Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 715161718 LastLast
    Sorry to hear that, it's a nice shot though!
    flickr

Canon 7D - 5D | 550EX - 430EX II - (2) PW FlexTT5 | 24-105 f4L | 70-200 f2.8L IS | 100 f2.8L IS | 50 f1.8 II

Sorry to hear about your buddy Don.
    A good photograph is knowing where to stand.
    Ansel Adams

Rule books are paper, they will not cushion a sudden meeting of stone and metal.
    Ernest K. Gann-Fate is the Hunter.

Thanks for the sentiment, guys. It's getting a little too common, though, around here ... first cancer claims the father-in-law, in April, then his sister in August ... now, the dog! Enough, already! I have had my fill! 2009 is becoming a pathological disaster!

Once again, I do appreciate the sympathy. Thank you.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Poor dog. Can they remove it by operating on him?
    Is 10 years old for a large breed?
    I though Goldens could live up to 15?
    Canon EOS 7D

flickr
    FLUIDR

A lot of the larger dogs fall prey to various injuries as they grow older. ACL tears and hips dysplasia are probably the most common of the lot, crippling the animal before its time.

My dog showed symptoms of possible cancer, last October, when I had a pretty good-sized polyp removed from his interior, as it was blocking his alimentary canal, like a cork in a bottle. After emergency removal, the vet then warned me this could be a symptom of things to come and he could develop more of them, but instead of the return of any interior polyps, the cancer apparently went outside alimentary canal, into his musculature and could not be detected until it grew large enough to begin affecting everything else ... due to sheer pressure and no where else to go. In less than a year, we are here. My dog's 'blood work' shows nothing unusual ... which is how cancer can work its insidious magic ... veiled in total mystery, even to the host body. He has been a normal, healthy animal, except for this 'thing.' Removal seems highly unlikely, because of the way these things grow and entwine with normal tissue. But, until the sonogram, Thursday, even that is still uncertain. We just do not know enough about what is there and where ... yet.

The costs just skyrocket as we get into the "advanced" diagnostics, such as an MRI, which would be required to present the veterinary surgeon a detailed map of where and what to remove. This would probably be considered an "unscheduled surgery" and subject near emergency care pricing. All in all, $10,000 ... if it is even possible to perform, without a rather dismal conclusion.

Mercy comes is many forms ... and as I have unmercifully found out ... cancer does too, waiting to return.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 09-16-2009 at 09:49 PM.
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Unhappy A tragic and tremendously sad conclusion ...

Update: My dog has been so crippled and his normal digestion so blocked by the insurgence of the cancer, we are bypassing the ultrasound examination all together, as more 'insult to injury.' As it has played out and with caring advice of friends, confidants and my veterinarian, I will regretfully lose my puppy on Friday afternoon ... and I sigh knowing that you cannot beat inevitable genetics. I appreciate all the heartfelt support of my best friend of the past ten years and know that this terrible and tragic pain he has had to endure is mercifully over. He will be missed ... more than I can ever say.

flickr & Sdi

:-(.......

Sorry to hear that Don, sounds like it's the best thing though.
    Ansel Adams

Rule books are paper, they will not cushion a sudden meeting of stone and metal.

Unhappy He's gone ...

Forever is silenced the bark of "I'm ready to come in."

Thanks for your sympathies ... he was a one in a million.

flickr & Sdi

It is always said that no matter how many wonderful and happy years a dog lives, you know that one day, the day that he dies, he will break your heart. James Herriot.

Sorry about your loss Don.
    Ansel Adams