Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Quote Originally Posted by DonSchap View Post
    The enormous cost of long lenses that exceed f/4 is utterly obnoxious and you are well aware of that. In fact, the raw size of a 400mm f/2.8 or even a 600mm f/2.8 is hard to appreciate until you try to stuff it in your lens bag. So, you are masking a lot of truth in your statement, but be that as it may ... the need to reinvent every lens for an APS-C body still seems rather pointless and kind of wasteful, in my opinion.
    Huh? What does this paragraph have to do with anything I have said? I thought you were saying 3.5-5.6 glass was somehow inferior, I guess you are saying that the manufacturers haven't been producing any 3.5-5.6 glass in FF versions. OK you are maybe partially right, but Sony, Canon, Nikon, Sigma, and Tamron have plenty of older 3.5-5.6 designs that are FF, and these FF lenses will work fine on a crop sensor. They had to create more wide lenses because of the crop.

I have no love for "digital" lenses, they are a waste for me. Everything except for the Tokina in my bag has always been FF. Some of that was in preparation for moving to FF one day, and some of that was in protest to Canon's leaving the 10D out of the EF-s lens line. I will NEVER buy any EF-s lens, I think Canon's exclusionary tactic with these lenses was wrong. All of the rest of the manufacturers got it right allowing their DI lenses to be mounted on a FF with a reduced image circle. I will, however, buy another APS-c body.
    Last edited by TenD; 10-24-2009 at 07:02 PM.
    A good photograph is knowing where to stand.
    Ansel Adams

Rule books are paper, they will not cushion a sudden meeting of stone and metal.
    Ernest K. Gann-Fate is the Hunter.

I have to admit, it is exasperating to try and offer a possibility around here without instantaneous dismissal.

The APS-C sensor is simply an alternative to something that works and is coming down in price. Maintaining both types of lenses seems ... a bit redundant and overall pointless.

With the a850/a900 ...you can place the TAMRON SP AF 200-500mm f/5-6.3 Di LD super-telephoto on it, aim it toward the Land Down Under and snap off a shot in the APS-C capture mode and get the effective 300-750mm f/5-6.3 shot you seem to crave, with a Full Frame lens!

Going to Photoshop, you can crop the same Full Frame 200-500mm f/5-6.3 image and get nearly identical resolution, too, that you would have with an a700 APS-C camera. So, why even bother with the APS-C.

Isn't this like coming to gunfight with a knife? I guess I'm not seeing the logic.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

The APS-C sensor is simply an alternative to something that works and is coming down in price. Maintaining both types of lenses seems ... a bit redundant and overall pointless.
    No it's not.

Forget EVERYTHING ELSE.

APS-C is not dying any time soon, neither is 4/3s.

You're not stating a preference or giving an option, you're making a totally foolish statement and taking it as law because YOU BELIEVE IT. No other reason.
    E-510
    E-1
    Zuiko 14-54 F2.8-3.5 MkI
    Zuiko 70-300 F4.0-5.6
    Konica Hexanon 52mm F1.8
    Cullmann 2503
    Benro KS-0

Wink Again ...

BTW: I apologize for not being able to profess a more convincing argument. Time will tell ...
    and there it is.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Convincing argument??

well he got 50% of it right. lol
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr