Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Monitor Advice

No point really. Just keep it on one big partition. It's easier to work with.

When you install your OS, you format it then with the Windows CD.
    flickr

Canon 7D - 5D | 550EX - 430EX II - (2) PW FlexTT5 | 24-105 f4L | 70-200 f2.8L IS | 100 f2.8L IS | 50 f1.8 II

i can run hdtv out...great for macro...just pop it up on the 52"

If I format it with thr CD doesn't that mean the DVD software would need to be installed first?

I'd recommend to have a 2nd partition. It would really save a lot of headaches if any problems arose in the future. For example, if you store everything on the second and you get a virus it makes it a lot easier to reformat as you can just do C drive and D will still have all your documents ready to go. Otherwise you would have to take your harddrive out and plug it into another computer to backup... pretty troublesome, especially with laptops.

If you have 2 harddrives through it is probably unnecessary for the average user but i do it anyways because i don't put anything on the same partition as my os.
    Sony α300
    flickr

can you recommend any guides then lol? every guide I read still uses Windows 98 wtc lol. Can't seem to find anything... modern!!

I don't remember any of the exact words they use but when you put in the disc it has option for "custom install" which should give you an option somewhere saying "create partition" All you have to do is type in the amount you want for the partition and used the rest of the free space in your 2nd partition. Click on the first partition and click install or what ever. It's really simple once you've done it once of twice.

If you ever need to reformat you just put the disc in and get back to the screen with the partitions and delete/format the c drive and install over it again.

Also, i think if its the first time, you will have to format the 2nd partition inside windows which can be done by right clicking D drive > format
    Last edited by PaulS; 10-09-2009 at 02:04 AM.
    Sony α300
    flickr

Yes, you need to partition your hard drive both for best performance and for ease of recovery.
    With a single HDD disk you're best with three partition like so...
    Name:  Partition inf 01.png
Views: 30
Size:  150.1 KB
    Partn S: is located at the beginning (the fastest part) of the drive and only contains the Windows Swap file and Photoshop Scratch files.
    Partn C: the Boot drive contains only the O/S and Programs.
    Partn D: contain only your data files.

If the boot drive becomes unuseable for whatever reason, the O/S can be reinstalled whilst holding your Data files untouched. You also have the option of taking a byte by byte backup of the C: partition for fast restoration to a working system.

This is somewhat complex to set up so you may want to consider a two disk solution especially when a small SATA drive costs less than 30.
    Name:  Partition inf 02.png
Views: 29
Size:  154.6 KB

As has been said, you only need the Windows installation disk to create partitions. The how depends on whether it's XP or Vista and the size of the S: and C: partns depends on which O/S and how much RAM you have.