Tamron 17-50 f/2.8
    Tamron 2x Converter
    Sony HVL-F42AM
    Quantaray 70-300 4.5-5.6 Macro
    Slingshot 200 Bag

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22083244@N06/

http://s305.photobucket.com/albums/nn219/sparkie1263/

Unhappy A parting shot ...

At this point, the decision was either mine or the good Lord's ... well, maybe I'm being vain, but I think I'm a bit more merciful, this time -> his pain ends ...

My puppy's final hour ...

Name:  Trakkers-Final-Hour.jpg
Views: 303
Size:  285.3 KB
    A850 w/ T28-75mm f/2.8
    @ 40mm - f/4 -1.6 sec - ISO-400 - Camera propped on the floor - CWA metering - Natural light (daylight) - M

Last edited by DonSchap; 09-23-2009 at 08:45 PM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Question FF MACRO ... FF or Crop Mode ... you decide

Moving to a happier aspect of photography, I set up the α850 with the SONY RLAM and the TAMRON SP AF 90mm f/2.8 Di MACRO ($399 after rebate) lens.

Name:  a850-90mm-RLAM-macro.jpg
Views: 368
Size:  247.1 KB

This is about the quickest you'll get from MACRO, except that TAMRON released the SP AF 60mm f/2 Di-II MACRO ($549) for the SONY-mount, today ... which actually will work on the A850 and provide you will an identical image ... only in APS-C crop mode! Hey, it's your money, right?
    Last edited by DonSchap; 09-29-2009 at 12:58 AM.
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Lightbulb Sensored imaginings ...

Now, with Nikon making its move with the D3s ... SONY seems now poised to drop the new prototype DSLR. This is an amazing time in camera design. I sens(or) something in the air ...
    Last edited by DonSchap; 10-14-2009 at 06:59 PM.

flickr & Sdi

prototype dslr ? whats that ?
    so when sony put video in dslr i guess video will all of a sudden be a great thing. lol
    D800e l V1 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l EP5 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

Can't you just feel my anxiety ... as I wait to get one? Funny, me neither. How about that, huh?

flickr & Sdi

Thumbs up A little more room in the seat ...

Well ... this thread saw the demise of my favorite dog ... but, the issues with using low-end memory still cannot be ignored. The α850 (and perhaps the α900) do not like to play with 133x speed memory ... at all. So, last September, after I received my α850, I bought a 305x 16GB Calumet ProSpec CF as the primary CRF for my camera. This card has was worked without issue and I have faith that it would probably continue to do so, except ...

I bought a 420x 32GB Calumet ProSpec card. There is something to be said for having 1355 24MP full-sized X.FINE JPEG images (833 RAW or 657 RAW + 12MP JPEG) available to you. It also unleashes the 35-shot Large X.FINE JPEG burst mode. Yeeeeaaaaaahhhh!!!! You sure can burn down the capacity of a card at that rate. Thank God for Vertical Grips and their little extra battery.

It was kind of amusing to see the look on the counter-clerk's face, as I slipped the new and faster memory card in, put the α850 in full drive and let 'er rip, creating an auto-focused, pseudo-movie right there in the store, at 3fps, no flash (ISO-640, 1/80sec, f/2.8) and no stuttering. BANG FOR THE BUCK!

Anyway, the cost was about $170, but that always changes as things progress. I know one thing, for sure, the sales taxes are about to explode ... so, if you are planning to buy anything of substantial cost (lenses, rigs, lighting ... paper & ink?) ... wisdom says get 'er done.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 03-22-2010 at 07:59 PM.

flickr & Sdi

Don, if your 305x 16GB Calumet card won't do 35 Large X.fine JPEG in one go then you should send it back as faulty.

The Sandisk ExtremeIV (45M/sec) does 175+ so you shouldn't need to pay extra for a 60M/sec card to get the performance.

BTW I'd rather not have all my eggs in one basket so I'd prefer 2x 16GB cards over 1x32 GB card.

Question How do you spell R-E-L-I-E-F?

Peter, I now have both the 16GB and 32GB CFs, for roughly the same co$t, only 6 months apart. I really do not like the prospect of having one point of failure and routinely backup my shoots on my hard drives once or twice a week. It is hard not to, seeing that post-processing is almost a daily event, these days.

My biggest issue was that I did NOT have "another" CF card that worked reliably in the α850. I had sold my SanDisk 8GB Extreme IV CF to my brother, back in August of last year, along with the α100 DSLR, not knowing this would be an issue in the Full Frame. I thought the Transcend 16GB and 32GB 133x CF would work just fine ... but, they did not.

Anyway, it is a relief to know I now have two reasonably-sized memory cards and can go on my merry way ... capturing all I survey.

Name:  blast flash.gif
Views: 172
Size:  12.5 KB
    Last edited by DonSchap; 03-24-2010 at 12:38 PM.

flickr & Sdi