Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Question Has anyone yet bought a SONY DSLR with the new kit (18-55mm)?

Hi,

I am wondering if anyone has had a chance to look through the new kit lens, the SONY AF 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 "DT" SAM lens, yet?

I am almost tempted to run out and get one (I mean for $199 ... c'mon), for the comparison test against the old "kit" lens (18-70mm f/3.5-5.6 "DT") ... which I found was intensely distasteful to have to shoot through.

My preferred idea would be to have one of these "new" kit lenses (in the α500L or α550L) commented on by someone else. Unfortunately, the a5xx-series are still not available in the USA, for some reason. (as of 10/25/09).

I'm not complaining, as the α850 came out here, first! (delivered 9/2/09)

Anyway, if you bought one of these lenses ... how is it? Any samples? Also, at what focal lengths does it begin to "close down?"

Thank you for your reply
    Last edited by DonSchap; 10-25-2009 at 06:12 AM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

a500 is available on bhphotovideo.com, has been since 10/21/09. still planning on purchasing the a500l. im a few hundred dollars away.
    Flickr

Sony a560 w/ B50AM Vertical Grip
    Sigma 300mm f/2.8 EX DG APO

Thanks Erad ... I would have figured both cameras out at the same time. This really is a little strange.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi