Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Formerly South Wales. Now South Carolina.
    Quote Originally Posted by cdifoto View Post
    I spent about $600 on the Yellow Pages over 2 years, not including the cost of the landline itself. Worst decision of my life. One wedding booked from it (and only after they saw my website) and about 100 calls asking if I do film developing, film reel to vhs transfers, and/or camera repairs. One call was to ask for camera recommendations.
    It'll be interesting to compare notes.

I know what I have found doesn't work. My worst investment was TV advertising. I really thought that would work but clearly it did not. I didn't get a single phonecall or a single visit to my website despite quoting both in the advert.

I'm sticking with my websites as they are. People seem to like the images and are wowed by the high-speed stuff. I figure smack them with a wow image before they get to see the other stuff.

I looked at my SEO ratings and they didn't seem too bad. 52% and 58% for my .com and .mobi sites respectively (they have identical text). I get 84% for my PC fixing site and 66% for the base site.

Now that all tells me SEO ratings are a load of rubbish. For an 84% rated site, I'd expect lots of people phoning. The only people that phone having got the number from my pc repair website are sleazy toerags trying to sell stuff. This is easily identifiable as they call from out-of-state. Pretty much the same for calls to my photo number.

The world has a general dislike of spam, street spam and junk mail. This is why I don't link myself to any of the purveyors of it.

I've left flyers around local businesses - hairdressers etc. I see some pretty awful flyers from competitors there and know my stuff is of higher quality. Perhaps the worst I saw was a load of business cards that looked like cut down 6x4 prints. They looked exactly as if somebody had chopped a bunch of 6x4 prints in two with blunt scissors. Again, no calls. I know how many cards/flyers I leave in each place and when I return a month later I usually find them all still there.

The Yellow Pages seems, on that basis to be the most reasonable avenue to follow.

Good luck with that.
    Ouch.

Quote Originally Posted by cdifoto View Post
    Good luck with that.
    I've tried everything else except Yellow Pages and standing on the street corner in a short skirt!

Quote Originally Posted by Rhys View Post
    standing on the street corner in a short skirt!
    You should give that a go.
    Ouch.

Just because you try something, doesn't mean you did it right.

Your latest website is somewhat an improvement, though marginally, and im Really Really curious what your Tv Ad was about.

If all else fails, Location Location Location.
    Hey! Look its a shiny link! Click it!
    CasePhoto.ca

Don't click this one, no seriously... Don't!
    The Mandatory Blog

I'm done with the web. Completely done. I'm after traditional methods now.

From a brides perspective......

Weddings: what to look for in a photographer
    * In order to start gathering a list of potential photographers for your wedding day, instead of popping open the Yellow Pages and picking random photographers, ask around. Surely, some of your relatives and friends have been married in the same city and they will, more than likely, have recommendations of photographers to use and not to use. Compile your list from these referrals, as well as from photographers booths you attend at wedding fairs and photographers who advertise locally through the paper and websites.

Copied from http://www.essortment.com/lifestyle/...togra_shbf.htm

I'm not even sure what aspect of photography business you're truly focused on anymore, so if it's not weddings, ignore the above. A bride is pretty unlikely to hire a photographer if it appears his speciality is High Speed photography and does weddings as a sideline. From your website image categories each type of photography may merit it's own type of advertising/marketing. Some may work in the Yellow Pages, some may not work at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Csae View Post
    Your latest website is somewhat an improvement, though marginally, and im Really Really curious what your Tv Ad was about.
    Here ya go.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3adWLQ66Mqg
    Last edited by Mark_48; 09-30-2009 at 03:20 PM.

Hahaha, that was a good one.

That was quite interesting, but completely unrelated to any time of photography.

I know this might sound crazy, but how about showing a picture, or hell, if you're gonna go the crazy route, mind as well show more then one picture.
    Hey! Look its a shiny link! Click it!
    CasePhoto.ca

Don't click this one, no seriously... Don't!
    The Mandatory Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Rhys View Post
    I'm done with the web. Completely done. I'm after traditional methods now.
    Yeah, I know, all there is on the internet are 16 year old twits that don't have a clue what they're talking about, but make off that they do. But sometimes you gotta be open minded and least read what others might have to offer, you might just benefit from it. The author of the links below is fairly well known and seems to have done his homework on legal and business aspects of photography and is willing to share what he's learned. If you feel you already know it all and think that reading through the links below is a waste of time I'm certainly happy for you and wish you success, however slowly you may arrive there.

http://www.danheller.com/biz-marketing.html

http://www.danheller.com/photo-biz