Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Unhappy That's Entertainment?

It has NOTHING to do with my glass (which I am pretty content with, by the way). I just wanted to compare the cost of medium-format costs versus what is consider in most circles as "top-drawer" 35mm-format glass. I think I made the point ... and you, as usual, missed it. It may just be the Equator ... something apparently is flipping your thinking, 'Rooz', so I am no longer going to address your continued berating of my lens bag. It just is not having any value other than your own entertainment. Fine, be entertained.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 10-15-2009 at 11:26 PM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr® & Sdi

if it quacks like a duck..why not eat it.

Quote Originally Posted by DonSchap View Post
    It has NOTHING to do with my glass (which I am pretty content with, by the way). I just wanted to compare the cost of medium-format costs versus what is consider in most circles as "top-drawer" 35mm-format glass. I think I made the point ... and you, as usual, missed it. It may just be the Equator ... something apparently is flipping your thinking, 'Rooz', so I am no longer going to address your continued berating of my lens bag. It just is not having any value other than your own entertainment. Fine, be entertained.
    why do you keep singling me out for that when everyone else says the same thing ?
    D800e l V1 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l EP5 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

everyone?...

Quote Originally Posted by DonSchap View Post
    'Rooz', so I am no longer going to address your continued berating of my lens bag. It just is not having any value other than your own entertainment. Fine, be entertained.
    I dunno, I'm pretty entertained as well.

Quote Originally Posted by SONYNUT View Post
    everyone?...
    A not small number of people have wandered in and commented on Don's... odd choice of lenses through various threads.
    E-510
    E-1
    Zuiko 14-54 F2.8-3.5 MkI
    Zuiko 70-300 F4.0-5.6
    Konica Hexanon 52mm F1.8
    Cullmann 2503
    Benro KS-0

Question No comment?

I need to stress that you are free to comment on anything ... and the best part of it all is that it all falls under "opinion." While I am also free to evaluate these opinions, I am also free to do as I wish.

I have tried, in the past, to offer as much information concerning these options as I felt was necessary. If you had the inclination to disagree, you were more than free to do so. Regardless, I am enjoying myself ... and responsibly trying to keep my costs under control based on attempts with older or newer designs.

So, my "odd" choices are my own, for whatever reason. Welcome to my world.

Discussion is healthy, as always.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 10-16-2009 at 12:30 PM.
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr® & Sdi

Saw one today..glad i got the zeiss

Me too ...

flickr® & Sdi

Cool Crippled A-mode

One of the sweet things about the α700 over the α850/α900 is the menu selection that lets you ignore the lens being attached ("Release w/o lens ... enable"). While this may not seem important in common usage, it has an underlying secret aspect about it.

Manual lenses do not provide any electronic data to the camera concerning aperture setting (there are no electrical contacts on the lens). But, the α700 camera's metering works just dandy. So what you do is place the a700 in "A" mode and select your aperture via the lens' aperture ring. When you half press the shutter release, the DSLR's metering goes active and will calculate the Shutter Speed necessary to provide the proper calculated exposure for the amount of light and the selected ISO you have dialed in, without ever "knowing" the aperture. Cool, huh?

Unfortunately, you cannot do this with an α850/ α900 Full Frame camera. In A-Mode, w/o electronic aperture information, the Full Frame DSLR simply says there is "no lens attached" and that ends the discussion. It is the MANUAL Mode setting or nada. I also kind of doubt this functionality will be available with the new α7xx DSLR. When the current α700 bids us all goodbye, the automatic shutter speed capability (crippled A-mode) for manual lenses bites the dust, too. It was a nice work-around for non-electronic capable lenses.

It is a perfect-fit solution for the 8mm f/3.5 "Fisheye" and 85mm f/1.4 lenses by Samyang (under various brands). I also have a few Adaptall 2 TAMRON MF lenses ... which paired up nicely.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 11-22-2009 at 08:03 PM.

flickr® & Sdi