Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Best portrait lens suggestions please...

I tried doing a little bit of searching before posting but, instead of sifting through a lot of results I thought I would just ask.

I went to the mountains last weekend and took "Engagement photos" of my wifes cousin and her fience. I really enjoyed taking the pictures and I enjoyed the outcome of the "shoot." I really think she is pleased with a lot of the pictures. Most of the pictures turned out well, but I ended up having to do a little PP on basically all of the pics.

Anyways, that being said, I am looking to start trying to take couples pictures as frequently as possible. I am not charging at the moment because honestly I am not sure if my quality is worth charging people, especially friends. I am looking for a good portait lens, I guess one with a large aprature, for more creative shots and low light conditions. I know you get what you pay for typically, but remember I am not charging for this, so please keep suggestions as cheap as possible.
    Last edited by jcray19; 09-14-2009 at 07:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jcray19 View Post
    I tried doing a little bit of searching before posting but, instead of sifting through a lot of results I thought I would just ask.

I went to the mountains last weekend and took "Engagement photos" of my wifes cousin and her fience. I really enjoyed taking the pictures and I enjoyed the outcome of the "shoot." I really think she is pleased with a lot of the pictures. Most of the pictures turned out well, but I ended up having to do a little PP on basically all of the pics.

Anyways, that being said, I am looking to start trying to take couples pictures as frequently as possible. I am not charging at the moment because honestly I am not sure if my quality is worth charging people, especially friends. I am looking for a good portait lens, I guess one with a large aprature, for more creative shots and low light conditions. I know you get what you pay for typically, but remember I am not charging for this, so please keep suggestions as cheap as possible.

I am going to attach a few of the images for a little (or a lot) criticism.

Thanks,
    jcray19

Here's one picture:

You need to link the .jpg

What's your budget?

What lens did you use?

It looks pretty good, a bit soft (out of focus?).

As a general rule, for portraits, I would consider the 50mm F/1.4, 50mm F/1.8 SAM, or Minolta 50mm F/1.7 on an even tighter budget.

If you've got the money to spend, the Sony Zeiss 85mm F/1.4 would be an excellent option.
    flickr

Canon 7D - 5D | 550EX - 430EX II - (2) PW FlexTT5 | 24-105 f4L | 70-200 f2.8L IS | 100 f2.8L IS | 50 f1.8 II

Well, I'm not sure what kind of money I can talk the wife into. Is a couple of hundred dollars too cheap to do anything with??

These pics (that I cannot seem to link) were taken with the infamous KIT LENS!

Here is the link to the album.... I think.

http://picasaweb.google.com/jcray19/...eat=directlink

Zeiss 85mm or 135mm

Which lens did you use?

Some are just plain out of focus:

Many are pretty nice.

For a few hundred. I would get the sony 50mm F/1.4

Here's my unboxing video
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCPXoHSw14c&fmt=22
    flickr

Canon 7D - 5D | 550EX - 430EX II - (2) PW FlexTT5 | 24-105 f4L | 70-200 f2.8L IS | 100 f2.8L IS | 50 f1.8 II

Lightbulb Picture this ...

Chris,

Another consideration, that you might get a rebate on, is the TAMRON SP AF 90mm Di LD MACRO lens. It is a dandy MACRO, as well as long enough to pop for a very sharp "portrait lens."

Hunt around for your price ... then get that rebate ($60).
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

You've got a 70-300 G SSM, so use it.
    The 70mm (105mm) end is a very useful portrait length. Granted there is no wide angle but you have feet.
    The longer shooting distance is less intimidating to some people.

You need to check for focus issues with your camera/lens combo.

RE'The longer shooting distance is less intimidating to some people.

KEEPS THEM LOOKING SKINNY TOO...

Yep, the Ladies love the Skinny perspective.