Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 76 1231151 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Lightbulb How about some more ... ed-ja-macation

Well, after being a "novice" for so long ... with only a Photography Certificate to show for it, I have pretty much decided to explore furthering my "understanding" (or lack thereof), by seriously considering going back to school to complete a Bachelor's in Digital Photography.

In a way, it seems a trifle late in the old hobby to be doing this, but then again, Welcome to the Obama-Nation. Plus, last time I checked, I was not getting any younger and there still was a car-load more to know about this sport.

I figure if I am going to move up to the glory glass, I will need to have the business need to achieve it. In other words, I need to be able to "write it off" as a student or business expense. If this works, I will have two bags of glass going ... one for lightweight pleasure ... and the other for impressing the masses.

For those who have resisted have to attend classes to learn photography ... I respectfully suggest you beat feet to you local ed-ja-macation facility and take part in doing so. Just one or two classes can only improve your output of these sophisticated and powerful tools for harnessing light.

Can you imagine ... school all over again? What will I teach them?
    Last edited by DonSchap; 02-08-2010 at 11:54 PM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Deductions are good

I was thinking of going and doing a course in lighting or post processing myself but it may have to wait till next year.
    Canon EOS 7D

flickr
    FLUIDR

I'm thinking about it for next year, but don't see anything that really interests me.
    flickr

Canon 7D - 5D | 550EX - 430EX II - (2) PW FlexTT5 | 24-105 f4L | 70-200 f2.8L IS | 100 f2.8L IS | 50 f1.8 II

best thing you've said all year.
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

Education - the one thing no one can ever take away!

I wanted to take a digital photography class at Pasadena City College, but the pre-requisite was the introductory black & white film class. So, I took that class. It has been fantastic. Even though it's black and white film, the photographic techniques, lighting techniques, and work on composition still apply to digital. Moreover, even though the darkroom work has been black and white with traditional film enlargement techniques, it has given me a better understanding of digital post-processing in PS.

Also, you cannot beat the price. For a 16-week class, the cost was still about 1/3 of the cost of some of these 1-day "this is how your digital camera works" classes. Well worth the price of admission.
    Darin Wessel
    α 900
    Zooms: Tamron SP AF70-200mm f2.8 Di LD Macro; Sigma 28-90mm D macro, Konica-Minolta 18-70 f3.5-5.6
    Primes: Minolta 28mm f2.8; Sony 50mm f1.4
    Minolta RC-1000 remote commander

Film:
    Calumet Cambo CC400 4x5 View Camera
    YashikaMat 6x6 TLR (other accessories)
    Minolta Maxxum 7000 w/ Minolta 35-80mm f/4-5.6 & Minolta 2800 flash
    Minolta Maxxum 5000i & Vivitar 728 AFM flash
    What's next???

I would love to get into some classes. Ideally I would like to do the same and go back for a real degree, but with a child and a full time job, it would be very tough. I need to pay off a full set of student loans anyway.

I'm certainly thinking about hitting up some classes though. I'm getting more and more interested in black and white film, so hopefully I can find a class in that. The part I am most interested in is light and composition.
    Jason Hamilton
    Selective Frame

EOS 5D - Canon EF 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF 35 f/2, EF 50mm f/1.8 Mk II, EF 70-210 f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF 85mm f/1.8 USM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro, Helios 44-2 58mm f/2 (with EOS adapter), 430EX, Canon S90
    Nikon FE - Nikkor 35mm f/2 AI'd, Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 AI, Nikkor 105mm f/2.5 AI, F to EF adapter, 2xVivitar 285, other lighting stuff
    Mamiya C220 - 80mm f/2.8

Gear List flickr

Quote Originally Posted by laydros View Post
    I would love to get into some classes. Ideally I would like to do the same and go back for a real degree, but with a child and a full time job, it would be very tough. I need to pay off a full set of student loans anyway.

I'm certainly thinking about hitting up some classes though. I'm getting more and more interested in black and white film, so hopefully I can find a class in that. The part I am most interested in is light and composition.
    I hold a full-time 60-70 hour/week job.

The class I'm taking is on Saturdays. There were also evening classes during the week and if I need to, the lab at the local JC is open till about 10pm on weekdays. The cost for the class, even with California's budget woes and resulting increase in fees, about $120. Like I say, not bad for 16 weeks of instruction.
    Darin Wessel
    α 900
    Zooms: Tamron SP AF70-200mm f2.8 Di LD Macro; Sigma 28-90mm D macro, Konica-Minolta 18-70 f3.5-5.6
    Primes: Minolta 28mm f2.8; Sony 50mm f1.4
    Minolta RC-1000 remote commander

Film:
    Calumet Cambo CC400 4x5 View Camera
    YashikaMat 6x6 TLR (other accessories)
    Minolta Maxxum 7000 w/ Minolta 35-80mm f/4-5.6 & Minolta 2800 flash
    Minolta Maxxum 5000i & Vivitar 728 AFM flash
    What's next???

Cool Don in review

Well, tomorrow, I am interviewing with the 4-year university to have my rather sparse (as if) portfolio evaluated and unofficial transcript reviewed. Oh, I am so humble ...

It should be an eye-opening experience and I will report back on it later, because let's face it ... this is fun. Let's see how SONY rates against the typical camera squad.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 10-27-2009 at 09:36 PM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

the problem with schools ...they try to teach you everything you already know...just hand me the freekin paper