Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    So do you still like it??

How is it in dark situations?

I don't push it for dark situations, but I imagine I would have better luck with it than without it.

I apologize if that is not definite, but the typical low-light scenario is a combination of many things ...
    1. foremost, the quantity and type of light available
    2. base or selected aperture
    3. stabilized platform to support shutter speed selected
    4. manual, calculated focus distance or visual focus

Personally, shooting full frame, I have found the lens' calculated distance to be some of the most reliable, for gross calculation in MF. If the image looks a bit off, I tweak it with another couple of exposures by "walking" the focus plane back and forth, until it is sharp.

Does that add/subtract to the viability of the MANUAL FOCUSING SCREEN? Not really, because low-light disables AUTOFOCUS anyway, so it becomes a moot issue. Hopefully, having the MF Screen under such circumstances would offer some relief, but I do not count on it.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

does the 850 have a focus screen selection button.like the 900?

Quote Originally Posted by dr4gon View Post
    Really? The 50D doesn't have an option for a grid? I find that hard to believe. It has one of those LCDs overlayed on the VF. They could project anything they wanted.
    It doesn't have one. You would think such a simple and useful thing would be on all cameras.
    -Paul-
    Canon 7D - Canon 17-55 IS USM - Canon 70-200mm f/4 IS - Canon 50mm f/1.8 - Sigma 30mm f/1.4 - Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6 - Canon 430EX II Speedlite

Quote Originally Posted by SONYNUT View Post
    I grew up with it in all my srt 700 ect...hated it most of the time..spent most of your time looking for a pole..lol
    LOL... I've been shooting some pre-AF cameras lately and have developed a pretty good habit of finding a vertical line. It is a strange practice, but it works.
    Jason Hamilton
    Selective Frame

EOS 5D - Canon EF 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF 35 f/2, EF 50mm f/1.8 Mk II, EF 70-210 f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF 85mm f/1.8 USM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro, Helios 44-2 58mm f/2 (with EOS adapter), 430EX, Canon S90
    Nikon FE - Nikkor 35mm f/2 AI'd, Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 AI, Nikkor 105mm f/2.5 AI, F to EF adapter, 2xVivitar 285, other lighting stuff
    Mamiya C220 - 80mm f/2.8

Gear List flickr

http://support.sony-europe.com/dime/...GB&m=DSLR-A900

WHOLE LOT EASIER THAN THE OTHERS I HAVE SWAPPED
    Last edited by SONYNUT; 10-21-2009 at 08:23 PM.

Cool Proper installation

Installation is identical to the little instructional movie you linked.

Anyway, yeah, the proper screen has to be selected to avoid a metering error.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi