Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Exclamation Two day warning

Two more days ... you can't even give it away! LOL

Well, it wasn't like there was some incentive for participation.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 09-28-2009 at 03:03 PM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr® & Sdi

I wanted to make a better post and tried to do research but i found it very difficult to find information on all 3 lenses on a single website for an even comparison.

How does this lens compare to the sigma 70-300 anyways? I have this one.
    Sony α300
    flickr

Quote Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
    I wanted to make a better post and tried to do research but i found it very difficult to find information on all 3 lenses on a single website for an even comparison.

How does this lens compare to the sigma 70-300 anyways? I have this one.
    The Tamron is slightly better than the Sigma variants.

But Don did say this is for people that do not have that range covered .....
    flickr

Canon 7D - 5D | 550EX - 430EX II - (2) PW FlexTT5 | 24-105 f4L | 70-200 f2.8L IS | 100 f2.8L IS | 50 f1.8 II

I think IQ wise they are the same except that you run a chance of stripping the gears on the Sigma.
    Canon EOS 7D

flickr®
    FLUIDR

Exclamation Gear Shredding!

The SIGMA 70-300 is pretty notorious for focus gear failure. Members of our own forum have dealt with it ... by buying the TAMRON 70-300.

Admittedly, it is only a $150, but who likes to waste money and be inconvenienced for any amount?

The SONY focusing motors are pretty snappy ... and can overpower those rather delicate SIGMA gears. w/o much effort.
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr® & Sdi

The only Sigmas worth considering are the EX line.
    And I actually like most of the EX HSM line as well.
    However there are many that report the 17-70mm DC non EX is pretty good for the money.
    Canon EOS 7D

flickr®
    FLUIDR

Thumbs up All we ask is ... do your best!

Quote Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
    One of the things I was trying to get the participants to do was actually compile the information from ALL available sources and subsequently 'weed' through the good parts, develop a sense of understanding the various information and comparisons, and present them in such a way that everyone could appreciate -> even those who are not participating.

You can call it a "learning experience" of sorts. I like to have those whenever possible, so all members and "lurkers" can glean information and make informed decisions, using their own noggins .. and not just some professional writer's opinion. While the magazine's researchers can present helpful facts and whatnot ... it is the "shooters in the trenches" that I have learned to trust.

Please present your arguments and comparison charts. Time is running out.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 09-28-2009 at 04:29 PM.

flickr® & Sdi

Facts will only confuse you Don - the only way to be really sure is to pay for it, hold it, and pretend to test it against the others. Then regardless of the results, you already own it - so skew the results (if necessary, which I really doubt) and sell the other dinosaurs. I really don't see a downside.. unless you have my VISA card number!!

Besides, if I do the work I'll only develop an insatiable and unaffordable 'need' to get it myself, and I can't let you do that for -er to me!
    Last edited by jimr-pdx; 09-28-2009 at 04:33 PM. Reason: it sucked the first time
    JimR - gear list changes daily
    http://picasaweb.google.com/alphaPDX

Red face Weighing in on the situation

I know it may not seem like a major decision, but $1600 for a lens is ... a bit of change. Especially when I have the range pretty well covered from at least four points (actually more). The lens you seem to be "factually" ignoring weighs a whopping 54 ounces! Have you ever lugged around that much on a DSLR? Well, I have. That gets real tiresome after the first half hour and downright irritating after the second one.

Gravitational FACTS:

The TAMRON 200-500 f/5-6.3 weighs only 43 ounces.

The Tokina AT-X 840 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6 weighs a mere 34 ounces. That's 20 ounces less for the same range!

Question:
    When you are out hiking around ... with ol' betsy around your neck ... you tell me what you want to carry? An extra pound and a quarter, for slightly better IQ ... and the added $1000 cost?

Convince me, buddy. I am waiting ...

flickr® & Sdi

warm and fuzzy inside

I get all warm and fuzzy inside with the thoughts of winning the lens and only paying the cost of shipping with only having to do a little reseach...now that my shipping fees are researched as well I feel complete

Express Mail® Friday, October 2 by 12 p.m $24.70

Express Mail® Hold For Pickup Friday, October 2 by 12 p.m $24.70

Priority Mail® 2 days 4.95 $4.80

Priority Mail® Large Flat-Rate Box 2 days $13.95

Priority Mail® Regular/Medium Flat-Rate Boxes 2 days $10.35

Priority Mail® Small Flat-Rate Box 2 days $4.95

Parcel Post® 6 days $4.90