Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    It's funny how people seem to associate their lenses with the Beercan.
    There are only 3 varieties.
    Beercan 70-210mm f4, Big Beercan 75-300mm f/4.5-5.5 from 1986 and Mini Beercan 35-70mm f/4

Everything else is just an attempt to leech onto the legendary Beercan status.
    Everytime I hear Baby Beercan, Son of Beercan, Cousin Beercan, I just want to fall over and laugh.
    Canon EOS 7D

flickr
    FLUIDR

OK, OK - I'll keep s.o.b. as my label for the State Office Building adjacent to my workplace. I mean no disrespect to the revered original, and the 3.5-4.5 is good enough to stand on its own. Hope the laugh was good, and the fall-over painless

I was tempted to get a Big B off the auction sites, but oh that weight! And of course my recent image just DQ'd me for Don's bargain lens. To regain his pity: I was ready to buy the Di 70-300 a year ago, but decided to put it back and get the Di 28-200 instead. I've paid for my error in lens turnover ever since (sob - no not s.o.b.)..
    JimR - gear list changes daily
    http://picasaweb.google.com/alphaPDX

Question Work at it, will ya?

I thought this would get a trifle more play ... with organized side-by-side charts and what-not. Hmmm ... this decision should take a few minutes, at least. C'mon folks ...
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

i even made a space IN MY CASE ALREADY
    Last edited by SONYNUT; 09-23-2009 at 09:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SONYNUT View Post
    here i even made a space
    so did i.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

Rooz,

for those folks who do not have this range covered ... this is a adequate lens to start with. Cripes, you cannot beat the price!

All I am asking for is for some folks to peel out and present the information on all three lenses ... and make for a compelling argument for me to "justify" the purchase of the SONY AF 70-400mmm f/4-5.6 G SSM versus the two lenses I already have in my bag.

Seems simple enough ... and offers people a chance to do more with their head than simply making for a hat rack. Then again, I am an optimist.

I mean if you want to rubbish a lens ... I don't have to look very far ... as I have just the one ...

Name:  18-70.jpg
Views: 75
Size:  31.6 KB

Oops, not any more ... "PULL!"

Like swatting a fly ... some decisions don't require much evaluation.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 09-25-2009 at 07:36 PM.
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

If I could afford the 70400, and could attach a helium balloon to the tripod socket to take the weight down a notch, I'd be all over it. As it stands my budget will keep me in APSc land for a while yet, with very good but more modest glass. I was recently shocked to discover that the $11 Sigma 28-90 I 'stole' from Ritz closeouts is a full-frame lens - for the price, weight and decent sharpness that's amazing. I'd feel worse about it, but a co-worker went 3 days later and got it for $8 and change, so that helps ease my conscience
    So I have 28-210 covered in case one of the small FedEx planes that constantly are on final approach to PDX lose an A850 or A900 out the hatch. Sure would be nice to cover up to 300 though. And a-mount-world has a decent review of the Tamron Di - like so many bargain lenses, per-copy quality may be variable but many good copies are out there.
    Last edited by jimr-pdx; 09-25-2009 at 07:38 PM. Reason: precision
    JimR - gear list changes daily
    http://picasaweb.google.com/alphaPDX

Question What say you?

Well, I have had a "good" offer for the Tokina AT-X 840 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6 lens ... and that really was not my intent. It is quite lightweight (35 oz) compared to the gorilla SONY version (54 oz).

I am certain a home could also be found for the TAMRON SP AF 200-500mm f/5-6.3 Di LD lens, considering I have a 86mm CP-filter on it, also. Between the sale of both I could switch to the SONY monster, but I am still debating ...

WHY?

Tell me people ... here's your chance ... time's a wastin'! 5-days remain!
    Last edited by DonSchap; 09-25-2009 at 07:53 PM.

flickr & Sdi

Hummmm....

Hummmmm.....

5 whole days left , I dont think I can stand the wait, I check the post on a couple of times a day average to see who has replied, I am sure who ever gets the prize with be greatful, I know I will be first in line with a thousand thanks...All Have a great photographic weekend !