Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Hybrid View

Batch cropping in Photoshop...

Is there any easy way to quickly crop 100 or so images to a 16:9 ratio on photoshop cs4... I obviously want to keep the width of my photos, but is there a quick way to do all of them?
    My flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/tk338/

Canon EOS 1000D/ Rebel XS
    18-55mm IS EFS
    ... And thats it for now

Probably can be done in CS4, but take a look at FastStone Image Resizer. Free and it will likely do what you want. You can specify aspect ratio on a crop and have it perform a batch run. Does some other handy functions as well.
    http://www.faststone.org/FSResizerDetail.htm
    Last edited by Mark_48; 10-01-2009 at 04:27 PM.

Thanks people... And thanks for being quick too! Much appreciated
    My flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/tk338/

Canon EOS 1000D/ Rebel XS
    18-55mm IS EFS
    ... And thats it for now

The problem with batch cropping is that you may inadvertantly cut out something that you didn't want to cut out. Make sure that your subject is not near the edge of the photo where you will be cutting.

Ray.

If you installed imagemagick you could do a lot more than resize using a batch file.

Example:
    Code:
    ::Turn of displaying the code on the screen
    @echo off

:: Read all the jpg images from the directory, resize them, add some text and save as a png in a different directory
    for %%f in (%1\*.jpg) do ( convert %%f -resize 200x200 -pointsize 18 -fill black ^
    -gravity northwest -annotate +0+0 "Some text" "%2\%%~nf.png" )
    Note: You could also automaticaly add some image information e.g. Date taken, aperture etc.

Code:
    :: Do not display the code while running
    @ECHO OFF

:: Select the F number from the EXIF data and set the FNumber variable
    FOR /F %%x IN ('identify -ping -format "%%[EXIF:FNumber]" %1') DO SET FNumber=%%x

:: Set the FNumber1 variable to the F number value
    :: Image Magick returns the F number in the format of 700/100 or 40/10
    FOR /F %%x IN ('convert xc: -ping -format "%%[fx:%FNumber%]" info:') DO SET FNumber1=%%x

:: Set the value of the shutter variable to the shutter speed
    :: Select the shutter speed from the EXIF data Image Magick returns the shutter speed in the format of 810/100 
    FOR /F %%x IN ('identify -ping -format "%%[EXIF:ShutterSpeedValue]" %1') DO SET shutter=%%x

:: Format the speed to 8.1 and set the speed variable
    FOR /F %%x IN ('convert xc: -ping -format "%%[fx:%shutter%]" info:') DO SET speed=%%x

:: Calculate the speed in seconds using the power of 2 and save it in the shutterspeed variable
    FOR /F %%x IN ('convert xc: -ping -format "%%[fx:floor((pow(2,%speed%)))]" info:') DO SET shutterspeed=%%x

:: Add the F number and shutter speed to the image and save as exif_OriginalImageName
    convert %INPUTFILE% ^
    -pointsize 16 -fill black -gravity northwest ^
    -annotate +10+5 "Aperture: F%FNumber1% Shutter speed: 1/%shutterspeed% sec" "%~p1EXIF_%~n1.jpg"
    Last edited by Anthony; 10-02-2009 at 07:55 AM. Reason: Added note

Just remembered this is a program I used to use - multiple image resizer

if you want to crop it to a size that is different from your original photo, what I did was I recorded actions in Photoshop, so basically you crop one photo while pressing record on the action and than do batch processing on the rest of the photos.