Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Seriously guys....I'm not sure why everyone is getting so worked up over everything that Don does or say!
    Can't we all just have a beer and laugh over it instead?
    Canon EOS 7D

flickr®
    FLUIDR

It is an amazing reaction, considering I haven't posted a shot for nearly two weeks.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr® & Sdi

Quote Originally Posted by Elisha82 View Post
    Seriously guys....I'm not sure why everyone is getting so worked up over everything that Don does or say!
    Can't we all just have a beer and laugh over it instead?
    beer summit?

Quote Originally Posted by DonSchap View Post
    It is an amazing reaction, considering I haven't posted a shot for nearly two weeks.
    seriously, post something then!
    flickr

Canon 7D - 5D | 550EX - 430EX II - (2) PW FlexTT5 | 24-105 f4L | 70-200 f2.8L IS | 100 f2.8L IS | 50 f1.8 II

I'm still waiting for you to show me what your 7D can do!
    Canon EOS 7D

flickr®
    FLUIDR

Quote Originally Posted by Elisha82 View Post
    I'm still waiting for you to show me what your 7D can do!
    I put two up yesterday. Gimme a sec. I've been so busy.

I have a library full of shots from yesterday. I'll get it up and email it you to in a few min.

http://www.dr4gon.net/component/cont...e-24-105mm-f4l
    Last edited by dr4gon; 10-08-2009 at 06:56 PM.
    flickr

Canon 7D - 5D | 550EX - 430EX II - (2) PW FlexTT5 | 24-105 f4L | 70-200 f2.8L IS | 100 f2.8L IS | 50 f1.8 II

Hurry it up.....local shop here can do me the 7D for $1950 but then i have to add another 13% tax on top of that which sucks!
    Canon EOS 7D

flickr®
    FLUIDR

The 85mm, is a "PRIME" lens ... which most people set up for a specific framing distance and then take the shot.
    BS.

Don't believe me? Then go down the lists of gear on the Canon POTN website and just see how many people, who have been at this awhile, have "strapped" pr limited themselves with only a couple lenses. Yeah, right.
    how many of them have several focal lengths duplicated, triplicated, quadruplicated ? answer: not many. why ? cos its stupid.
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

Do I enjoy having the selection ... yeah, it is cool, to be able to turn around and select a specific 'brush' to paint with ... rather than relying on the capability of three or four primary lenses. Don't believe me? Then go down the lists of gear on the Canon POTN website and just see how many people, who have been at this awhile, have "strapped" pr limited themselves with only a couple lenses. Yeah, right.
    So, "everyone else is wrong and I'm right"?
    E-510
    E-1
    Zuiko 14-54 F2.8-3.5 MkI
    Zuiko 70-300 F4.0-5.6
    Konica Hexanon 52mm F1.8
    Cullmann 2503
    Benro KS-0

Quote Originally Posted by SONYNUT View Post
    vivitar has one too...

manual iris is a downside

thats why i opted for the zeiss
    Which Zeiss?

I'd have to say that, for a budget lens, the Rokinon doesn't look at all bad especially in the Bokeh department. Having said that, the lack of any electrical connection between the lens and camera means there is no focus confirmation (not too serious) but, crucially, no support for antishake; I'd have thought that the lack of antishake would have ruled it out, especially for you Don of all people. In addition, the lens works only in "stop down mode" which is a bit (a lot) of a pain and from what I've read it seems that the Rokanon is designed to deliver it's best (well not quite) performance wide open and the usual marked improvement as you stop down is not evident. I'm not necessarily saying this is a bad thing, it seems a reasonable compromise in a cheap lens which is likely to be used wide open anyway, but it is a consideration. BTW, on a FF camera the edge performance is markedly worse than on APS-C.

You all know my enthusiasm for old glass so this is not a derisive comment on MF lenses in general, I just think there are better alternatives especially when the given reason for buying a cheap lens is "because I like the challenge". For instance, a Jupiter-9 has the benefit of preset aperture control and coupled with a chipped adapter giving focus confirm plus full antishake would be half the cost of the Rokinon.

Nonetheless, the deed is done and I'm looking forward to seeing some results from this interesting lens.