Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Question Philosophically: What is your hobby worth?

What’s your hobby worth?

I feel Photography is not a hobby for the feint of heart or the casual among us.

You are probably asking, “WHY?” I know I would be.

Consider this … the planning and design of every SLR lens you will probably encounter goes beyond a day’s work to produce. In fact, I would be so inclined to say the average high-end lens takes several weeks from optical sand to fine polished product. It is carefully assembled, tested and finished for your purchase. So, if you add up all the time involved in the creation of your lens bag (some more than others, of course), you are looking at probably six-months to a year worth of overall work.

That being said, every image you produce is a reflection of that work. Rarely can that be said for any other mass produced tool. So not only are you the creator of your work, but so are the artisans/engineers/assemblers that were originally involved in bringing you your camera and your lenses, for without them … you’d be drawing or painting your work, instead.

Consider this, next time you “pull the shutter release”: Have you truly given your work its full measure?

Good luck in your craft ...
    Last edited by DonSchap; 10-09-2009 at 02:34 PM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

It's all about the little things..........
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thats a very nice, scruffy duck, Sonynut, but get you posting an underexposed image, tsk, tsk.
    Name:  Sonynut Duck.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  352.8 KB
    Seriously though, who created this image? Sonnut who found the location and subject, stood in the right place, focussed the lens, chose the shutter speed, set the exposure (ahem!), waited for the right moment, released the shutter and preserved this lowly, scruffy duck for posterity; or is it the team back at the factory who should get the credit? Maybe we should credit the Duck for posing as she did! Suppose Sonynut had used a P&S camera, whom do we thank then? Does Tiger Woods stand victorious on the 18th at Augusta and thank God for his beatifully crafted putter, or does he think "Geez, I'm good at this"?

Don, I'm not knocking the skill of the team responsible for the lenses that allow us to pursue our hobby (which BTW is not work, well, not for most of us), but do they deserve any credit in the creative process? The girl at the factory putting part of the lens together has no more skill or knowledge of the overall process than the guy in Detroit bolting wheels on cars. The guy running the computer program that designs the optical components has no conception of how an engineer is to go about machining a helicoid and the engineer wouldn't know the difference between a CCD or a CMOS Sensor. They all have their individual skills but creating the final image is not one of them unless they happen to be an Amateur Photographers (I wonder if they get lenses at cost).

Going back to the underexposed Scruffy Duck; do we attach the blame for underexposure to the person who assembled the exposure meter or to the photographer? Maybe we should have a poll?

whats it worth ? my sanity...thats what its worth.
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

Question Equipped to handle the situation

We may be too late for that, 'Rooz" ... that train may have already left the station. Try to maintain ... focus, though.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Every penny in my pocket that the wife doesn't know about!
    Canon EOS 7D

flickr
    FLUIDR

Quote Originally Posted by elisha82 View Post
    every penny in my pocket that the wife doesn't know about!
    and then some.........

Thats a very nice, scruffy duck, Sonynut, but get you posting an underexposed image, tsk, tsk...TURN UP YOUR MONITOR..LOL

No sunglasses..