Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

A whole new world has opened up to me

This may seem a pretty pointless thread but last night the penny finally dropped about keeping the camera still. 5 months into my DSLR journey i decided to test a tripod. There was little light in my garden and i wanted to get a sharp shot to do some tests. i was amazed how i could set the iso to 200, increase the f. number and stand back as the camera produced lovely shots at 5,10 and 20 second exposures. The best i could manage handheld was a very dark unsharp image. Even though i have read so much about tripods i really was pleased with the difference. Sure a tripod is not practical for everyday shots but im sure my landscape shots can improve.
    Now the dilema of which tripod to buy!!
    Dave,

My flickr

Nikon D40 (18-55mm lens) Canon Ixus 970i

Get a decent one it will last way longer than your D40.
    Mine was a Christmas present in 1982.

My tripod has been one of my most important purchases. I always regret it when I leave it at home. I use it for nearly every landscape shot.

5-20 seconds sounds kind of long for a close up of a plant, unless you have no wind.
    Lukas

Camera: Anonymous
    I could tell you but I wouldn't want you to get all pissy if it's the wrong brand

Flickr

Wait till you get a good tripod then we will introduce you to a good macro lens. That's a hint. Yes tripod isn't an everyday thing for me but it has its time and place that I can't do without.
    I can relate and share your excitement upon finding this new world.
    Nikon D90, D80
    Nikkor 16-85mm AF-S DX F/3.5-5.6G ED VR, Tamron SP AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) macro, Nikkor 50mm F/1.4D, Nikkor 50mm F/1.8D, Nikkor AF-S VR 70-300mm F/4.5-5.6G IF-ED, Sigma 105mm F/2.8 EX DG Macro ||| 2x SB800 | SB600 ||| Manfrotto 190XB

Head north 'til you smack a polar bear, then crank it back 50 miles.
    I don't know what your budget is like, but for less expensive tripods, I'd recommend the Velbon Sherpa 200R. I bought one a few months ago, and really like it. The pan head emulates a ball on two of the axis, so you only have one lever to goof with (unless you're tilting the camera). And its fairly stable, especially for smaller lenses. I wouldn't try to mount of the monsters that some of these guys use, but for casual stuff it works very well without breaking the bank.

cheers, i was photographing the whole garden with the only source of light being the security light. Although 20 seconds was very long it was more of a test and the results were pleasing. Im going to America in a few weeks so would like to get one for then, as im eager for a Times Square night trail shot.
    Dave,

My flickr

Nikon D40 (18-55mm lens) Canon Ixus 970i

D800, D300, D90, 24-70 f2.8, 70-200VR f2.8, 300 F4, 105 micro, 16-85VR, 50mm 1.8, Tammy 90 macro, 70-300VR, SB900, 2xSB600, MB-D10, 055XPROB 322RC2. New computers to run photoshop faster. C&C always appreciated. PhotoGallery
    Pressing the shutter is the start of the process - Joe McNally ... Buying the body is the start of the process - Dread Pirate