Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
    Should it look like this?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by SONYNUT; 09-04-2009 at 03:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SONYNUT View Post
    Should it look like this?
    No, you nuked it in the other direction than Don did.
    Jason Hamilton
    Selective Frame

EOS 5D - Canon EF 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF 35 f/2, EF 50mm f/1.8 Mk II, EF 70-210 f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF 85mm f/1.8 USM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro, Helios 44-2 58mm f/2 (with EOS adapter), 430EX, Canon S90
    Nikon FE - Nikkor 35mm f/2 AI'd, Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 AI, Nikkor 105mm f/2.5 AI, F to EF adapter, 2xVivitar 285, other lighting stuff
    Mamiya C220 - 80mm f/2.8

Gear List flickr

Since you say you like HDR I quickly threw one together:

I think I like the one I just lowered the EV on and applied a slight curve to though:

How's the high ISO performance of that FF? I have had a 5D for over a year now and I have been nothing but impressed with it. I thought you were going to get some high quality lenses instead of a new body?
    A good photograph is knowing where to stand.
    Ansel Adams

Rule books are paper, they will not cushion a sudden meeting of stone and metal.
    Ernest K. Gann-Fate is the Hunter.

Glass is where it's at

Cool The "complete" package ... so far

Quote Originally Posted by TenD View Post
    How's the high ISO performance of that FF? I have had a 5D for over a year now and I have been nothing but impressed with it. I thought you were going to get some high quality lenses instead of a new body?
    Jim,

The idea of finally having an affordable FF was more appealing than I thought. I have been struggling with APS-C limitations for several years. I certainly would not consider ANOTHER APS-C sensor camera, as any kind of upgrade.

The CZ 24-70mm f/2.8 or CZ 16-35mm f/2.8 are lenses that I can eventually adopt, when finances provide. We are talking in excess of $3500 to make that move. I have decided to "limp" by with rather the "acceptable" results of the "28-75 f/2.8" and "17-35 f/2.8-4" TAMRONs. Specifically, I acquired the AF 200mm f/2.8 APO G HS to have a long and fast telephoto. The TAMRON 70-200mm f/2.8 is a terrific and flexible lens, but when it comes to action ... it's a little tardy.

I also built up a wide-angle assortment of PRIMES (14mm f/2.8, 20mm f/1.8, 24mm f/2.8, 28mm f/2.8), but they really lacked their true W-I-D-T-H when placed on an APS-C sensor. These excellent lenses are, quite, literally driven back into much tighter widths (FOVs) on the APS-C. Please note that my CZ 135mm f/1.8 also reverts back to its true "portrait" size of 135mm ... where it had acted like a 200mm f/1.8 (only) when mounted on the APS-C sensor. I did not want to drop another $1400 for the purchase of a CZ 85mm f/1.4 simply to effectively achieve a "135mm portrait" lens, that I already ready had ... on a FF. On the FF ... these lenses instantly achieve their designed operation. There is a monster-effect on all of my glass and well worth the extra few bucks it costs. Like I said ... it isn't going from APS-C to APS-C ... it is moving to Full Frame ... and where, I feel, the art should be going back to. Heck, I am putting my money where my mouth has been ... it is not a hypocritical belief.

These are "chess-moves", in my opinion ... jockeying for position and advantage, with the resources I have available ... without being skinned alive! It is similar in notion to the improvement of non-stabilized lenses being placed on SONY DSLR bodies. Unlike Canon or Nikon ... you immediately get "stabilized-shots" out of EVERY single lens you mount on the SONY for no further expense. That has always been attractive. So much so, I threw off the Canon System, back in 2007 to adopt it fully. Now, here we have a stabilized, Full Frame camera body ... which is the "complete" camera, providing the full W-I-D-T-H to your wide-angle glass and offering stabilization, again, to every single lens you mount. I mean, why not?

Anyway. the 200mm HS and 8mm Fisheye are the extent of my glass purchases, for the remainder of this year. Having the Full Frame sensor behind it makes for the most "complete" package I can achieve, in my estimation.

Glass refinement will eventually take place as funds provide, as there is a limit even to my available resources.

As far as ISO results ... they are the same as the α900. There has been no further improvement that I can detect, along those lines, and SONY has used the identical processing path to achieve them ... so I would not expect much of a change, either.

The biggest "reward" out of the α850 ... is that I not only saved $700 on the body and 15% on the accessories by purchasing it, without having to sacrifice much at all, but that:

I have extended the capability of every single lens in my bag, in one relatively low-cost and swift move.

The α850 really is the α900 Jr.

Name:  A900 Junior.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  110.4 KB

It's just a year later.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 09-04-2009 at 11:45 AM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

So we'll pencil ya in for some zeiss in january

Cripes, Steve ... you want to be my accountant? LOL

I'm not a business ... I just spend like one.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Tax deductions..lol

I really don't think that image is a prime HDR subject at all.
    So Don, is the Tammy 28-75mm only mediocre on the a850?
    How good is the focus speed on it?
    Canon EOS 7D

flickr
    FLUIDR

Quote Originally Posted by Elisha82 View Post
    I really don't think that image is a prime HDR subject at all.
    So Don, is the Tammy 28-75mm only mediocre on the a850?
    How good is the focus speed on it?
    Y'all keep using this term....
    "HDR", as it pertains to photography, doesn't mean taking a single exposure and post-processing the crap out of it.
    E-510
    E-1
    Zuiko 14-54 F2.8-3.5 MkI
    Zuiko 70-300 F4.0-5.6
    Konica Hexanon 52mm F1.8
    Cullmann 2503
    Benro KS-0