Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I missed the loss of your last buddy, hate to hear about that.

Rusty looks like a lot of fun, and will probably push you to keeping faster glass to keep up with him.
    Jason Hamilton
    Selective Frame

EOS 5D - Canon EF 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF 35 f/2, EF 50mm f/1.8 Mk II, EF 70-210 f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF 85mm f/1.8 USM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro, Helios 44-2 58mm f/2 (with EOS adapter), 430EX, Canon S90
    Nikon FE - Nikkor 35mm f/2 AI'd, Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 AI, Nikkor 105mm f/2.5 AI, F to EF adapter, 2xVivitar 285, other lighting stuff
    Mamiya C220 - 80mm f/2.8

Gear List flickr

Cool Not a replacement

One thing I can assure you al is that "Rusty" is not "a replacement." I assure you, no dog could every replace my late dog. He truly was one of a kind. He had real "joy" in his eyes.

Name:  trakker.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  214.1 KB

"Rusty" is our attempt to keep the tradition of providing a great home and friends to a deserving dog. When I look into his eyes ...

Name:  Rusty-4.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  299.9 KB
    A850 w/ TAMRON SP AF 70-200mm f/2.8 Di LD
    @ 200mm - f/2.8 - 1/15 sec - ISO-400 - CWA - Mixed lighting w/ flash - M - Handheld - Subject dist: 3.5 feet

I think he knows that, but is still harboring a fear of change. He certainly has a long way to shift his mindset of kennel life ... to a full blown home and yard. Where it all eventually winds up ... only time will tell.

I know the "blasted" all-day & night rain is not helping with his training, that's for sure. He just keeps looking up at me, as if asking, "Uh ... why are we out in this?"
    Last edited by DonSchap; 10-09-2009 at 07:40 PM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Rescue a Rescue

I hear you Don. August 2008 saw the passing of our dog Molly.
    Name:  2008_03300114AW.jpg
Views: 98
Size:  170.6 KB
    Fuji Finepix 5200

She was 14 going on 15. We got her from the pound when she was about 2 and after she had been found dumpster diving in a park trying to feed a litter of puppies. Nothing quite like a dog that does not run away, goes to the bathroom on command, and is smart enough to wake you up before there's an accident during the night.

We went about 6-months before deciding to adopt another rescue dog.
    Name:  DSC02790W.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  408.5 KB
    Izzy does not seem to be as smart as Molly, but she's only about 1 and has proven to be a quick learner. No luck in the wake-you up before there's an accident during the night department, but she's still learning.
    Darin Wessel
    α 900
    Zooms: Tamron SP AF70-200mm f2.8 Di LD Macro; Sigma 28-90mm D macro, Konica-Minolta 18-70 f3.5-5.6
    Primes: Minolta 28mm f2.8; Sony 50mm f1.4
    Minolta RC-1000 remote commander

Film:
    Calumet Cambo CC400 4x5 View Camera
    YashikaMat 6x6 TLR (other accessories)
    Minolta Maxxum 7000 w/ Minolta 35-80mm f/4-5.6 & Minolta 2800 flash
    Minolta Maxxum 5000i & Vivitar 728 AFM flash
    What's next???

Question What have I gotten myself into?

Tonight I found out that "Rusty" might have epilepsy. I found him in a seizure, around 1AM, after a particularly intense day involving new people and issues around the house. As he slept at the foot of my bed, I awoke to a terrific racket and found him in an uncontrolled spasm ... foaming at the mouth and completely stretched from end-to-end, as if in a dead run.

He was given a rabies vaccination on Thursday, so who knows? A reaction of some kind? I know one thing, he was a mess when he came out of it ... and it took a good ten minutes for him to become ... "normal"?

I have never had a dog with a problem of this nature ... so I am wondering what the future might be. My "SO" related a tale about a dog her family had, that also suffered from seizures, medication did not help and the dog became fierce and enraged after it came out of them. The decision was made to put the dog down ... for fear of someone getting hurt by it. "Rusty" just seemed quite confused and scared, as he re-established himself. It was almost like watching a computer go through a reboot.

Obviously, some serious questions need to be asked and answered. Name:  I have to ask.gif
Views: 86
Size:  2.6 KB

I will also watch for further signs of problems.
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...

Wow I am really sorry to hear that Don. I lived with my Sister for a while in the mid 90s and they had a dog (Boris) that was diagnosed as having Epilepsy:

I awoke to the same kind of racket you are describing, Boris was in his crate thrashing at the walls and completely incoherent. He came out of it slowly like his system was re- booting and he was actually blind for about 2 or 3 minutes. I sat there holding him and talking to him as he came out of it. That dog and I bonded really strongly after that incident. I was his absolute favorite, even years after I moved out, he would single me out and snuggle up with me when I visited. He had probably a dozen or so of these seizures, over the course of a couple of weeks, sometimes swaying and dropping in mid stride. It was horribly stressful. He never went into his crate again.

He was taken to the Vet and diagnosed with Epilepsy. He was prescribed Phenol-barbital. We hated it, he hated it. Finally after seeing him lope around the house in a haze for about a week, he slipped out the front door and ran away. We searched and searched, even saw him a couple of times and gave chase. We never caught him. We left food and water out for him, sometimes it was gone sometimes not.

