"Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery."

Charles Caleb Colton, Lacon, volume I, no. 183
    (1780 - 1832)

Name:  obvious.gif
Views: 57
Size:  1.0 KB
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Quote Originally Posted by DWessel View Post
    For example, Nikon champions itself as rendering truer colors. Then there's the Sigma cameras that tout having the Foveon direct image sensor that "can capture all primary RGB colors at each and every pixels arranged in three layers, insuring the capture of full and complete color." Or, there's Fugi's SLR camera (Nikon body/lenses) that has combination of large and micro pixels that is touted as capturing sharper images.
    personally, i think all of that is a whole load of BS. the only one i think that has merit is the fuji's dynamic range. the rest ? meh...rubbish i say.
    D800e l V1 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l EP5 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

Quote Originally Posted by Rooz View Post
    personally, i think all of that is a whole load of BS. the only one i think that has merit is the fuji's dynamic range. the rest ? meh...rubbish i say.
    Agreed. All that matters is glass. I don't think Canon makes the best (although the stuff they make is very good) but I do think they make the best bang for buck.

I'm seriously thinking about some of these MF Zeiss lenses for Canon.
    Jason Hamilton
    Selective Frame

EOS 5D - Canon EF 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF 35 f/2, EF 50mm f/1.8 Mk II, EF 70-210 f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF 85mm f/1.8 USM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro, Helios 44-2 58mm f/2 (with EOS adapter), 430EX, Canon S90
    Nikon FE - Nikkor 35mm f/2 AI'd, Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 AI, Nikkor 105mm f/2.5 AI, F to EF adapter, 2xVivitar 285, other lighting stuff
    Mamiya C220 - 80mm f/2.8

Gear List flickr

Quote Originally Posted by laydros View Post
    Agreed. All that matters is glass. I don't think Canon makes the best (although the stuff they make is very good) but I do think they make the best bang for buck.

I'm seriously thinking about some of these MF Zeiss lenses for Canon.
    Actually, Olympus glass is provably the best - the telecentric nature of the system (smaller sensor) means that glass can be made smaller, and to a finer standard than the competition. Of course, you trade 1-2 stops of usable High ISO shooting to get that better glass, so there is a tradeoff to be made.

Nikon and Sony's top-end stuff are both very good, I'd probably put Canon a smidge below them. Pentax has some good glass as well, but I've heard so much complaining about the new lenses they've put out from the Pentax users I know it's hard to judge.
    E-510
    E-1
    Zuiko 14-54 F2.8-3.5 MkI
    Zuiko 70-300 F4.0-5.6
    Konica Hexanon 52mm F1.8
    Cullmann 2503
    Benro KS-0

Quote Originally Posted by jekostas View Post
    Actually, Olympus glass is provably the best - the telecentric nature of the system (smaller sensor) means that glass can be made smaller, and to a finer standard than the competition. Of course, you trade 1-2 stops of usable High ISO shooting to get that better glass, so there is a tradeoff to be made.

Nikon and Sony's top-end stuff are both very good, I'd probably put Canon a smidge below them. Pentax has some good glass as well, but I've heard so much complaining about the new lenses they've put out from the Pentax users I know it's hard to judge.
    I was saying that I DON'T think Canon is the best, just in most cases you get 90% of the other brands quality for less money.

I disagree that any is provably the best. Best MTF maybe, but many aspects like color, bokeh, etc are subjective.

The truth is that each line probably has the best lens in one category or another. Another point is that Zeiss and Leica glass is probably generally better than anything from the big SLR companies.

I love that Oly offers some f/2.0 zooms. As someone that has switched brands, and spent a good bit of time looking at others, I pretty much don't have much brand loyalty. I think the best brand depends on what level you are at (pro, amateur, poor, etc) and it changes over time. Canon may offer the better FF non-pro camera at one point in time, but Nikon or Sony might later.
    Jason Hamilton
    Selective Frame

EOS 5D - Canon EF 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF 35 f/2, EF 50mm f/1.8 Mk II, EF 70-210 f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF 85mm f/1.8 USM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro, Helios 44-2 58mm f/2 (with EOS adapter), 430EX, Canon S90
    Nikon FE - Nikkor 35mm f/2 AI'd, Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 AI, Nikkor 105mm f/2.5 AI, F to EF adapter, 2xVivitar 285, other lighting stuff
    Mamiya C220 - 80mm f/2.8

Gear List flickr