Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thumbs up Less bounce for the buck!

If you have a dose of Alpha-mount lenses, upping yourself to an α700 from the α100 or α200 is a wise and clever choice. Non-SONY users (except for Samsung/Olympus and Pentax) cannot appreciate the wonderful convenience of anti-shake with EVERY lens, as the SONY crowd does.

Video is a novelty ... and anti-shake ... a realized asset. Just ask some Canon user whether or not they enjoy it in their ... larger zooms and PRIMEs. Just imagine how nice it might be in ... oh yeah, EVERYTHING!

Last edited by DonSchap; 09-26-2009 at 03:26 PM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Quote Originally Posted by DonSchap View Post
    If you have a dose of Alpha-mount lenses, upping yourself to an α700 from the α100 or α200 is a wise and clever choice. Non-SONY users (except for Samsung/Olympus and Pentax) cannot appreciate the wonderful convenience of anti-shake with EVERY lens, as the SONY crowd does.

Video is a novelty ... and anti-shake ... a realized asset. Just ask some Canon user whether or not they enjoy it in their ... larger zooms and PRIMEs. Just imagine how nice it might be in ... oh yeah, EVERYTHING!

Or videos using all your lenses....
    flickr

Canon 7D - 5D | 550EX - 430EX II - (2) PW FlexTT5 | 24-105 f4L | 70-200 f2.8L IS | 100 f2.8L IS | 50 f1.8 II

Quote Originally Posted by jekostas View Post
    What in the bloody hell are you talking about? Don SPECIFICALLY SAID IT WAS THE BEST. In fact, I'll quote it for you:

Or are you going to play a game of semantics and say "could not do better" does not equal "this is the best"?

I'm not saying the A700 isn't a good camera, but saying it's the best only if you can't compare it to any of the A700's price competition because they have features that Sony doesn't (including Live View, which Sony really trumpeted and was available on many other cameras at that point) is garbage.

Double talk, indeed.
    Please READ SLOWLY. He said "could not do MUCH better than this", not "could not do better than this". You are obviously not an attorney.
    Oh, and don't get too worked up. Like I wrote before, unless you work for another camera manufacturer, you shouldn't care what others use or recommend. To each his/her own.

Cool Confrontation misdirected ... get the bargain!

Ryan,

I am a bit confused about your side of this simple proposal, as the α700 was developed long before (like 4 years) the advent of DSLR video. It is holding its own, still (as decent stuff usually does) and now can be had for a chilling price of only $850 (42.5% of its "Full Frame" big brother, the α850)!

I mean, all the introductory camera folks can get total prosumer DSLR capability for just a couple hundred more. You want video, buy it ... but don't cry about it not being in a four-year-old, excellently designed camera.

C'mon ... Some image takers are seriously going to benefit from this bargain pricing. Not everyone is interested in making movies and having to struggle with capacity and splicing! I think you need to pick your contests better. This one is not the place.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 09-26-2009 at 06:12 PM.
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Ryan,

I am a bit confused about your side of this simple proposal, as the α700 was developed long before (like 4 years) the advent of DSLR video. It is holding its own, still (as decent stuff usually does) and now can be had for a chilling price of only $850 (42.5% of its "Full Frame" big brother, the α850)!

I mean, all the introductory camera folks can get total prosumer DSLR capability for just a couple hundred more. You want video, buy it ... but don't cry about it not being in a four-year-old, excellently designed camera.

C'mon ... Some image takers are seriously going to benefit from this bargain pricing. Not everyone is interested in making movies and having to struggle with capacity and splicing! I think you need to pick your contests better. This one is not the place.
    Don, you just said that the A700 is good, but only when not compared to any of the competition because they contain technology that the A700 doesn't.

WHY?

Stop with the double talk, Don, and answer the damned question. You posted an opinion, I'm challenging you on it. Or are you going to go the route of insulting me again instead?
    E-510
    E-1
    Zuiko 14-54 F2.8-3.5 MkI
    Zuiko 70-300 F4.0-5.6
    Konica Hexanon 52mm F1.8
    Cullmann 2503
    Benro KS-0

the a700 is a good camera. its certainly not the "best of" anything. but its a decent tool for a cheap price. if features is your thing then its a bargain. if IQ is your thing though, there are far better options out there that are either cheaper or not much more expensive.
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

Okay, which camera are you going to put your SONY lenses on with better IQ? Just curious.

flickr & Sdi

Okay, which camera are you going to put your SONY lenses on with better IQ? Just curious.
    Purplish-blue.

Still waiting on that answer, Don, to your original opinion, not the three zillion edits you've made since then.

Oh, and it's Pentax/Samsung, not Olympus/Samsung.

Don, if your argument is now that the A700 represents a reasonable upgrade path with someone who already has Sony lenses, that's fine, that's cool, it's by all means a capable body.
    But that's not what you posted.
    Last edited by jekostas; 09-26-2009 at 07:47 PM.
    E-510
    E-1
    Zuiko 14-54 F2.8-3.5 MkI
    Zuiko 70-300 F4.0-5.6
    Konica Hexanon 52mm F1.8
    Cullmann 2503
    Benro KS-0

sorry, i didnt realise you were only talking about sony dslr's.
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

Thumbs up A700 ... it's a solid choice

Yep ... only SONY. Why bother with the rest?

If you are using Nikon glass ... you have the Nikon and Fujifilm option

Canon glass ... Canon bodies

SONY/Minolta glass ... SONY bodies

Pentax lenses ... Pentax/Samsung

Olympus .... well, you know.

You know, if you have forgotten which forum you are in ... just look near the top of the page. It is kind of self-explanatory.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 09-26-2009 at 10:46 PM.

flickr & Sdi