Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by DonSchap View Post
    Again ... you have missed my point (as usual). I want "the experience" of this South Korean entry into the arena. I'm not entering contests, 'Rooz'. I would like to see how it works, what the short falls are ... and, again, for the 100 and umpteenth time ... if I NEED the CZ 85mm f/1.4 ... I will buy it, and not a day BEFORE!
    And presumably, when you do buy it, you'll take a piece of fine-grit sandpaper to the front element to make it look prettier.
    Or stick it on that Kenko teleconverter.

Same thing, right?
    E-510
    E-1
    Zuiko 14-54 F2.8-3.5 MkI
    Zuiko 70-300 F4.0-5.6
    Konica Hexanon 52mm F1.8
    Cullmann 2503
    Benro KS-0

http://www.dyxum.com/dforum/korean-m...opic47750.html is the correct link, can't believe I posted a broken link. fail.

But I like everyone else, can't understand why you would get this lens. But, whatever.
    flickr

Canon 7D - 5D | 550EX - 430EX II - (2) PW FlexTT5 | 24-105 f4L | 70-200 f2.8L IS | 100 f2.8L IS | 50 f1.8 II

Red face Just for the fork of it ...

Look ... stop ... I am not ponying up another $1000+ for anything else this year. Enough is enough. You guys can do it and my hat is off to you. I have heard things about this particular lens .. $250 won't kill me ... so it is a happening thing. If it works out ... believe me, you will know ... and so will I. The proof is in the pudding, as they say. Get a fork!
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr® & Sdi

20 lenses for $100 each costs the same as 2 lenses at $1000 each.
    Ouch.™

Look ... stop ... I am not ponying up another $1000+ for anything else this year. Enough is enough. You guys can do it and my hat is off to you. I have heard things about this particular lens .. $250 won't kill me ... so it is a happening thing. If it works out ... believe me, you will know ... and so will I. The proof is in the pudding, as they say. Get a fork!
    God, Don, I've got a grand total of three lenses, so don't whine about this crap. However, the two lenses I use most of the time (14-54 and 70-300) are both the best quality lenses in those ranges I could afford.

You don't need a ton of crappy glass. A few good pieces will do you, unless you're dedicated to building a fort in your basement somewhere with useless lenses.
    E-510
    E-1
    Zuiko 14-54 F2.8-3.5 MkI
    Zuiko 70-300 F4.0-5.6
    Konica Hexanon 52mm F1.8
    Cullmann 2503
    Benro KS-0

Look ... stop ... I am not ponying up another $1000+ for anything else this year. Enough is enough. You guys can do it and my hat is off to you.
    but you do spend it. this is what we are all saying to you Don but you are selectively choosing not to listen. you just spend it in smaller chunks.

whether you spend $1000 in one hit or spend $250 on 4 items, its still $1000.
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

Well, had the good Lord seen fit to drop $50,000 in my front lawn, I may have had an entiorely different approach to how I packed my lens bag. I have looked and looked ... but still, no big bag o' money!

I believe in the "SHOOT NOW, PAY LATER." approach ... because these pictures may never pass this way, again. But then again, with astronomical interest rates, they can pack the credit idea, too. Nah, I was manually focusing back BEFORE you were born, more than likely. I am no stranger to having a basic approach to photography. In fact, we probably all should ... because point & shoot still is a limited process.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 10-08-2009 at 12:07 PM.
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr® & Sdi

I can't justify Don's purchase, but I can say I've been shooting an old Canon AE-1 and Pentax ME Super and loving it. I think manual focus is pretty tricky on a modern low end slr without a manual focusing screen, but I bet on the FF with bigger VF it would be better. Too bad we can't flip a switch to get the split ring view back.

At any rate, it has helped me spend more time thinking about composition and getting the shot right the first time, in part because so much more effort and time is involved per shot, and film+processing means a lot more cost per shot. Kinda like running with weights so you can run better without. Except getting some good shots in the meantime.

Don, I'm not sure if I agree, but I bet you will have fun with it, and it isn't my business what you buy, unless you are complaining about not being able to afford the CZ glass. It looks to be a perfectly good lens if you have a bit more patience.
    Jason Hamilton
    Selective Frame

EOS 5D - Canon EF 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF 35 f/2, EF 50mm f/1.8 Mk II, EF 70-210 f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF 85mm f/1.8 USM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro, Helios 44-2 58mm f/2 (with EOS adapter), 430EX, Canon S90
    Nikon FE - Nikkor 35mm f/2 AI'd, Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 AI, Nikkor 105mm f/2.5 AI, F to EF adapter, 2xVivitar 285, other lighting stuff
    Mamiya C220 - 80mm f/2.8

Gear List flickr

Thumbs up Getting the point ... and a recommendation to new forum members

Jason,

You are astute enough to understand the exercise, for sure. I have found that manual lenses are perfectly fine for image making. If your eyes are in good enough shape and the light is sufficient (and if you have the help of a "focusing matte" in your viewfinder), you can easily equal what you get from autofocus algorithms.

The 85mm, is a "PRIME" lens ... which most people set up for a specific framing distance and then take the shot. Unlike the zoom lenses, where variables are the name of the game, this type of lens is more defined.

Personally, I am not anticipating any real difficulty in creating excellent shots unless the glass is just poor to begin with. That remains to be seen, by me, personally, but as Ryan's contributions have revealed ... some people are getting excellent results from it.

Do I enjoy having the selection ... yeah, it is cool, to be able to turn around and select a specific 'brush' to paint with ... rather than relying on the capability of three or four primary lenses. Don't believe me? Then go down the lists of gear on the Canon POTN website and just see how many people, who have been at this awhile, have "strapped" pr limited themselves with only a couple lenses. Yeah, right.

Anyway ... enjoy the variety while it lasts. SONY, Canon & Nikon, I would imagine, would love nothing more than to have you limit your purchases to just their produced offerings. Once that happens, watch the prices, too. With only themselves to compete with ... the word "MONOPOLY" becomes the most important aspect to your photography. Then, my friends, you really will only have three lenses to choose from and they will cost a small mint.

BTW: For those of you who may be new to photography and are reading this pointless exchange of ideas ... there are some excellent references which will provide you with a terrific understanding of Exposure, when you shoot.

Understanding Exposure (<- Click here) I highly recommend you get a copy of this book, read it ... and begin to experiment with the various features of your DSLR. Honestly, this is a serious great step into the rest of your hobby.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 10-08-2009 at 03:31 PM.

flickr® & Sdi

Jason,

You are astute enough to understand the exercise, for sure. I have found that manual lenses are perfectly fine for image making. If your eyes are in good enough shape and the light is sufficient (and if you have the help of a "focusing matte" in your viewfinder), you can easily equal what you get from autofocus algorithms.
    Don, we're not idiots, stop speaking to us like we are.

There's nothing wrong with manual focus lenses.

You, however, buy REALLY CRAPPY manual focus lenses. This is the entirety of the point.
    E-510
    E-1
    Zuiko 14-54 F2.8-3.5 MkI
    Zuiko 70-300 F4.0-5.6
    Konica Hexanon 52mm F1.8
    Cullmann 2503
    Benro KS-0