Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Lightbulb Manual Focus alternatives (saving big bucks)

There is one recently released lens which offers amazing focal length and wide aperture. It is a manual focus lens, but offers itself as a good portrait lens, where you already know how far the object is away from the camera. That lens is the SamYang (Rokinon) MF 85mm f/1.4 ø72mm. The price of this piece is around $250, and when you balanced that up against a $1000 Minolta AF 85mm f/1.4 G or a $1400 SONY CZ 85mm f/1.4 … yeah, giving up autofocus saves some real cash.

Rokinon MF 85mm f/1.4
    Name:  Rokinon 85f14.jpg
Views: 354
Size:  17.3 KB

Well, after much consideration, I have decided to give this lens a try. I have read some of the favorable reviews and if I need AF … I can always punt with my TAMRON SP AF 90mm f/2.8 Di MACRO. What I am really interested in is that f/1.4 aperture, low light performance and the Depth of Field (DOF) that goes with it. It is a full two f/stops faster than the TAMRON, so what the hey?

Some quick distances reveal that on the a850 … the DOF:

@ 3 ft … is ½ inch (or half an eyeball)
    @ 6 ft … is 1-½ inch (front of face in focus)
    @ 10 ft … is 4 inches (half of head - nose tip to start of ear)
    @ 20 ft … is 1 foot 4 inches (entire body depth)
    @ 30 ft … is 3 feet 3 inches (Two-people close encounter)

Just something to keep in mind when using in low light. “Wide” does not mean “sharp.”

I have found the SamYang (Bower) MF 8mm f/3.5 (made by the same company) to be quite well made and have had no problems with it at all. Admittedly, manual focusing is a whole lot easier with a lens that short. Most of everything if in focus all the time as the DOF is nearly infinite, after eight feet.

Also, with the bottom dropping out of the dollar, this quarter ... I see prices going up even further. I would say, if you are going to ... "Get your glass, now." The prices got jacked last January 1st.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 10-06-2009 at 11:16 PM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr® & Sdi

vivitar has one too...

manual iris is a downside

thats why i opted for the zeiss
    Last edited by SONYNUT; 10-06-2009 at 10:43 PM.

Question What's in your wallet?

I reached in my wallet ... and I just could not find enough for the CZ ...

SONY CZ 85mm f/1.4

Name:  SAL85F14Z.jpg
Views: 260
Size:  63.6 KB

so I'll be turning the aperture dial on this alternate one.

Maybe you could do a side-by-side? That would be cool.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 10-06-2009 at 11:15 PM.
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr® & Sdi

I READ ABOUT A LOT OF FLARE AND Chromatic aberration WITH THE VIVITAR

Cool Chroma-shift

I have noticed that with my older manual TAMRON lenses, if you do not get the focus "dead nuts." Off one way or the other ... the CA shifts from:

Red (Front Focus) to
    Name:  front-focus.jpg
Views: 255
Size:  139.0 KB

Green (Rear Focus).
    Name:  rear-focus.jpg
Views: 251
Size:  125.7 KB

Funny thing ... when the focus is dead on ... it is kind of yellow or truly diminshed, at the highlights.
    Name:  best-focus.jpg
Views: 252
Size:  127.1 KB

The SONY CZ 135 mm f/1.8, at full aperture, also results in a chroma shift with front to back focus. I have posted the results a couple times, recently.

To wit:

f/1.8
    Name:  135-f18-text-CA.jpg
Views: 248
Size:  76.0 KB

f/4
    Name:  135-f4-text-CA.jpg
Views: 246
Size:  137.2 KB

f/8

Name:  135-f8-text-CA.jpg
Views: 245
Size:  159.7 KB
    Last edited by DonSchap; 10-06-2009 at 11:46 PM.

flickr® & Sdi

more wasted money...
    no wonder you cant afford good glass, you keep buying this crap. lol
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

Yeah ... you're right ... because I like the challenge of seeing what it can do. What is it really capable of? Any goofball can buy the most expensive glass on the planet. Your economic "$kill" is unparalleled, Mate!

flickr® & Sdi

The more it costs the more i charge...lol

Quote Originally Posted by DonSchap View Post
    Yeah ... you're right ... because I like the challenge of seeing what it can do. What is it really capable of? Any goofball can buy the most expensive glass on the planet. Your economic "$kill" is unparalleled, Mate!
    thats your reasoning ? lol
    i suggest you change your sig, glass quality is obviously irrelevant to you.
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

Besides it's only money
    Attached Images Attached Images