Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thumbs down Location, location, location ...

I tellya, the one lens that has me furious is my "China-made" SONY SAL-50F14.

The aperture is lagging, effectively leaving it WIDE OPEN during any aperture I set in the camera. Doesn't matter if it is on the A700 or the A850 ... same response ... retarded. If I use the "optical preview" ... on all my other lenses ... you press the button and get instantaneous response ... on the 50mm .... ... uh, now. That "uh" means wide open aperture for long enough that the image is overexposed, when the shutter release is pressed.

I sent it to Laredo for correction ... they sent it back ... "problem not found." Like I said ... most disappointing Obviously SONY is not going to be able to repair it for me. I guess it's off to United Camera & Binocular, tomorrow. Maybe ... a THIRD-PARTY can get it done! Sheesh!
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Red face Big lenses kick your butt ...

One thing I can relate to is going with heavier glass. I have a TAMRON Adaptall2 MF 200-500mm f/6.9 lens. That bad boy weighs a whopping 96 oz (6-lbs)! I mean, if you want to know why lightweight lenses are the better way to rock ... this one will teach you quick.

You certainly can not wear it around your neck, for significant chance of injury. A shoulder sling is about the only practical way to lug it, without a backpack. A sling bag would be torture of a new kind, if you could even get it in one. The lens is easily 16-inches long and all metal.

I know what you are thinking ... "Why in the **** would Don buy such a lens?"

"Well, I had this need of a boat anchor and ..." No ... I actually got it for all of $27! Honestly ... I did not yet own a far superior TAMRON SP AF 200-500mm f/5-6.3 Di LD (42oz), yet {this lens alone weighs more than the camera and the newer lens combined!}, and I had all the TAMRON Adaptall2 collars to make it work on ANY camera I had ... so, why not? It was a lot cheaper than anything else in that range, believe me. It shoots a dandy shot, when focused properly. And NO ... you do not want to use it with a ball tripod-mount. You risk losing a finger or two.

You are looking at 136 ounces of camera and manual lens!

Name:  200-500mmf69+a850.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  329.1 KB
    Last edited by DonSchap; 10-11-2009 at 01:06 PM.
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

that nothing

Thumbs down Weigh this!

Well ... I was just sayin' ... heavy is a ... well, you know.

You already know what happens when we start talking about telescopes ... man oh man ... get a truck mount.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 10-11-2009 at 01:09 PM.

flickr & Sdi

i tell ya..i love that m1 mount...it is balanced to a t..nothing to undo to move..just move it..the friction set is great.. i machined a little longer dovetail plate so my 600 is balanced perfectly..(just needed a 1/2 more due to the weight of the added grip and battery)

if you are trying to get a shot of birds in flight ect..it is great..
    i can even drop my c6 telecope on there if i wanted a 1500mm lens