Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 6 of 84 FirstFirst ... 456781656 ... LastLast
    I've been in the IT field for 10 years now and I don't feel like killing myself. Sure, I wish I made more money but that's why I'm going back to school...for my IT degree.
    -Paul-
    Canon 7D - Canon 17-55 IS USM - Canon 70-200mm f/4 IS - Canon 50mm f/1.8 - Sigma 30mm f/1.4 - Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6 - Canon 430EX II Speedlite

I'll send you my degree, photoshop your name on it
    Canon EOS 7D

flickr
    FLUIDR

Quote Originally Posted by Elisha82 View Post
    I'll send you my degree, photoshop your name on it
    That'll save me $40,000!
    -Paul-
    Canon 7D - Canon 17-55 IS USM - Canon 70-200mm f/4 IS - Canon 50mm f/1.8 - Sigma 30mm f/1.4 - Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6 - Canon 430EX II Speedlite

Thumbs down Tired of the grind ...

I am so tired of having to complete with fresh-faced (pimple-faced) kids coming out of the tech schools and taking sub-level pay, because this horrid economy and then doing the 7/24-thing, besides, because they do not have a "real" life. It just presents murderous bargaining position for a raise ... which has been a mere 3% or less for the past six years ... with the added insulting remark, "If you don't like it, there's the door, pal! There are half-a dozen IT-pukes just waiting to take your place."

"Fine, hire them!"

Professional photography presents a much more controlled education issue, the equipment does NOT change that often, and a more "livable" schedule that you almost create. Heck, I just met up with a gal pulling down $2800 for each wedding shoot and is booked through 2010. That's a serious gig and you can get some great camera gear with that kind of profit pull down, especially in this current economy.

Imagine, all SONY/Zeiss glass and the seriously long glass, too! Sounds incredible ... and doing something I know I enjoy. LOL

High-end school and networking is looking better every day!

You can always find some excuse not to do something ... but, I have decided to forgo the excuses and finally complete the task at hand. I know a higher education puts you in another bracket, when the other pros come looking. I suppose that is the price of big business.

Anyway ... lots of homework ...
    Last edited by DonSchap; 01-13-2010 at 09:40 PM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Okay ... setting up for the Image Manipulation class .. and it kicks off with having me do a model shoot (of course I have to find the model) to pose in a "Cabaret" setup for a poster project. Cripes, that darn outfit alone is going to cost a couple hundred ... and that's getting off easy.

Looks like I am off to the fashion area of the campus, tomorrow, to see if they can help. Preliminary images are due by Tuesday! Can you imagine, Don Schap, fashion photographer? HA!

Edit: Well, after some careful consideration and the fact that I am w/o a model for this ... "I have altered the deal. Pray I do not alter any further." Darth Vader to Lando Calrisian, The Empire Strikes Back

It should be a lot simpler, but also suggestive. When you have lemons ...
    Last edited by DonSchap; 01-15-2010 at 02:40 PM.
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Don,

The model shoots in my last semester's class ... or more to the point, finding the model for the model shoots proved to be the most dificult part of the assignments.

Since this is an arts college you are going to, I suspect that there is probably a fashion design class whose assignment is to create a cabaret outfit. Call it professorial collaberation - professors in separate disciplines giving a seemingly independent assignment with an unstated design of challenging the students to search out resources and interact with other disciplines/art students at the college (photo students, shoot a cabaret model; clothing design students, create a cabaret outfit for a model and present the completed assignment in a photo display). Fashion photographers need models and clothing desingers; clothing designers need models and photographers; models need clothing designers and photographers.

Just a thought. (I had it hapen to me in a different context during my BA studies.)
    Darin Wessel
    α 900
    Zooms: Tamron SP AF70-200mm f2.8 Di LD Macro; Sigma 28-90mm D macro, Konica-Minolta 18-70 f3.5-5.6
    Primes: Minolta 28mm f2.8; Sony 50mm f1.4
    Minolta RC-1000 remote commander

Film:
    Calumet Cambo CC400 4x5 View Camera
    YashikaMat 6x6 TLR (other accessories)
    Minolta Maxxum 7000 w/ Minolta 35-80mm f/4-5.6 & Minolta 2800 flash
    Minolta Maxxum 5000i & Vivitar 728 AFM flash
    What's next???

Red face I have modified my idea ...

If I had a little more warning ... and some collaboration. I mean it is "just a poster" ... and having a "star" on it is more of a luxury than an obligation.

Unfortunately, two days is just not getting it done, in this environment. It is unrealistic as the younger folks really are a little dubious of "that old guy." Under different circumstances ... and some more in class familiarization ... perhaps, but in today's society, and with all the financial pressures on everyone... man, it's a tough run.

Thanks for the suggestion, but not having to work with "talent" makes life a lot easier, at this point. There's a lot to be said for "still life." When I get get settled in, I will be a bit more aggressive in my projects. For the first one, I just need to complete it and weather the process. If they make it too demanding on the students, all they will do is alienate and lose their interest.

I understand the learning process, but certain support structures have to be erected to properly attack an issue. I am missing the social ties to bind this project. I could throw money at it, but "the return", in this case, simply does not justify it.

Who would have thought I would be doing "cost/benefit" analysis? LOL
    Last edited by DonSchap; 01-17-2010 at 02:09 AM.

flickr & Sdi

Lightbulb Willkommen

Okay ... I worked on some images ... and it got tough when I realized that not having a woman's narrow leg in the stocking just was not going to get it done. In fact, I even considered borrowing a mannequin (or part there of). I still might.

But, I still wanted something to look at ... and went with one of my original drafts to get this poster for my imaginary play assignment:

Name:  Cabaret-working-poster-latest.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  477.8 KB

Cabaret

If you are curious about the swastikas, they are there because the period the play takes place in is pre-World War II Berlin. The Nazis were still organizing and Berlin was one swinging and jazzy place, back then. There are not too many people left that can tell you about it, because they are all nearly eighty years old or older.

Anyway, it is there as an effort to zero-in on the period, and because I needed a strong background, this covered that aspect of the image. It is, by no means, intended as an endorsement of the Nazi-party or anything it represents. Art is weird that way.

Please remember that this is just a semi-draft to determine the sensibilities of the professor in the final product.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 01-26-2010 at 01:07 AM.

flickr & Sdi

The background is overpowering the small text. You may want to add a black outer stroke to it.

Maybe a German cross would be more appropriate than the Swastika?
    Name:  German Cross.jpg
Views: 81
Size:  50.8 KB

LOL that wouldn't be Don.

Frank
    Sony A77
    Sony A580
    Sony A 100
    Maxxum 400si.
    Sony 18-70 Kit Lens
    Minolta AF 35-70
    Minolta AF 50 f/1.7