Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Canon SX20 IS - Brief Review With Sample Pictures & HD Videos

I stopped at Best Buy today to check out the SX20 IS. I captured 24 pictures and 4 720P HD video clips on my memory card.

I really liked the feel of the camera, the 20x 28mm-560mm lens, and the new location of some of the buttons as compared to my S5 IS.

I uploaded 800x600 versions and originals of the pictures in this gallery -
    Canon SX20 IS Pictures & Videos

The original HD videos can be downloaded at the bottom of the page.

I'm still concerned about the lens being a bit slow (f5.7) when zoomed in and some of the pictures seemed soft. I'd only use the zoom in well lit conditions like at the zoo and I guess the pictures could be sharpened in or out of the camera.

After looking at different cameras for a month, I bought the SX20 today. I already have a few (but older) small point and shoot Canons (2x SD750, etc). I wanted something with better quality pics and better zoom, even though a bit bigger. Today I've taken indoor, outdoor, and 16 second shutter pics with the camera, as well as the 720 video. So far, I am very happy. I looked at similar Sony & Nikon and stuck with Canon. Killer zoom, great close ups from a distance and the flash seems to control itself very well, using as much power as needed. Looking at the pics on my computer, I'm happy.

ISO shots looking good!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rooz View Post
    hands up who hates delobbo !!!!!!
    DeviantArt Gallery

Flickr

Canon 450D + Twin Kit Lens + 50mm 1.4
    It doesn't have to be awkward Will

I hear there's no Super Fine settings on the new SX20. I was ready sell my SX10 and
    get the SX20 until I realized this. The SX20 compresses images more, you get around
    900 images on a 4gb card with the SX10 and about 1200 images on a 4gb with the
    SX20. I'm glad I kept my SX10, I was thinking it would probably be the same
    camera with HD recording.

[QUOTE=Grateful11;389739]I hear there's no Super Fine settings on the new SX20. I was ready sell my SX10 and get the SX20 until I realized this. /QUOTE]

Good point, I didn't notice that. Weird, maybe they figure the software does a better job at rendering and compressing the picture. Anyway, the flash on my SX20 rocks, and I did see that they upgraded it quite a bit as well. I'm still happy with my SX20 so far!

I was considering the SX20 as well but will look for something else now. Whats the point of not having a superfine mode especialy when memory cards are so cheap ?

superfine vs fine

I've looked at Canon SX10 superfine and SX20 fine image examples using JPEGsnoop, a useful utility for peeking into JPEG images.

Based on the approximate quality levels that JPEGsnoop calculates from the quantization tables in the images, I doubt that there are many (if any) real-world images where the a difference in visual quality will be detectable even under pixel level scrutiny. I think it is a non-issue with respect to quality in spite of the differences seen in the file sizes. It is certainly a non-issue if you are printing the images or viewing them at a normal size on a screen.

I did my son's varsity football game last night at a big Texas stadium, and from a distance in the bleechers, the 20x zoom shots looked better than I thought. And after the reviews, I thought above 400 ISO would be no good, but the 800 ISO shots actually impressed me quite a bit and that's how I will take future games under the lights. The 720 video also worked very well and held focus. Interesting, in the camera view finder, I thought the pics were OK. But on the home computer, they were much clearer, less grainy and in more focus than I thought. Again, I'm happy with my purchase.

Hi
    This is a different and such a good camera. Canon is back with a successor, the PowerShot SX20 IS. The new camera gets a higher 12.1 megapixel resolution on the same physical-sized sensor, a 720p HD video capability and an HDMI connection to facilitate playback of images on an HDTV. I have used this camera. Very good picture Quality,

Thank You...

I purchased a SX20 IS about a month ago. This replaces my S2 IS that I have had for several years.

What a leap forward for me. I love the HD 720 video capability.

The movies play very nicely into my Samsung 40" HD using a mini HDMI cable.
    The stereo sound capture is outstanding.
    The stills in HD are sharp and clear.

I took a number of Fall color pictures in :W: format. These look exceptional on the 40".
    Also took some movies in 640x480 resolution. These also came out very well and show real good on pre-HD TVs.

I only have minor complaints about the 'doors' for attachments. Kind of flimsy, and kind of difficult to insert the mini-HDMI cable.

- Jack
    Last edited by Jack; 10-31-2009 at 07:32 AM. Reason: Additions