Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by DonSchap View Post
    No HDR and they still complain ...
    my comment was from quite a while ago when you did have hdr's. since removed.

just curious though, how do you feel the a850 is going ? i must admit i was expecting to see alot more fine detail in the trees/ leaves. what are you usiong for web resizing ?
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

Two weeks ago on Skyline Drive in Shenandoah National Park. The trees were just starting to turn and were not quite as vibrant as I had hoped. It also didn't help that there was a nice solid white-grey cloud cast.
    Name:  _DSC6825W.jpg
Views: 100
Size:  289.7 KB

Of course, as I was on my return drive to D.C., the cloud cover started to break up. Just my luck.
    Darin Wessel
    α 900
    Zooms: Tamron SP AF70-200mm f2.8 Di LD Macro; Sigma 28-90mm D macro, Konica-Minolta 18-70 f3.5-5.6
    Primes: Minolta 28mm f2.8; Sony 50mm f1.4
    Minolta RC-1000 remote commander

Film:
    Calumet Cambo CC400 4x5 View Camera
    YashikaMat 6x6 TLR (other accessories)
    Minolta Maxxum 7000 w/ Minolta 35-80mm f/4-5.6 & Minolta 2800 flash
    Minolta Maxxum 5000i & Vivitar 728 AFM flash
    What's next???

Cool Don't shoot until you see the "white" of old man Winter's eyes

Fall has fell ... nothing but browning leaves on the forest floors and the bare trees ... waiting for the promise of Spring ... six or more months away!
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

my tree died this summer, since chopped down...wouldn't you know it i had more leaves than when i had a tree just from neighbors...

Benefits of Shooting RAW

Last month I was in DC and Virginia. Went to Shenandoah National Park to photograph fall colors. Conditions were less than ideal with a nice white-grey cloud cast. Some of my shots were in JPEG and others I took in RAW. The lighting conditions were such that the fall colors (which were already somewhat muted) came out flat (even with the Autumn setting), as in this JPEG:
    Name:  _DSC6764W.jpg
Views: 54
Size:  308.6 KB

Shooting at a -EV in JPEG didn't seem to really help. So, I switched to shooting raw and figured I could have more control over the image in post-production.

The raw images had the same washed out feel. However with a slight downward tug on the tone curve, the colors popped.
    Name:  DSC6766W.jpg
Views: 53
Size:  274.7 KB

I could not seem to get the same results with the JPEG shots through PS adjustments. Perhaps I just don't have enough experience with PS, but the adjustments in RAW were a snap.

I was able to do this over-the-top saturation in PS which I found to be an interesting image.
    Name:  _DSC6763AW.jpg
Views: 54
Size:  479.9 KB
    Darin Wessel
    α 900
    Zooms: Tamron SP AF70-200mm f2.8 Di LD Macro; Sigma 28-90mm D macro, Konica-Minolta 18-70 f3.5-5.6

Film:
    What's next???

My eyes..aaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Cool Searing visual intensity

Yeah, interesting ... like looking at some remote, far off planet.

It reminds me of a saying that floats around in my head, as I color correct and adjust images, when using PS and the Raw Converters -> "Just because you can ... does not necessarily mean you should."

When I see people play with the tonal curve in the HDR images ... creating all sorts of uniquely colored alterations in the spectrum, it leads me to believe that "natural" can sometimes be far more beautiful, when just left alone. To each their own.

By the way, 'jekostas' would probably and more than likely say ... "You overexposed" the shot by 7/10s of an f-stop. Metering and working with overcast light is often corrected by just speeding up the exposure, or tighten the aperture one-click. To preclude the slop, I bracket. That way I have a +2 and -2 Ev image to "futz" with. I mean, c'mon, it is not like I am going to run out of ... "film?"
    Last edited by DonSchap; 11-06-2009 at 10:01 AM.
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

By the way, 'jekostas' would probably and more than likely say ... "You overexposed" the shot by 7/10s of an f-stop. Metering and working with overcast light is often corrected by just speeding up the exposure, or tighten the aperture one-click. To preclude the slop, I bracket. That way I have a +2 and -2 Ev image to "futz" with. I mean, c'mon, it is not like I am going to run out of ... "film?"
    I was shooting manually and initially set as metered. After looking at the first several images, I adjusted my settings for a -1EV on subsequent shots. They looked reasonably good on the A900 screen. On my laptop, however, they were still washed out.

Adding a further -EV to the raw images just made everything darker. The slight adjustment to the tone curve in the RAW image made the muted colors more vibrant while maintaining a natural appearance. Adjustments I tried to the JPGs in PS could not replicate the simple adjustment in RAW.
    Darin Wessel
    α 900

Film:
    What's next???

Um, so correcting the exposure would be fixed by dialing down the aperture, or increasing the shutter speed...

Right, so, question, isn't that the same as the original shot being overexposed?

Yes?

No?

And you fixed this "problem" by exposure bracketing the image?

Don, wow, you're really good at not knowing what you're talking about. If you're going to insult someone, you should probably try reading what you post, first.

Oh, and centre-weighted metering combined with a polarizing filter would've helped, though you essentially duplicated the effect of the latter by processing the RAW file.
    E-510
    E-1
    Zuiko 14-54 F2.8-3.5 MkI
    Zuiko 70-300 F4.0-5.6
    Konica Hexanon 52mm F1.8
    Cullmann 2503
    Benro KS-0

Red face Don't cloud the issue ...

When you are "metering" for the image, you tend to follow the camera's choices. Personally, I got a little gun-shy when my SONY AF 50mm f/1.4 decided it did not want to close "right away" when the shutter release was triggered, giving me all sorts of curious exposure issues.

I tend to stick with the meter and see what shows up. Obviously, others may not do this and it is not an insult 'jekostas' ... I actually invoked your name as a reference concerning this particular shot. So make your twisted comments as you see fit, but understand ... we all have a method to our effort.

I often wonder how many of our pieces of equipment have small issues we are unaware of. I sent my lens to SONY twice ... and it wasn't until I had a third-party present it that SONY finally got the idea I was on to something. If figure if the repair pros have issues with the gear ... what chance do the novices have?

@ Darin: Exposure can be really touchy with low contrast lighting and the use of filters can help a bit. obviously, the camera needs as much light as it can get to provide the exposure and you can often struggle down (with software) the exposure from a good +1Ev. Pushing the exposure up, though, provides a "noise opportunity" that can ruin the shot.

From my training, in school, "exposing to the right" means shooting with the meter reading at the right of zero, tending toward overexposure. This lifted the shadows a bit, but color loss is a distinct possibility. With the Creative Style settings, you can fight a few steps to get the color picked up.

With my custom "Autumn Leaves" selection, I have:

Saturation +1
    Sharpness +2
    Brightness -2
    Zone -1

You might give that a shot, so to speak.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 11-06-2009 at 07:36 PM.

flickr & Sdi