Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Lightbulb Things I am now aware of ...

Okay ... it seems to be a memory card "seating" issue. The α850, to my surprise, has a kind of protective "pin-straightener", for lack of a better term, built into the CF memory slot. Since the camera is new ... and the α700 does not have one of these in it ... it is constantly 'pushing back' on the CF as it is inserted, causing a kind of "unexpected" resistance to the insertion. Obviously, you do not want to force anything delicate, like this, and apparently, I was not being ... heh heh, firm enough with my insertion. Lord knows, this can be touchy stuff as I have "overpowered" many things in my life, without expecting it and experienced the bitter results of such ... coercion.

Anyway ... I did wind up getting a 16GB UDMA card for the α850 ... just in case. It wound up being a ProSpec 305x, for $140 ... priced instantly, instead of waiting for a darn $60 SanDisk rebate and I also save an additional $20.

Deciding to cut my travel losses ... I also picked up a 72mm Hoya CP for the Minolta AF 200mm f/2.8 APO G HS ... and I hope it does not negatively effect that rocket focus ... cause that's a niiiice.

Oh, you have to remember, Calumet Photographic does not get a lot of SONY traffic. You guys need to order more stuff, so they take us seriously. I know we all could appreciate a little more support of our cameras.

Anyway ... you have to envision this:

So, here I am ... walking in with the α850 cradled in my left arm ... with what lens on the front of it? Class?

Uh huh, the CZ 135mm f/1.8! That always gets these guys thinking that you are one serious SOB. When a >50mm f/1.8 lens is mounted ... people notice, because the first element begins to grow enormously in accordance with the focal length.

Anyway, the sales guy (remember, these dudes see gear all day, every day) takes one look at the fully-stacked DSLR and says, "Nice lens!"

Now, I know there is no way in God's Green Earth this guy has ever seen anything but a Canon EF 85mm f/1.2 USM II to speak of, so now I have his interest. He puts the camera to his eye and says, "I know a guy who would just love this set up."

I counter with only response that I feel would be reasonable at that point, "Yeah ... SONY bodies stabilize the PRIMES ... so you can shoot, indoors, handheld. You guys need to stock SONY lenses." LOL

I swear, all they had were three SONY DSLR bodies ... an α300 on the sales floor and two on the shelf, behind the counter, the α900 and a new α380.

Anyway ... EXPOSURE ... to the masses. It is the only way! I just wish SONY knew that and had these stores promote their product ... just a little more.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 09-03-2009 at 06:10 PM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

yeh..even the biggest store here has just the low end lenses and cameras

national camera

My younger German Shorthaired Pointer is only 3 years old and keeps messing up his leg and/or hips. He plays too hard, does something wrong, and then limps 3 legged for a month. I'm sure by the time he is 10 years old he will be a mess. I hate to hear what your buddy is going through Don, its not fun.

On a brighter note, congrats on the A850. The pic of him is nice and really shows off what a full frame is good for. The nice resolution and great depth of field. Lets see some with the CZ, I'm excited to see the results!
    Jason Hamilton
    Selective Frame

EOS 5D - Canon EF 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF 35 f/2, EF 50mm f/1.8 Mk II, EF 70-210 f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF 85mm f/1.8 USM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro, Helios 44-2 58mm f/2 (with EOS adapter), 430EX, Canon S90
    Nikon FE - Nikkor 35mm f/2 AI'd, Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 AI, Nikkor 105mm f/2.5 AI, F to EF adapter, 2xVivitar 285, other lighting stuff
    Mamiya C220 - 80mm f/2.8

Gear List flickr

Smile 1st A850 HDR run

Well, since I was down at the store ... I decided to get that glass tower in Oakbrook, again. So, here's another with the 28-75. It is an HDR ... because I like 'em! And I wanted to see how it turned out ... the sky had some color, but only at a -2 Ev ... I merged it in.

Name:  Oakbrook-Tower_HDR2.jpg
Views: 120
Size:  348.2 KB
    α850 w/ TAMRON SP AF 28-75mm f/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF)
    @ 50mm f/5.6 - 1/80 sec. - ISO-400 - Center-Weighted Metering - M - Daylight - Handheld - HDR
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

kinda bright

Quote Originally Posted by DonSchap View Post
    Well, since I was down at the store ... I decided to get that glass tower in Oakbrook, again. So, here's another with the 28-75. It is an HDR ... because I like 'em! And I wanted to see how it turned out ... the sky had some color, but only at a -2 Ev ... I merged it in.

Name:  Oakbrook-Tower_HDR2.jpg
Views: 120
Size:  348.2 KB
    α850 w/ TAMRON SP AF 28-75mm f/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF)
    @ 50mm f/5.6 - 1/80 sec. - ISO-400 - Center-Weighted Metering - M - Daylight - Handheld - HDR
    That.... is really awful.
    E-510
    E-1
    Zuiko 14-54 F2.8-3.5 MkI
    Zuiko 70-300 F4.0-5.6
    Konica Hexanon 52mm F1.8
    Cullmann 2503
    Benro KS-0

Red face Geez Louise ...

Quote Originally Posted by jekostas View Post
    That.... is really awful.
    Okay, alright already ... here's the base Ev shot. So much for interesting ...

Name:  Oakbrook-Tower.jpg
Views: 121
Size:  304.9 KB
    Last edited by DonSchap; 09-03-2009 at 08:01 PM.

flickr & Sdi

Much better....

I think it's a tad too bright still since it looks to be about dusk.
    flickr

Canon 7D - 5D | 550EX - 430EX II - (2) PW FlexTT5 | 24-105 f4L | 70-200 f2.8L IS | 100 f2.8L IS | 50 f1.8 II

That is so much better than the "HDR" shot you posted... there's actual contrast and detail, as well as better colour depth.
    E-510
    E-1
    Zuiko 14-54 F2.8-3.5 MkI
    Zuiko 70-300 F4.0-5.6
    Konica Hexanon 52mm F1.8
    Cullmann 2503
    Benro KS-0

Thanks ... practice practice practice ... HDR can be a little rough ... depends on what you want.

flickr & Sdi