Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by SONYNUT View Post
    My mistake, Sony uses TWO gyroscopes for movement detection and not one.
    E-510
    E-1
    Zuiko 14-54 F2.8-3.5 MkI
    Zuiko 70-300 F4.0-5.6
    Konica Hexanon 52mm F1.8
    Cullmann 2503
    Benro KS-0

do you know what old vaccum powered aircraft gyros used for an air filter..lol

Quote Originally Posted by SONYNUT View Post
    no matter what, it amounts to nothing when your subject moves...
    Do you know what, that's actually a preposterous statement and the same goes for the link you posted. I grant it may be true for you; if you have no use for anti shake then so be it, I have no quarrel with that, but you can't speak for others. In the 19th century, Luddites chose a similar negative stance rather than embracing technology.

I've never been confident in hand holding at less than 1/60th and when shooting film the costs precluded too many multiple exposures (thank God for digital). Advancing years meant that that confidence was eroded and 1/60th became 1/100th or 1/125th. Now with the A700 I'm happily back at 1/60th or less.

There are always those who will decry, for whatever reason, a technology as useless; to each their own I say and more power to my elbow.

OK, back to the "preposterous statement"; take this image that features a rapidly moving moving albeit inanimate (a contradiction in terms) subject. I'm up a mountain without a tripod looking at this terrific Waterfall (the Burgwasserfall at Bad Rippoldsau), there's no handy tree to lean against so all I can do is sit on a wet moss covered rock, pull my elbows in, take deep breath and hope for the best (Oh, nearly forgot, switch on the antishake).

A700,,33mm lens,,ISO200,,f11,,0.4sec
    Name:  Burgwasserfall.jpg
Views: 111
Size:  1.31 MB
    OK, it may not be razor sharp but it captured the moment for us and I'm certain that the antishake made a huge contribution, and no, 1/30th at f3.2 was not an option for this shot, even with a tripod.

Here's another example where a moving (not in the usual sense) subject is made possible for me by the technology.
    A700,,45mm lens,,ISO200,,f4,,1/10th sec
    Name:  Evangelische Stadtkirche Peter Und Paul in Calw.jpg
Views: 117
Size:  670.5 KB
    Evangelische Stadtkirche Peter Und Paul in Calw

Yes, I could have turned off the antishake and used 1/80th at ISO1600, but why would I?

Quote Originally Posted by Peekayoh View Post

There are always those who will decry, for whatever reason, a technology as useless; to each their own I say and more power to my elbow.
    there's no need to be melodramatic about things peter. no one, and i mean NO ONE in their right minds would decry any form of IS. i mean why would you ? HOW could you ? it makes no sense.

the essence of what most people say about IS is that it is useful within certain limitations. that's all. anyone who says anything else is talking nonsense.

it also depends on who you talk to, don makes stupid statements about SSS so it leads people to bite and put him into place.

OK, back to the "preposterous statement"; take this image that features a rapidly moving moving albeit inanimate (a contradiction in terms) subject. I'm up a mountain without a tripod looking at this terrific Waterfall (the Burgwasserfall at Bad Rippoldsau), there's no handy tree to lean against so all I can do is sit on a wet moss covered rock, pull my elbows in, take deep breath and hope for the best (Oh, nearly forgot, switch on the antishake).

A700,,33mm lens,,ISO200,,f11,,0.4sec
    PERFECT example of how useful IS can be.

