vivitar 728 AFM flash
    What's next???

Talking Come hear the music play ...

Darin, along those lines ... I would appreciate some support or not of the wording from others, as maximum appeal is the idea behind it. I was pushing the German aspect to the entire sales part of it, by merging German and English together ... in kind of quasi-pigeon deutsche fashion. Was ist los? LOL What if I added a "t" to "is -> ist?

In other words: "Mein Herr, was gute ist sitting alone in your room?"

because the actual German is a little tougher to swallow, in mein opinion:

"Mein Herr, welches gute sitzt alleine in Ihrem Raum?"

It certainly do not hearken to be similar in construction to the first lines of the song, which is where I want this to be. I kindly ask for a little artistic license for impact. In fact, I have altered (edited) the image to reflect the newer ... more correct(?) sounding line. For fun, I also linked the new poster to the Liza Minnelli performance from the movie. Click on the image and head on down to the Cabaret, "old chum."
    Last edited by DonSchap; 01-17-2010 at 11:19 PM.

flickr & Sdi

Red face Adv Image Manipulation

Well, another class and review of the initial project. I was stunned when I was told it "looks good ... but, you should ..." this and that.

Hey, that was not rejection! Cool!

So, here is the continued modified image ...

Name:  Cabaret-working-poster-latest+6.jpg
Views: 63
Size:  481.7 KB

Mein Herr

I am still working on acquiring some model support from other areas in the school. Who knows, if I did get some cooperation, the whole image shift entirely. Just nice to have this fallback, if necessary.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 01-26-2010 at 02:06 AM.

flickr & Sdi

sorry, i may have missed the info earlier in the thread, but i thought you were doing a photography course ??
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

Nah ... this is advanced Photoshopping! It requires I shoot my OWN art ... no imports, so that's the photography portion of it. In this case, the derby hat. Obviously, if I get the model action, then that may change and I will have another portion of the body to contend with. It all depends on what happens tomorrow, during a luncheon conference.

Anyway, any thoughts on this image?

flickr & Sdi

I still find the background a bit overpowering and would tone it down a bit.
    Remove the swastikas on "CABARET". They reduce the prominence of this important piece if information.