Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
    You know, Elisha ... I found the focus speed fine on the α850 ... about 1/4 second to 3/4 second. ... and I have no problem with that. It seems perfectly at home on the Full Frame and nowhere near as slow as it is on 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di, which seems to crawl to its focus. The 28-75 zeroes right in ... occasionally bounces a smidge one way then the other and LOCK!

I think the TAMRON (not the SONY, unless they get real) will be an outstanding lens option for the price. SONY still has not settled on a price. So, here's my idea: $449.99 and call it fair. Since the TAMRON can be had for around $329 ... geez!
    Last edited by DonSchap; 09-04-2009 at 10:30 AM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Believe me I've tried

Quote Originally Posted by jekostas View Post
    Y'all keep using this term....
    "HDR", as it pertains to photography, doesn't mean taking a single exposure and post-processing the crap out of it.
    I've tried to explain what HDR means and subjects that need that treatment. The originals used for the "Sony forum HDRs" always seem to have the info that will fit into the dynamic range of the sensor. Don just seems to like the very subtle difference in putting all of that processing into a result that basically looks the same as the original. I've given up trying. I just accept the misnomer now.
    Last edited by TenD; 09-04-2009 at 06:32 PM.
    A good photograph is knowing where to stand.
    Ansel Adams

Rule books are paper, they will not cushion a sudden meeting of stone and metal.
    Ernest K. Gann-Fate is the Hunter.

So does the proposed original image fit the definition??
    A good photograph is knowing where to stand.
    Ansel Adams

Rule books are paper, they will not cushion a sudden meeting of stone and metal.
    Ernest K. Gann-Fate is the Hunter.

HDR!!!
    Jecostas and TenD have this absolutely right. A single image cannot produce an HDR in a month of Sundays; the RAW image contains all the data in that single exposure and you need to learn how to process it to bring out the best.
    An HDR image requires multiple exposures in order to produce a dynamic range greater than the 5EV of the sensor, maybe 7 or 8EV. The clue is in the name .. High Dynamic Range.

Exclamation Flash fluke!

Okay ... I found out something that really burst my bubble.

EDIT: Strike the following statement, below ... this was a mistake and improper use of the hot shoe. Please be aware of a tiny click when the SONY flashes are fully inserted into the hot shoe of the A850. It is important for PROPER operation of the flash

Using a MANUAL LENS (namely the SamYang 8mm f/3.5, but this apllies to Adaptall II and other mounted manual-aperture lenses) on the α850 disables flash ... I mean all flash. If the camera does not have lens information to the internal metering computer ... the flash icon on the LCD goes away ... and NO FLASH!

This does not occur on the α700 ... you get both the external and built-in flash icon and operation with any lens mounted.

Hmmm ... that's a real "re-thinker"

End of Strike through
    Last edited by DonSchap; 09-08-2009 at 08:48 PM.
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

I know that the a900 had a limitation when using manual lenses but I didn't know it was flash related.
    Canon EOS 7D

flickr
    FLUIDR

Quote Originally Posted by DonSchap View Post
    Okay ... I found out something that really burst my bubble. Using a MANUAL LENS (namely the SamYang 8mm f/3.5, but this apllies to Adaptall II and other mounted manual-aperture lenses) on the α850 disables flash ... I mean all flash. If the camera does not have lens information to the internal metering computer ... the flash icon on the LCD goes away ... and NO FLASH!

This does not occur on the α700 ... you get both the external and built-in flash icon and operation with any lens mounted.

Hmmm ... that's a real "re-thinker"
    Holy crap that's... that's almost bloody evil.

On the other hand, and I say this with complete honesty - I'm not surprised Sony would do something like that.
    E-510
    E-1
    Zuiko 14-54 F2.8-3.5 MkI
    Zuiko 70-300 F4.0-5.6
    Konica Hexanon 52mm F1.8
    Cullmann 2503
    Benro KS-0

Question News flash?

Strike-throughGuys ... it came as a shock ... believe me!

Here I was, yesterday, preparing to shoot a really wide indoor shot with the 8mm ... hoping to use the new HVL-F58AM mounted on the α850 ... set iit all up and I notice the flash is ready ... but there is no flash indication on the Camera's LCD. It is this "lightning bolt" icon ... and, as I said, it shows up on the α700. On the α850, I push the shutter release ... no flash.

I went through every available flash control mode (fill flash, rear sync, wireless), trying to trick it into working ... no soap!

What I was able to do was put the camera's shutter speed in "BULB" ... and manually trigger the flash ... literally light painting the image. Man, that's definitely not the preferred way I shoot images. Here's that shot ... unedited ... right out of the α850 ... in need of a crop ... LOLEnd of Strike-through

Name:  _DSC0408.jpg
Views: 97
Size:  256.8 KB

Here's the same room using an uncorrected Tamron AF 14mm f/2.8 LD panorama ... but you get normal flash operation.

Name:  Great-Room_Panorama1.jpg
Views: 100
Size:  553.1 KB

To me, the TAMRON obviously delivers a much higher IQ (Image Quality) ... the colors are richer and, of course, the TTL operation of the flash is working. I guess I am a little dismayed at this outcome concerning the use of manually controlled lenses.

And this is "Goodbye Summer" from the right rear window ...

Name:  goodbye-summer.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  589.7 KB
    α850 w/ TAMRON 28-75mm f/2.8
    @ 28mm - f/6.3 - 1/160 sec. - ISO-200 - CWA - Daylight

Remember that rock out there, on the beach? Back in June, the lake water was on this side of it It does not appear to be much, but that is a three-foot drop in depth.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 09-08-2009 at 08:52 PM.

flickr & Sdi

Hmmmm.never noticed any problem ..i always use manual modes anyway..

I'VE USED FLASH WITH MACRO RIG..600 MIRROR..FISHEYE..ALL ARE T.MOUNTS
    Last edited by SONYNUT; 09-08-2009 at 08:13 PM.