Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Formerly South Wales. Now South Carolina.
    I like the idea of self-hosting. I could at a pinch do it now. I just don't want to be bothered though.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonzo View Post
    The problem with solar power is storing the energy; are you going to have a room full of expensive batteries or perhaps pump the water up to a tank on your roof when you have spare power during the day. You can then open a valve and let the water down at night to drive a turbine.
    It depends largely on what quantity of power we're talking about for a simple PC, with the monitor not plugged in (no need for a Linux box). Depending on how the power supply is set up, there might be no need for an inverter. I would suspect that a couple of cheap car batteries would do the biz. Harbor Freight has the ideal solar panel. A friend in France used it to power his entire living accommodation for years - best thing is it folds up like a suitcase.

$100 a year to let someone else do it sounds better to me. I have enough crap cluttering up my house. Plus, if something goes wrong, THEY can take care of it.
    Ouch.

Quote Originally Posted by cdifoto View Post
    $100 a year to let someone else do it sounds better to me. I have enough crap cluttering up my house. Plus, if something goes wrong, THEY can take care of it.
    Lol. That's true but with absolute control, you can do anything. No limits on power. Even an elderly laptop would be great as a web server.

Oh well, I just tried hostgator and it made a hell of a mess and that's about all. I'll have to wait a few hours for my DNS entries to be sorted out - back to what they should be. I'm glad that nasty little experience only cost me $10.

As far as mobile websites go, since my webhost isn't prepared to resolve the issue without loads of money and since mobile phones are incapable of handling even simple framed forwarding, I'm just abandoning the project. Too much fuss and bother for too little return.

you keep saying that websites and the internet are useless for your business so why are you persisting or even bothering with a site at all...let alone self web hosting.
    D800e l V1 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l EP5 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

Quote Originally Posted by Rooz View Post
    you keep saying that websites and the internet are useless for your business so why are you persisting or even bothering with a site at all...let alone self web hosting.
    I get suckered every now and again by people continuing to say "yes it all works if you do this". I try it and it never does work. Then after a while I forget what a pile of junk it all turned out to be and somebody else says "yes it works if you do this" and the cycle repeats. It's more a case of I want it to work but it never will. It's a bit like the fat lady that goes to the clothes shops and buys dresses 3 sizes too small. She hopes she'll fit into them but never will.

"Insanity", said Rudyard Kipling, "is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results".
    Adam
    -------------
    Canon 60D & lenses & flashes & stuff
    A bunch of cheap vintage film cameras

My Etsy store

Quote Originally Posted by AdamW View Post
    "Insanity", said Rudyard Kipling, "is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results".
    Lol. I'm waiting until November when I'll go for a Yellow Pages entry. Everybody here uses February Yellow pages so I reckon getting in about November should ensure I'm in the February edition. Until then I've been messing about trying this and that online junk and finding none of it actually works - unless you can call a stream of Nigerian scammers wanting pre-weeding honeymoon photos "working".

I read about SEO and my conclusion was that it was the last desperate attempt of a drowning man to clutch at straws - pretty much like I find websites are.

I have investigated advertising pretty thoroughly and I know what doesn't work and that is;
    1. Business cards - people pick them up, use them as notepaper and discard them.
    2. Television advertising - nobody pays any attention to TV adverts.
    3. Vehicle advertising - it gets a few calls but not enough to merit the cost of even the cheapest magnetic sign.
    4. Websites as adverts - these are a complete waste of time. People will go through the sites until they find a name they remember from having seen when they were out. As product catalogues - a different kettle of fish entirely.
    5. Street Spam. The name says it all - I laugh at the people that put illegal signs by the roads.
    6. Junkmail - the name says it all. It's junk, treated as junk and nobody will read it.
    7. Spam - what a waste of time since it all gets filtered anyway.

People will use a website to look at product catalogues. People like to look up businesses in the Yellow Pages as a Yellow Pages entry feels more like a solid business than somebody existing solely online. Word of mouth but they have to know where to look. Online only is not great. People won't remember websites and won't try again if they don't remember. People won't remember phone numbers either. They can remember a name and can look that up in the yellow pages.

I haven't used any of the spammy methods of advertising. People have tried to sell them to me though - just as one guy tried to sell me on radio advertising.

The other thing people look for is special offers, repeat offers and bargains. Discount coupons don't really work though unless you're a well-known larger business.

I spent about $600 on the Yellow Pages over 2 years, not including the cost of the landline itself. Worst decision of my life. One wedding booked from it (and only after they saw my website) and about 100 calls asking if I do film developing, film reel to vhs transfers, and/or camera repairs. One call was to ask for camera recommendations.

Pretty much all of my inquiries and bookings now arrive via the website. SEO works, Rhys. You haven't even tried it.
    Last edited by cdifoto; 09-30-2009 at 09:27 AM.
    Ouch.