About 3 weeks after he ran, one night, we were all watching TV and my Brother in Law went out on the porch for a smoke. There was Boris in the front yard my BIL said "Hey Boris" and he walked right in through the front door without provocation, and other than stinking a little bit it was like he'd never left. We never gave him the Phenol-Barbital again, he never seized again as far as I know. Boris is gone now, but his "Epilepsy" never recurred except for that first couple of weeks.
    Last edited by TenD; 10-18-2009 at 04:14 AM.
    A good photograph is knowing where to stand.
    Ansel Adams

Rule books are paper, they will not cushion a sudden meeting of stone and metal.
    Ernest K. Gann-Fate is the Hunter.

Quote Originally Posted by DonSchap View Post
    Tonight I found out that "Rusty" might have epilepsy. I found him in a seizure, around 1AM, after a particularly intense day involving new people and issues around the house. As he slept at the foot of my bed, I awoke to a terrific racket and found him in an uncontrolled spasm ... foaming at the mouth and completely stretched from end-to-end, as if in a dead run.

He was given a rabies vaccination on Thursday, so who knows? A reaction of some kind? I know one thing, he was a mess when he came out of it ... and it took a good ten minutes for him to become ... "normal"?

I have never had a dog with a problem of this nature ... so I am wondering what the future might be. My "SO" related a tale about a dog her family had, that also suffered from seizures, medication did not help and the dog became fierce and enraged after it came out of them. The decision was made to put the dog down ... for fear of someone getting hurt by it. "Rusty" just seemed quite confused and scared, as he re-established himself. It was almost like watching a computer go through a reboot.

Obviously, some serious questions need to be asked and answered. Name:  I have to ask.gif
Views: 86
Size:  2.6 KB

I will also watch for further signs of problems.
    I had a Siberian Husky with seizure problems. She would have the same issues you are describing, foaming at the mouth, body/legs fully extended, eyes glazed over. The medication didn't help her and she would have these issues two or three times a month. It didn't seem to affect her demeanor but it did have a serious effect on her senses. About a year before we had to put her down she was walking into things, she couldn't smell a treat an inch away from her nose. We finally had to put her to sleep because her hips were getting really bad. You could tell she was constantly in pain. We got her when she was 5 knowing full well that she may not live that long with her seizure problem. She made it to 12.
    -Paul-
    Canon 7D - Canon 17-55 IS USM - Canon 70-200mm f/4 IS - Canon 50mm f/1.8 - Sigma 30mm f/1.4 - Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6 - Canon 430EX II Speedlite

Molly had something similar happen to her. After the seizure, her body drooped to one side and to the extent she could stand and walk it was in a circle ... she couldn't walk a straight line. We thought for sure she had a stroke or something similar. We feared the worse.

Our vet friend who used to work at UC Davis Vet school chalked it up to an inner ear imbalance that affects many dogs at almost any stage of life, appears to have immediate onset, mimics a seizure or stroke and self corrects within minutes to days. If it's a particularly bad episode, some dogs have the lingering effect of carrying their head at a slight angle but otherwise function fine. Apparently, dogs do not have strokes like humans but some vets (due to either ignorance or unscrupulousness) misdiagnose the problem and recommend expensive treatments for a condition that is untreatable and self-corrects.

I have to admit though, there was no foaming at the mouth. Molly though was never a big slobberer or drooler.
    Darin Wessel
    α 900
    Zooms: Tamron SP AF70-200mm f2.8 Di LD Macro; Sigma 28-90mm D macro, Konica-Minolta 18-70 f3.5-5.6
    Primes: Minolta 28mm f2.8; Sony 50mm f1.4
    Minolta RC-1000 remote commander

Film:
    Calumet Cambo CC400 4x5 View Camera
    YashikaMat 6x6 TLR (other accessories)
    Minolta Maxxum 7000 w/ Minolta 35-80mm f/4-5.6 & Minolta 2800 flash
    Minolta Maxxum 5000i & Vivitar 728 AFM flash
    What's next???

Lightbulb Home away from home

Well, nothing further throughout the night. "Rusty" has been affectionate, as always, and stays close, so I know where he is at all times.

I appreciate the comments and experiences you folks have shared. I will be contacting the vet to see what insight he may have to contribute. There has been a lot going on in the past few days, as my "SO" returned from a long trip and we are trying to get things done around the house. So, it is definitely not quiet. I plan on altering the dog's interaction, though, and finding ways to leave him at home, when I go out for errands. The weather should help. as the rain has stopped ... and I may explore the idea of him inhabiting the dog house we have out back. My former friend was far too large to fit inside of it, when he grew up ... but this little guy ... will fit it nicely. That is ... if he cares to.

flickr & Sdi

Hope he is alright. Hate to see you go through the same thing with your new friend.

Frank
    Sony A77
    Sony A580
    Sony A 100
    Maxxum 400si.
    Sony 18-70 Kit Lens
    Minolta AF 35-70
    Minolta AF 50 f/1.7
    Tamron 70-300 f/4-5.6 Di LD
    Tamron 60mm Macro
    Tamron 17-50 f/2.8
    Tamron 2x Converter