Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Thread: Lens Problem

Lens Problem

Hi,
    To keep it simple:
    I recently bought a Sony A700 with the standard sony (18-70mm?) kit lens thrown in free.
    Having heard of this lens' reputation I also bought (seperately) the Sony 75-300mm f4.5-5.6 A Telephoto Zoom lens which appealed to me in the store and which I am fairly happy with (even if it isn't the most easy to use lens for a newbie!).

What I would like some advice on is which other lens' (on a sensible budget) should I buy to go with the A700 & the 75-300mm?

I am aware that there are numerous threads similar to this but I'm a bit stuck on choosing, especially given I already have one (the 75-300mm) and am not sure what others would go well with as I put together some gear?

Much Appreciated!

Depending on how much you are willing to spend.
    I would recommend the Sony 16-80mm ZA, Sony 50mm f/1.4 or 50mm f/1.8 and if you want a better telephoto lens than the 75-300mm, you can get the Sony 70-300mm G SSM. And if you are on a budget, the Sony 55-200mm is supposed to be better than the 75-300mm.

Then there are the Tamron and Sigma alternatives as well as the older Minoltas.
    Canon EOS 7D

flickr
    FLUIDR

What's sensible?
    Lukas

Camera: Anonymous
    I could tell you but I wouldn't want you to get all pissy if it's the wrong brand

Flickr

The question is unanswerable without knowing your particular photographic interest and budget.

My bad, budget at the moment would be up to 500, with a view of spending something similar further down the line as my interests develop, etc.
    I am relatively new to photography (this is my first DSLR), but at a push I'd say my favourite style/s are macro and (at the other end of the scale!) landscapes. I am open to suggestions of good lenses for other styles though!

Sorry for missing these details out before and thanks for your input (esp. Elisha)!

If macro, I would go for the Sony 100mm f/2.8, Sigma 105mm f/2.8 or Tamron 90mm f/2.8.
    Preferably the Sony of course.

For wide angle, the Sony 11-18mm DT is supposed to be a good lens and so is the Tamron 11-18mm.
    Canon EOS 7D

flickr
    FLUIDR

Thanks again, much appreciated! Now to make a list and decide which to prioritise, any other suggestions are of course welcome! :P

If you ditch the lenses you have right now, you can add more $$ to your budget.
    A few here would recommend the Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 since it is a good lens and reasonably cheap.
    You really need to find out what you like to shoot first.
    Canon EOS 7D

flickr
    FLUIDR

Sigma 10-20 for landscapes, Tamron 90mm for macro and portraits
    Lukas

Camera: Anonymous
    I could tell you but I wouldn't want you to get all pissy if it's the wrong brand

Flickr

Lightbulb Here's an idea ...

You might want to review the sticky thread, at the very top of this SONY DSLR forum (<- click on this link). It reviews a lot of the popular choices of "reasonably-priced" lenses ... and may be a good list to turn into paper and head off to the camera store with.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 09-17-2009 at 01:51 PM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi