Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Good 52mm Lens Protector?

I purchased a cheapo $5 Tiffen 52mm UV Filter to protect my lenses, however I'm getting glare issues when taking pictures that have a lighted object in them.

As you can see above the flame reflects/glares onto another part of the photo, this has also happened with picture that had spotlights or car lights, etc. So my question is, can anyone recommend a lens protector that won't do this? Thanks.

The more glass you introduce the potential for problems increases. I would skip the UV altogether, keep the lens cap on when not shooting and perhaps get a lens hood.

I'm part of the other school of thought and always keep a UV on, execpt on my 50 1.8 because its such a cheap lens, a good uv would cost more about half of the lens itself.

That being said, i usually don't buy the cheapest UV because you get problems like what you have, i don't go for the most expensive either tho, a good Hoya/B&W will do the job really.

Tiffen is on the lower end, so buying something cheap from them is pretty low on the quality scale.
    Hey! Look its a shiny link! Click it!
    CasePhoto.ca

Don't click this one, no seriously... Don't!
    The Mandatory Blog

It's not the filter's job to completely eliminate lens glares and flares. A cheap filter might cause lots of flare though.
    However, if you point your camera at a strong source of light you tend to get flares, whether you have a filter or not.
    Nikon D90, D80
    Nikkor 16-85mm AF-S DX F/3.5-5.6G ED VR, Tamron SP AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) macro, Nikkor 50mm F/1.4D, Nikkor 50mm F/1.8D, Nikkor AF-S VR 70-300mm F/4.5-5.6G IF-ED, Sigma 105mm F/2.8 EX DG Macro ||| 2x SB800 | SB600 ||| Manfrotto 190XB

If you must fit a "protection" filter when you have bright light in, or just outside, the frame, a good quality filter such as a Hoya Pro1 will have better coatings, which will help to reduce flare.

Personally, I don't use filters for protection unless I'm shooting somewhere with extreme risk, e.g. on a beach with wind blown sand and spray. Then I take account of the increased risk of flare in my composition.