Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What will happen to the D300

Now that the D300s (HD video) has come out do you think the D300 will come down is price? This is wishful thinking, but it would be nice for those of us waiting for a good price drop.

It has, I passed on one at a Best Buy Store for $1429 (usd) vs. $1759 the D300s is going for. Aside from the D200 Nikon does a pretty good job of getting rid of older models before the new ones hit the market. So if you find one on clearance you may want to jump on it.
    - Rich

Nikon: D50, 18-70mm, 50mm, 70-200vr
    Kenko: 12mm, 20mm, 36mm Ext Tubes
    Manfrotto: 486RC2
    Benro: A-327 tripod

My Flickr Photos Here

Europe does not have the retail discount mentality that the US has so I suspect that any price reductions in Europe will be minor. Nikon stopped producing the D300 months ago so I doubt that many stores have much in the way if stock to discount in the first place.

It's still about $1,500 CDN here for body alone and the D300s can be had for $1,800 CDN.
    Canon EOS 7D

flickr
    FLUIDR

This might be different from country to country, but atleast here they're popping up on the used marked at nice prices and with typically around only 5-10.000 exposures on them. If it hadn't been for my plans to go mental and get a d700, I'd pick up another D300 just so I didn't have to change lenses so much

Quote Originally Posted by K1W1 View Post
    Nikon stopped producing the D300 months ago so I doubt that many stores have much in the way if stock to discount in the first place.
    Why,why,why? The chance to upgrade and Nikon drops the bomb. What if I don't want HD video or pay for it?
    Last edited by fotogmarc; 10-28-2009 at 02:21 AM.

why not go for a D90? its affordable & the sensor is equal to the d300.

Yea, I was looking at the D90, the price is ever so slowly dropping, maybe for the holidays it will drop even more. Of course I have the common dream of finding a great bargain on an upper level Dslr. I admire th photo quality of the D90, but two things I would like are in camera IS and a rotating lcd. Olympus, Pentax and Sony fit the bill, but I like to put myself in the postion of difficult decisions, that way I don't buy too much gear.

I can't see Nikon going to in camera IS in the foreseeable future to do so would be a huge loss of face and that isn't going to happen. If in camera IS is a must have then you should stop looking at Nikons now and move on to something that fits or at least mainly fits he bill.

Quote Originally Posted by fotogmarc View Post
    Why,why,why? The chance to upgrade and Nikon drops the bomb. What if I don't want HD video or pay for it?
    Relatively speaking the D300 was holding it's price rather well, it's price drop was due to the anticipation of a new release in this case the D300s. I doubt that video added at all to pricing if anything you're getting more technology for your dollar. Manurfacturers set certain price points that they want to meet reguardless. In some cases features are deactivated in a product but nevertheless the pricing is at a lower price point than a fully activated product, even though there's no physical differences in the product.
    I thought about who I am... and realized I was an
    unformed, unreconciled imagery, without "GOD"

NikonD?
    and some other Nikon stuff

0.0%