Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast
    Jim,

I do appreciate your viewpoint. Yep, not doing anything further is an acceptable solution this time. I am not rying to please anyone other than myself, as this is my hobby, and not my profession. If I could write these acquisitions off ... cripes,

I would have them ALL!

That reminds me ... I need to do a "glass-family" shot, one of these days. Better break out the 14mm, eh?
    Last edited by DonSchap; 09-29-2009 at 08:29 PM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Quote Originally Posted by DonSchap View Post
    Other than the "riotous" speed of the PRIME lens, they shoot equally sharp, Ryan. Losing the zoom range and lightweight of the 70-200mm f/2.8 seems impudent. I bought the 200mm for sports photography with the Full Frame and the APS-C (effectively 300mm f/2.8). The 70-200 zoom was purchased as a match-up set for indoor work with the 28-75mm f/2.8.

The SONY 70-400mm f/4-5.6 G SSM is just too dark to be of much use indoors. Heck, it's at f/5 at 200mm!

If I were hauling all the primes in my backpack, I would be spending more time swapping lens than taking images. Studio work is one thing, but when you are shooting outdoor activity ... things happen quick and I have found that routine lens swapping just does not get 'er done.

And I kind of have to ask ... why in the heck would I sell my favorite MACRO lens? Do you know something I don't?

You may be selling your gear for video capability, but I do not suffer from such desires. On the contrary ... I have a little video camcorder. Spielberg has nothing to fear from me.
    Yeah, well I have my reasons for wanting video.

But seriously, back to the lenses, why not just get a Sony 70-200mm F/2.8 G SSM, one lens solution done, and it'll cost you about the same (your logic).

I figured the 135mm CZ would make up for the lack of zoom, but come to think of it a Sony 70-200mm would be ideal.

And as for the macro, do you really need it? I haven't seen many macros from you where you would need such a large MFD to achieve the same 1:1 magnification. You'd be better off with a lighter macro if you still wanted one like a 60mm F/2 or the 90mm F/2.8 (or dare I say the Sony 100mm F/2.8).
    flickr

Canon 7D - 5D | 550EX - 430EX II - (2) PW FlexTT5 | 24-105 f4L | 70-200 f2.8L IS | 100 f2.8L IS | 50 f1.8 II

Cool Choosing a MACRO lens ...

Ryan,

I have BOTH the SP AF 90mm f/2.8 Di ...

Name:  a850-90mm-RLAM-macro.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  247.1 KB

and the SP AF 180mm f/3.5 Di LD

Name:  180mm-RLAM-mount.jpg
Size:  363.0 KB

and darn good MACROs they are. Unfortunately, the 90mm tends to reach out dramatically when you focus! The 180mm does not change shape, as all focus takes place inside the housing. Also, the 180mm has two LD components, which totally eliminate any CA you may encounter using a telephoto solution. It really is a class act lens.

Besides, I bought these lenses when I was still in school ... with an "educational discount." They were such a bargain, I just couldn't pass them up. Imagine, superior, sharp PRIMES. No, not the fastest focusers on the planet, but they autofocus sharp as a tack.

I have to ask, have you gone down my GEAR LIST? I have ... am I am seriously wondering what you guys want. I'm pretty confused with all this complaining. Why are you all trying to get all your photography out of three lenses. C'mon ... "variety is the spice of life!"

Well, until we get to the "kit" lens ... then, I have another phrase for that.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 09-29-2009 at 10:16 PM.
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Ryan,

I have BOTH the SP AF 90mm f/2.8 Di ...

Name:  a850-90mm-RLAM-macro.jpg
Size:  247.1 KB

and the SP AF 180mm f/3.5 Di LD

Name:  180mm-RLAM-mount.jpg
Size:  363.0 KB

and darn good MACROs they are. Unfortunately, the 90mm tends to reach out dramatically when you focus! The 180mm does not change shape, as all focus takes place inside the housing. Also, the 1800 has two LD components, which totally eliminate any CA you may encounter using a telephoto solution. It really is a class act lens.
    That's great, but when was the last time you actually used either. And seriously, you have the 180mm to reduce CA? That's easily reduced in PP and you shouldn't carry an extra 920g just to do that. The 90mm can accomplish anything the 90mm macro wise. I didn't say either were bad macros, just that you don't seem to have a need for it. For other stuff, you can use a Sony 70-200mm.
    flickr

Canon 7D - 5D | 550EX - 430EX II - (2) PW FlexTT5 | 24-105 f4L | 70-200 f2.8L IS | 100 f2.8L IS | 50 f1.8 II

Cool What lens do you NEED?

A NEED???

Now, you break me up. When was the last time you just happen to have a MACRO on your camera and were just walking around. A MACRO is not usually a "walk-around" lens. If you have a NEED for one, you make plans for its use. If you do not own a MACRO lens ... I guess, step 1, you NEED TO BUY ONE. Okay, we can check that off, eh?

