Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Question Should SONY keep producing new DT lens offerings?

I went looking at the Canon site, to see what was happening and I happened to notice that they have include two new lens offering, along with the EOS 7D and EOS 1D MkIV camera introductions.

A pair of kit-style apertures:
    • EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS (MSRP $499.99)
      EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM (MSRP $799.99)

Both these lenses are designed for APS-C sensor DSLRs ... and would have limited use on the FF. Obviously, every thing shifts 1.6x (Canon's DCF) to the right, making them, in operation, effectively:
    • EF-S 29mm-216mm f/3.5-5.6 IS
      EF-S 24-136mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM

Being "IS" equipped lenses, it probably makes sense that Canon would need to supply these to their users, but would SONY be so "trite" as to add even more dark zoom lenses to their "DT" selection? Personally, I hope this nonsense is over. Name:  snear anger.gif
Views: 103
Size:  30.8 KB
    Last edited by DonSchap; 10-22-2009 at 12:15 AM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

of course they should and WILL. aps-c is far from over. its still a viable and valuable medium and will be around for a long time.
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

I could go for a zeiss 200-1000 2.8 ff though

This stuff will keep coming. People buy dark lenses. Canon seems to sell the most expensive dark APS-C lenses, but Sony, Nikon, Pentax, and to an extent Olympus will keep doing it as well.

APS-C probably isn't going away anytime soon.

Some of Canon's best glass is in two of their EF-S lenses, the 10-22 and 17-55.

BTW, these lenses will not be of limited use on the FF cameras, they are completely unusable on the FF or APS-H cameras. The mount extends into the body and the mirrors of the FF and APS-H cameras will hit the lens.
    Jason Hamilton
    Selective Frame

EOS 5D - Canon EF 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF 35 f/2, EF 50mm f/1.8 Mk II, EF 70-210 f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF 85mm f/1.8 USM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro, Helios 44-2 58mm f/2 (with EOS adapter), 430EX, Canon S90
    Nikon FE - Nikkor 35mm f/2 AI'd, Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 AI, Nikkor 105mm f/2.5 AI, F to EF adapter, 2xVivitar 285, other lighting stuff
    Mamiya C220 - 80mm f/2.8

Gear List flickr

Thumbs up Mount design with NO limitations

It the case of Canon, you are correct. "DT" lenses in SONY Land work on any SONY DLSR, you just have to mode switch to get proper response on the FF-Frame cameras.

I would suggest that making everything "Full Frame" makes for more sales, overall. There are very few people that would select a "DT" lens for their Full Frame camera (be it FF-digital or 35mm-film).
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Quote Originally Posted by DonSchap View Post
    I would suggest that making everything "Full Frame" makes for more sales, overall. There are very few people that would select a "DT" lens for their Full Frame camera (be it FF-digital or 35mm-film).
    Except... making everything FF compatible would needlessly increase the cost for the vast majority of users. Think what you like, Don, but FF is not the natural progression for dSLR users. FF is the natural progression for users that can definitely benefit from FF (FOV, better moire control).

Bigger image circle = more glass = more cost in manufacturing = harder to develop = more costs in R+D = higher initial lens cost.
    E-510
    E-1
    Zuiko 14-54 F2.8-3.5 MkI
    Zuiko 70-300 F4.0-5.6
    Konica Hexanon 52mm F1.8
    Cullmann 2503
    Benro KS-0

Lightbulb Full Frame membership ... hello, everyone!

Okay, let's say you can get a better result in the knowledge that APS-C sensors are eventually going to become ... extinct. How does that work for you?

Having cheap, smaller aperture glass sort fails in that regard. If the photographic universe (PU) standardizes on "normal"-sized glass elements for the Full Frame, it eliminates a lot of confusion and any limitation whatsoever. Everything works everywhere. ... oh, how novel. Personally, I am liking that idea ... marrying up the real past and eliminating this weird, awkward (APS-C & H) phase of el cheap lenses we are currently trending in.

The next series of Full Frame sensors should pretty well cement this idea. Name:  welocme to the forum.gif
Views: 117
Size:  6.4 KB

flickr & Sdi

Quote Originally Posted by DonSchap View Post
    Okay, let's say you can get a better result in the knowledge that APS-C sensors are eventually going to become ... extinct. How does that work for you?
    Not very well. I don't see a whole lot of reason to expect crop sensors to disappear. Most people don't need the additional size/weight/expense of the FF camera system. Why push them someplace they don't need to go for sake of, what, exactly? A more streamlined product line? Yes, there are some savings to fewer products but it's not a huge issue at this point.

"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds"

Red face Big to insane levels ...

Quote Originally Posted by SONYNUT View Post
    I could go for a zeiss 200-1000 2.8 ff though

The math on that, Steve (and I sure hope you are in superior shape to manage this much glass), reveals that the front element would have to be, at least, 360mm in diameter. That's about 14.2 inches across. Just image what a glass lens disk would weigh at that dimension ...

Name:  Irrational lens size.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  65.9 KB

Handheld?

"Yeah ... sure."
    Name:  let me tell ya about it.gif
Views: 85
Size:  12.6 KB

flickr & Sdi

18-135mm seems like it'd be pretty useful

15-85 is covered by the highly regarded 16-80mm CZ
    flickr

Canon 7D - 5D | 550EX - 430EX II - (2) PW FlexTT5 | 24-105 f4L | 70-200 f2.8L IS | 100 f2.8L IS | 50 f1.8 II