Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 2 of 84 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Red face Film experience need not apply

My biggest concern is getting credit for "life experience" ... but, I know we all get tripped up by the software when it comes to digital. They said they have abandoned teaching film and processing. Oh wow!
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

lets hope that its focused on execution more than theory.
    D800e l V1 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l EP5 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

Question Which way do we go ... which way do we go?

I am seriously interested in finding out the direction of Photography, at this time, as opposed to prior years. One of the things that has troubled me is the competitive edge that SONY could have in the industry, yet seems to be reluctant to step up and take the lead. It is almost like something is ... well, missing. (Yeah, yeah ... I know ... a superior mirror-less, full-frame sport cam ... capable of 10-14 fps, turning motion into high-quality stills).

Happily, it has been with SONY's (Minolta's) advances that the cost of Image Stability came back to earth in the Canon and Nikon systems. They finally had to "compete" and the users are the benefactors, of course. Then TAMRON developed their own independent version of in-the-lens image stability, driving this wonderful Canikon-feature even lower.

Now, with this continued technology shift to have in-the-DSLR video (which appears to be more of a distraction, than of any real benefit), I am curious to see how the "schools" are dealing with it (or planning to) and whether they also seem to support this merging of the methodologies.

Again, looking at the dismal of film capture, "the Arts" are subjective to the whims and fancies of the times. (shrug)
    Last edited by DonSchap; 02-08-2010 at 10:57 PM.
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Quote Originally Posted by DonSchap View Post
    I am seriously interested in finding out the direction of Photography, at this time, as opposed to prior years. One of the things that has troubled me is the competitive edge that SONY could have in the industry, yet seems to be reluctant to step and take the lead. It is almost like something is ... well, missing. (Yeah, yeah ... I know ... a superior mirror-less, full-frame sport cam ... capable of 10-14 fps, turning motion into high-quality stills).

Happily, it has been with SONY's(Minolta's) advances that the cost of Image Stability came back to earth in the Canon and Nikon systems. They finally had to "compete" and the users are the benefactors, of course. Then TAMRON developed their own independent version of in-the-lens image stability, driving this wonderful Canikon-feature even lower.

Now, with this continued technology shift to have in-the-DSLR video (which appears to be more of a distraction, than of any real benefit), I am curious to see how the "schools" are dealing with it (or planning to) and whether they also seem to support this merging of the methodologies.

Again, looking at the dismal of film capture, "the Arts" are subjective to the whims and fancies of the times. (shrug)
    I would think any school which teaches photography will teach strictly photography, none of this videography crap the DSLR's are now incorporating. You would have to go to film school if you wish to learn about the video stuff. So I wouldn't go upgrading your camera to one with video just yet.

If anything, you have more than enough equipment for your learnings, and if for some reason you do not have enough, you can always borrow some school stuff. Just as a warning, it may be Canon or Nikon gear you will be borrowing, so don't be scared of it.
    Nikon D300 | MB-D10 | Nikkor 12-24/4 | Nikkor 50/1.8 | Nikkor 70-200/2.8 VRI | Sigma 18-50/2.8 | SB-800 | SB-80DX (x4) | Radiopopper JrX Studio |

Believe me when I say I lived through the Canon journey ... and I am not too interested in returning to it. And yeah, my selection for the SONY-mount equipment is not too lean (this time), so there is that.

As far as videography goes, like I said ... I am sincerely hoping it is just a "fad" and it goes away. Again, I will know a lot more in the next few hours ... as the ad hoc discussion occurs with the college's review staff.

flickr & Sdi

I am seriously interested in finding out the direction of Photography, at this time, as opposed to prior years. One of the things that has troubled me is the competitive edge that SONY could have in the industry, yet seems to be reluctant to step and take the lead.
    is this what you;re going to school to discuss ? that has nothing to do with photography. is the course called fanboy 101.
    D800e l V1 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l EP5 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

Thumbs up Follow-up to the interview

Well, despite your take on things, 'Rooz', old buddy ...

I found myself quite impressed with the school's operation and assets. When the subject of fanboy-ism came up, I was informed that several students were SONY users. The school uses Nikon D80s for the early courses and I guess that makes sense, since you can pick up a Nikon camera almost anywhere. If I were an uninformed student of the arts ... and only had the "chimping" Ashton Kutcher commercials to refer to, I'd probably fall for all that crap, too. Boo-yah!

After a couple hour discussion, covering my prior scholastic work, experience and inventions, I was stunned when the interviewer laughed and said, "Man, once you have that degree, you need to teach here."

Well, perhaps that was honest ... perhaps it was just to get student admissions up. Who knows, I've done a lot more than most students, at this level, and he made no bones about my being the most interesting interview he had ever had.

Wow, 'Rooz', you would have been spectacular (wink wink, nudge nudge).

Anyway ... it is not a cheap effort, to be sure. Tuition w/o the "Nikon" starter kit is right around $22,500/ yr. The rough evaluation has completion of my Bachelors Degree at about 5-quarters, or about $35,000 in real money. After reviewing financial aid, in this regard, with the 20-year repayment plan and various grants has this quite affordable.

Looking forward, they posted a 88% placement for the students, last year, even in this economy. That bodes well for success. Ongoing student opportunities abound with the Career Development department, constantly posting part-time and full-time positions as they arrive. Heck, they even have a veteran Playboy photographer teaching a couple classes. That definitely has possibilities.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 10-28-2009 at 07:40 PM.

flickr & Sdi

Well, despite your take on things, 'Rooz', old buddy ...

I found myself quite impressed with the school's operation and assets. When the subject of fanboy-ism came up, I was informed that several students were SONY users. The school uses Nikon D80s for the early courses and I guess that makes sense, since you can pick up a Nikon camera almost anywhere. If I were an uninformed student of the arts ... and only had Ashton Kutcher commercials to refer to, I'd probably fall for all that crap, too. Boo-yah!

After a couple hour discussion, covering my prior scholastic work, experience and inventions, I was stunned when the interviewer laughed and said, "Man, once you have that degree, you need to teach here."

Well, perhaps that was honest ... perhaps it was just to get student admissions up. Who knows, I've done a lot more than most students, at this level, and he made no bones about my being the most interesting interview he had ever had.

Wow, 'Rooz', you would have been spectacular (wink wink, nudge nudge).

Anyway ... it is not a cheap effort, to be sure. Tuition w/o the "Nikon" starter kit is right around $22,500/ yr. The rough evaluation has completion of my Bachelors Degree at about 5-quarters, or about $35,000 in real money. After reviewing financial aid, in this regard, with the 20-year repayment plan and various grants has this quite affordable.

Looking forward, they posted a 88% placement for the students, last year, even in this economy. That bodes well for success. Ongoing student opportunities abound with the Career Development department, constantly posting part-time and full-time positions as they arrive. Heck, they even have a veteran Playboy photographer teaching a couple classes. That definitely has possibilities.
    Wait, you're paying how much for this?

Nikon crap? The D90 is essentially an A700 with added HD video.
    flickr

Canon 7D - 5D | 550EX - 430EX II - (2) PW FlexTT5 | 24-105 f4L | 70-200 f2.8L IS | 100 f2.8L IS | 50 f1.8 II

Quote Originally Posted by dr4gon View Post
    Nikon crap? The D90 is essentially an A700 with added HD video.
    Minus the Magnesium Alloy body and environment sealing.
    It was a nice camera when I had it but build wasn't impressive.
    High ISO was at least 1/2 stop better than a700.
    Canon EOS 7D

flickr
    FLUIDR

Question Et tu, Brute'

Hey, I have some SERIOUS NEWS for those of you who do not seem to get it ...

I AM NOT CHANGING BRANDS!

Get over yourselves. You all may run off, charging into the "I'm going buy all NEW glass this Christmas for my new non-SONY brand DSLR", but the "Big D" is not as ... well, you can fill in the blank and way you please. Traitor's choice.

If I were running the school ... I would not have posters of Ashton Kutcher anywhere in sight. Sorry, go SONY ... or go home.

flickr & Sdi