Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising
 
 
 
   
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 99
  1. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Monmouthshire, UK
    Posts
    2,152
    Quote Originally Posted by DonSchap View Post
    Yeah ... you're right ... because I like the challenge of seeing what it can do. What is it really capable of? Any goofball can buy the most expensive glass on the planet. Your economic "$kill" is unparalleled, Mate!
    I can hardly believe you said that; I've got nothing against a cheap lens when funds are limited but that's not even remotely true in your case.
    If you really believe what you said you'd be happily producing some photo gems with the much maligned kit lens.

    On a happier note, this chap ( http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8293 ) did a side by side against the Summilux 80mm/f1.4 which, although I've never owned a Leica, I believe is a well regarded lens.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    1,760
    THE FACE OF THE BABY IN THE BOTTOM PIC

    ''OK YOU ARE REALY STARTING TO FREAK ME OUT"
    http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8293

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    1,760
    Without looking at anything shiny you may never notice it but as you see here from those pics..the shine from the cabinet edge..rokinon (FIRST) pic vs the other..



    Quote Originally Posted by peekayoh View Post
    i can hardly believe you said that; i've got nothing against a cheap lens when funds are limited but that's not even remotely true in your case.
    If you really believe what you said you'd be happily producing some photo gems with the much maligned kit lens.

    On a happier note, this chap ( http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8293 ) did a side by side against the summilux 80mm/f1.4 which, although i've never owned a leica, i believe is a well regarded lens.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Monmouthshire, UK
    Posts
    2,152
    Who's Freakin whom?

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    2,204
    flickr

    Canon 7D - 5D | 550EX - 430EX II - (2) PW FlexTT5 | 24-105 f4L | 70-200 f2.8L IS | 100 f2.8L IS | 50 f1.8 II

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Des Plaines, IL
    Posts
    9,560

    Question Can you afford ... everything?

    Quote Originally Posted by dr4gon View Post
    It's coming up "Page not found!"

    Look ... I like first hand knowledge, when I can get it. Like I said, I seen many of these favorable reviews and for a mere $250 ... what the heck? Maybe I can test it and provide some insight to another photographer concerning making the decision.

    Advice: "Excuse me ... I recommend we all buy the SONY CZ 85mm f/1.4, because for $1498 we are going to get the best darn image you can purchase. It will only be $14.98 a shot, for the first 100 shots, then ... it'll progressively drop."

    Guys ... this is a hobby. I do NOT make a flipping dime off it ... and I have been giving things away to try and promote it. How many of you can say the same thing? C'mon ... line up and take a number! This is supposed to be fun ... and THIS is how I make fun, for me. I also spend money for other fun things, too, like RVs, hot tubs, toys of all kinds, trips ... you name it.



    If I drop all the loot buying overpriced glass ...
    well, there won't be any of the other things.
    No more toys! and that's a real bad thing!

    I was weighing the price of Zeiss optics when I was walking through one of those Home Development stores, the other day ... you can get a whole bunch of really nice tools for $1500-2000. So, I would say that you would have to be fiercely dedicated to your hobby to justify all high-end glass. Professionals are a whole different argument.

    Of course, then there are all those model RC aircraft hobbyists ... who face the ultimate rush: the eventual and absolute destruction of their hobby's object. Because it is not "Will it crash?", but ... "WHEN?" and "How spectacular it will be?"

    Name:  RC love.jpg
Views: 119
Size:  50.4 KB

    And that "bottomless wallet" feeling that ensues ...

    If I find myself NEEDING the CZ ... it'll come. Just not right now. I'll have to limp along with perfection in my CZ 135mm f/1.8. "Sorry" <- Note: apology made.

    Now, back to exploring ... and 'Rooz", go shoot your 300 and come up with something outrageous!
    Last edited by DonSchap; 10-07-2009 at 09:48 AM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

    flickr® & Sdi

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    1,760
    i read this SOMEWHERE.....

    (Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography. Refrain from "INTRO" lenses.)

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    God's Country - Australia
    Posts
    10,424
    Quote Originally Posted by DonSchap View Post
    It's coming up "Page not found!"

    Look ... I like first hand knowledge, when I can get it. Like I said, I seen many of these favorable reviews and for a mere $250 ... what the heck? Maybe I can test it and provide some insight to another photographer concerning making the decision.

    Advice: "Excuse me ... I recommend we all buy the SONY CZ 85mm f/1.4, because for $1498 we are going to get the best darn image you can purchase. It will only be $14.98 a shot, for the first 100 shots, then ... it'll progressively drop."

    Guys ... this is a hobby. I do NOT make a flipping dime off it ... and I have been giving things away to try and promote it. How many of you can say the same thing? C'mon ... line up and take a number! This is supposed to be fun ... and THIS is how I make fun, for me. I also spend money for other fun things, too, like RVs, hot tubs, toys of all kinds, trips ... you name it.



    If I drop all the loot buying overpriced glass ...
    well, there won't be any of the other things.
    No more toys! and that's a real bad thing!

    I was weighing the price of Zeiss optics when I was walking through one of those Home Development stores, the other day ... you can get a whole bunch of really nice tools for $1500-2000. So, I would say that you would have to be fiercely dedicated to your hobby to justify all high-end glass. Professionals are a whole different argument.

    Of course, then there are all those model RC aircraft hobbyists ... who face the ultimate rush: the eventual and absolute destruction of their hobby's object. Because it is not "Will it crash?", but ... "WHEN?" and "How spectacular it will be?"

    And that "bottomless wallet" feeling that ensues ...

    If I find myself NEEDING the CZ ... it'll come. Just not right now. I'll have to limp along with perfection in my CZ 135mm f/1.8. "Sorry" <- Note: apology made.
    dont convolute things by heading off on some tangent.
    you're reasoning behind not buying great glass has been cost. this is clearly a nonsense cos you SPEND the same money but you buy a whole bunch of crap things instead of 1 GREAT thing. so COST is not the issue.

    your argument would sit alot better with me, (and with EVERYONE ELSE), if you just said you enjoy collecting glass. THAT is an argument i can accept. each to their own and if you get off on having 10 lens' of average - poor quality over having 1 lens of exceptional quality then so be it...i'm not here to judge what someone does or doesnt get enjoyment from.

    but you DONT say that. you confuse the issues by making stupid statements about it being a cost factor but then spend the money ANYWAY. so its NOT a cost issue at all.

    you also say continuously...

    Quote Originally Posted by SONYNUT View Post

    (Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography. Refrain from "INTRO" lenses.)
    but you again contradict that all the time by investing in sub standard optics.

    all i'm asking of you is to be consistent.

    Now, back to exploring ... and 'Rooz", go shoot your 300 and come up with something outrageous!
    anytime you want to see samples of real things from that superb piece of glass just ask Don. i wont have 100% crops of things lying around the house. what i will have anytime you ask is real world examples of how wonderfully the lens performs.
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Des Plaines, IL
    Posts
    9,560
    Again ... you have missed my point (as usual). I want "the experience" of this South Korean entry into the arena. I'm not entering contests, 'Rooz'. I would like to see how it works, what the short falls are ... and, again, for the 100 and umpteenth time ... if I NEED the CZ 85mm f/1.4 ... I will buy it, and not a day BEFORE!

    Do me a really nice favor, here, huh? Please copy this post and tuck it in your wallet for future reference ... if you feel the need to comment on what I do ... just read it, first ... and do not darken MY proposed glass purchases, again, Mister Nikon. Frankly, I'm not interested. I grew up a long time ago ... have weighed the ideas ... and stopped asking permission. When you begin funding the "DonSchap Glass Menagerie", then you may have a chance at having some say ... until that happens ... and you have my invitation at the bottom of my GEAR LIST ... thanks, but no thanks.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

    flickr® & Sdi

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    God's Country - Australia
    Posts
    10,424
    no, i didnt miss the point at all. i'm calling you out on your flawed logic and hypocrisy and you dont like it when people do that.

    of note here is that i'm not the only one saying it yet you direct all of your comments to me. why is that i wonder ? just cos i shoot a nikon camera ? that's preposterous. the system you choose to shoot with has NO bearing on the principals of optical performance. the only difference is the MOUNT which has nothing to do with the result.

    you can try a $250 lens and a 3x t/c all you like. by all means do what you have to do. but those of us intelligent enuf to understand glass know what the result will be.

    like i said, just say your a glass collector and everyone will be happy cos it makes sense. but dont try and justify your decisions with all these nonsense arguments that just confuse the crap out of people who may not have been in the game long enuf to sift thru your diatribe to get to the truth.
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •