Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Monitor Advice

*whoosh* that's the sound of your advice going over my head!!

I'm not a total computer noob but overclocking and disk subsystems are a little out of my league!! I can understand the rest of it in the main however.

The HD seems to be quite expensive for 300gb, is there a reason for that? I also like to do a spot of online gaming so will the graphics card give a decent output?

Thanks for your help

The Western Digital Velociraptor is about the fastest HDD you can buy. Link two together in a Raid0 (striped) configuration and they work even faster.
    This is important when you are dealing with large files because the Disk Subsytem is a bottleneck. The downside is that they are relatively small, however 300GB is plenty for working with current files with the 1TB drive providing longer term storage before archiving.

If you go down this route create three partitions P1=20GB (Swap and scratch), P2=50GB (Boot Drive) and P3 (Documents and Photos). This puts the windows swap file and adobe scratch files on the fastest part of the HDD (this is best regardless of which HDD's you go for).

A mild overclock with a decent mobo is not difficult and I'm sure we all can help out. I have a Q6600 running at 3.3GHz which is faster than the Q9650 at twice the price.

I dont think a fast drive is so important to me as to spend 250ish on it to be honest!! I prob would be more than happy with the 1TB slower version as I don't really work with large files that require such speedy access to the HD. Even my photos are only around 4 meg a piece at the moment and the crappy laptop that just melted seemed to handle them very quickly indeed!!

Or what you could do is get a 120GB or smaller Solid State Drive for your Windows installation and the other drives just for storage.
    That will ensure Windows will boot lots faster and will have lots less lag when running apps as well.

My old E6600 has been running 3.6Ghz minimum non stop for almost 3 years now. In winter she runs at 3.8Ghz. Wanted to try Quad but when I was ready, the i7 came out so I'll just have to upgrade to that eventually.
    Canon EOS 7D

flickr
    FLUIDR

Yes, solid state Boot drives will become the norm but I'm not ready to make the jump yet. You really want an SLC-based flash drive and these are still ultra expensive. I'll give it another year for the technology to mature and the prices to come down. In the meantime a fast pair (or three) of Raptors in Raid0 will do me.

Bob, I think you'll change your mind when you switch to RAW but you can always do it a bit at a time. 1TB now and a RAID array or Flash drive later.

SSD is coming down in price now that Intel has come up with a new technology to produce them for cheap. The prices have been dropping rapidly the last month.
    Canon EOS 7D

flickr
    FLUIDR

Grab an intel X25-M (80GB) it's a great value right now. I wouldn't bother with 10k drives. The Intel MLCs are top notch.
    flickr

Canon 7D - 5D | 550EX - 430EX II - (2) PW FlexTT5 | 24-105 f4L | 70-200 f2.8L IS | 100 f2.8L IS | 50 f1.8 II

Write throughput is pretty important in post processing of RAW files when you can easily be juggling 200MB of data (more with the A900 RAW's) and the same, only more so, goes for audio/video editing and similar applications. When it comes to writing this data sequentially to a formatted drive, the X25-M doesn’t come close to a pair of 10k drives in RAID0 or even a single 15K drive.
    The X25-M's replacement, the X25-E (using SLC technology) delivers more than twice the write throughput of it's predecessor but at a price (600 in the Uk for a 64gig) and it still doesn't get to the write through performance of the hard drives, although it's much closer.

However, the flash drive does shine when it comes to loading the operating system and in random access intensive scenarios where it's incredibly low access time give it a big advantage over the HDD. In addition, the power consumption of these drives is a fraction of that of the HDD, so these drives will inevitably take over the server market and that's bound to have a positive affect on prices. The ideal solution is a flash drive for the Operating System with a 10K RAID handling your working files but, like I said, I'm not prepared to splash out 600 for the X25-E. But it will come down in price, at which time I can just add one to my system. Who knows, in five years time we may all be sporting Terrabyte flash drives in our PCs.

yeah I was thinking storing programs and the OS on the SSD and editing files from a regular hard drive. It should be plenty fast.
    flickr

Canon 7D - 5D | 550EX - 430EX II - (2) PW FlexTT5 | 24-105 f4L | 70-200 f2.8L IS | 100 f2.8L IS | 50 f1.8 II

Since we seem to have a few experts here...

I've been continuing my research into how to build a PC and am now onto the stage where I need to do the inital HDD partition and format.

Is it a good idea to partition part of the HD exclusively for the OS? I don't think I'm going to fork out for multiple hard drives just yet and am wondering whether it's worth partitioning the single HDD I get.

According to a guide I've been reading, for the initial partition and format it appears that I need a 'system disk' which will allow me to run the required commands. The guide detailed that this is a floppy disk lol. I don't even intend to have a floppy drive... is anyone aware of the modern day equivalent of this process?