I do not post everything I shoot. We'd be here all day long. I have the capability to SHOOT darn near anything, as it stands. Yes, I lack the 3000mm f/10 14" telescope, that's true. I picked the Full Frame α850, HVL-F58AM Flash and the Minolta AF 200mm f/2.8 APO G HS instead. Maybe next year. Another $10,000 set aside for "refined" optics. Things come when they do, there is no hurry with these "premium" items. Would they be fun to have ... darn tootin' But, I'm not feeling the strain anymore. The load is distributed among almost every kind of lens you can use, except tilt/shift -> Now that I have a Full Frame, that is indeed something I really NEED to look at.

Besides, what more can you ask ... I am trying to give the 70-300mm f/4-5.6 a good home ... asking the contest winner to simply pay for the shipping to get it there. Now, that really is a lens that does not get used anymore, except for a comparison test. I know SOMEONE will enjoy its effectively new condition.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 09-29-2009 at 10:53 PM.

flickr & Sdi

Cool Understanding the rules ...

Quote Originally Posted by cascadingshadows View Post
    why dont I ?
    You need to read the initial post in this thread ...

SONY DSLR owners:

If you do not already have one of these lenses, I invite you to participate in a small contest to win one. This is a friendly contest, so do not get nuts.

I have a TAMRON AF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 LD MACRO (Minolta/SONY mount) lens that needs a new home. It is in very good condition and has been rarely used. A $159 lens, when new.

To win this lens, you need to write a reply to this thread with the following basis:

"I believe Don should purchase the SONY AF 70-400mm f/4-5.6 G SSM lens to replace his Tokina AT-X 840 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6 and TAMRON SP AF 200-500mm f/5-6.3 Di LD lens for the follow reason: (then provide a detailed rationale for why I should do this, which specifications of all three lenses stated and whatever supporting evidence you can come up with)"

Also, the winner must cover the shipping of the lens to your location from Chicago, Illinois, USA.

Yeah ... you all may learn something with this. That is not so bad, pushing forward the forum's vast knowledge and experience.

Good luck and I look forward to reading some interesting discussion and ultimately deciding the most compelling of the lot. Get started ... yeah!

EDIT: Contest ends: Oct 1, 2009
    You stated you have a SONY 75-300 f/4-5.6 ... it's the same kind/class. Still, I thank you for a brilliant effort and assisting the forum in understanding the capabilities of these various lenses. Of course, if you gave your lens away to some other SONY DSLR user ... ... you would not OWN one any more. Just a thought ...
    Last edited by DonSchap; 09-29-2009 at 11:06 PM.

flickr & Sdi

show us a handful of great shots from the tamron 200-500 please.
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

Oh, not this again. Remember the F-22 I gave you?

Here ... let me remind you, then.

Name:  F-22_Panorama.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  199.7 KB

Name:  F-22-soar.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  131.1 KB

and then ... a little patriotism, to boot.

Name:  flag-fall.jpg
Views: 63
Size:  213.1 KB

and then, my graduate, across the field, from the top of the stands.

Name:  steppin-up.jpg
Views: 64
Size:  228.3 KB

and of course, what would a 500mm shot be without pseudo f/1.4 aperture added on?

Name:  The-Graduate-w-blur.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  136.4 KB

Do you have your shots sorted by lens, 'Rooz'?
    Last edited by DonSchap; 09-29-2009 at 11:59 PM.

flickr & Sdi

OOO, sorting shots?!? I'll have to try that maybe some weekend I'll really use tags to mark lenses, people & places. Maybe.
    JimR - gear list changes daily
    http://picasaweb.google.com/alphaPDX

A NEED???

Now, you break me up. When was the last time you just happen to have a MACRO on your camera and were just walking around. A MACRO is not usually a "walk-around" lens. If you have a NEED for one, you make plans for its use. If you do not own a MACRO lens ... I guess, step 1, you NEED TO BUY ONE. Okay, we can check that off, eh?

I do not post everything I shoot. We'd be here all day long. I have the capability to SHOOT darn near anything, as it stands. Yes, I lack the 3000mm f/10 14" telescope, that's true. I picked the Full Frame α850, HVL-F58AM Flash and the Minolta AF 200mm f/2.8 APO G HS instead. Maybe next year. Another $10,000 set aside for "refined" optics. Things come when they do, there is no hurry with these "premium" items. Would they be fun to have ... darn tootin' But, I'm not feeling the strain anymore. The load is distributed among almost every kind of lens you can use, except tilt/shift -> Now that I have a Full Frame, that is indeed something I really NEED to look at.

Besides, what more can you ask ... I am trying to give the 70-300mm f/4-5.6 a good home ... asking the contest winner to simply pay for the shipping to get it there. Now, that really is a lens that does not get used anymore, except for a comparison test. I know SOMEONE will enjoy its effectively new condition.
    Guess that makes me weird then. I walk around with my macro all the time. 100mm prime lens / macro. Or 50mm prime and macro. But most of my walk around trips entail mostly macro shooting.

But still, do you really need both? To rooz's point, lets see some macros from both! (I honestly don't recall any macros from either of the two lenses).
    flickr