Here's another example where a moving (not in the usual sense) subject is made possible for me by the technology.
    A700,,45mm lens,,ISO200,,f4,,1/10th sec
    Name:  Evangelische Stadtkirche Peter Und Paul in Calw.jpg
Views: 117
Size:  670.5 KB
    Evangelische Stadtkirche Peter Und Paul in Calw

Yes, I could have turned off the antishake and used 1/80th at ISO1600, but why would I?
    well, a not so perfect example. 45mm ? flat object ? f2.8, iso400 1/40s would be plenty. or f4, iso800, 1/40. hell, with a shot like that under such bright light you could even go to iso1600 and get bugger all noise.

like i said, i'm not trying to say IS is bad. all i'm saying is that it is what it is and the usefulness of it is more often than not, grossly overrated. i think in the 10s of 1000's of shots i;ve taken with the 105VR, i've probably engaged VR 5% of the time. if that.
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

Was I a bit over the top, Rooz. Yea, maybe, I just don't see why Antishake gets the bad press in some quarters especially in the Sony camp. I mean, I can see why someone might choose a non VR lens in preference to the VR version saying that, for them, the feature is less useful than the cash saved. But if it comes free with the camera, what's not to like.

I sort of agree with your comment on the second image (I should have taken the time to locate a better example) and I should have taken the shot at ISO400. Being more used to film I tend to forget I can change ISo at will rather than changing the roll. Having said that, the lens is max f4 so 2.8 was out the window and like I said 1/40th is difficult for me to hold. Add that to the fact that I was lagging behind (as usual) and in a bit of a hurry, I just know that the AS helped me out.

Wink Just being a "tool"

Well, all that being said, "IS is better than sliced bread" to the photographer.

Like anything ... it is a "tool" to be used ... and, of course, like all tools, they usually have limitations. I know one thing for sure, I'd rather have the tool than not. Yes, I agree that you can misuse tools, also, or not use them to their peek performance. Still, it is extremely hard to misuse what you DO NOT HAVE.

Having IS in the camera body ... in convenience and confidence ... far out weighs not having it. You walk into situations "knowing" you are as ready to figure your optic solution as possible, instead of saying to yourself, "Aw, **** (<- your favorite one) ... I wish I had IS right now." With a SONY DSLR (any of them) YOU DO! So quit the cursing.

Anyway, back to our regularly scheduled argument.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 10-12-2009 at 09:25 AM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr® & Sdi

Thumbs up Mounted and ... looks good

Well ... as hoped, the Rokinon (SamYang) MF 85mm f/1.4 arrived, today.

Name:  Rokinon-85f14+a850.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  274.6 KB

It is a beefy piece of glass, just like the CZ 85mm f/1.4. Fit right on, locked ... tracked to a smooth-looking image, with the help of the "M" focusing screen. Yes, it's certainly not as "fast focusing" as an AF ... seeings that it is on the photographer to focus, but the manual aperture does offer immediate feedback as to type of DOF you have, without having to use the camera's "optical preview" function.

So ... time to go shoot something before the weather really tanks.
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr® & Sdi

so it it full manaul aperature?

does it have the ap arm like the vivitar or no?

if it does then what does it do?

Test Shot ...

It is full MANUAL aperture, that is precisely why you DO NOT NEED the optical preview. If you look at the rear of the lens, you can see all the aperture settings in white, from 1.4 thru 22. As you turn the ring, it instantly tightens the aperture. Best use:
    1. Choose ISO
    2. If you can, focus at f/1.4 or f/2 to find you CoF (Center of Focus) {@85mm, you can actually and easily see the focal plane moving back and forth when you are this wide}
    3. Drop the aperture for desired DOF (Depth Of Field).
    4. Adjust speed for optimum meter ...

and release!

Here are a couple of shots, ALL handheld, with the first two @ f/1.4 and f/4, to demonstrate the bokeh and background blur.

f/1.4
    Name:  85mmf14-example-b-f14.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  166.9 KB

f/4
    Name:  85mmf14-example-a-f4.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  273.4 KB

These are only "resized" out of the α850

The next one was adjusted for exposure and size. Manual focus against a charging "Rusty" dog!

f/8
    Name:  85mmf14-example-c-f8.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  433.7 KB
    Last edited by DonSchap; 10-13-2009 at 01:33 PM.

flickr® & Sdi

so no tab on the back?